WJC: Switzerland at the 2011 WJC

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
We shouldn't forget that Sbisa and Josi missed most of the tournament last year.

The offence is much, much better than last year and I also see a very solid defence. Loeffel is playing great for Fribourg lately, Schlumpf isn't that bad and also the others are very solid. And of course, Conz looks even stronger than last year.

agree.

The Defense looks much better than a few months ago, still think it's the weakest part this year. Loeffel seems to cut the corner,will be important on PP.

But let's stay on the carpet (Swienglish... I like!);)and do not forget that they were very lucky last year with their results. (nevertheless well earned cause they played their hearts out...) They were probably nr.8 or nr.9 and miles away of the top when measured strictly by talent.. this year there are still at least 4 teams stronger than them. Though they are as close as hardly ever.

I still think the relegation round is closer than the semis, but I'm very excited.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
How does this Team compare talent wise to previous Swiss WJ teams? Are we beginning to see Swiss youth have a better technical level than before?

Disregarding Bartschi who looks to be a potential 1st round pick, what other 2011 draft eligible players should we be looking for here? Any players likely to be taken in the draft?

It's pretty strong. stronger on offense than defense. which is rare. very solid goalkeeping as often. a lot of small-tiny forwards with good wheels and hands. quite a lot of heart in it as well.

The attack is among the very best ever. comparable to the age group of the 84/85 or 80/79. maybe even tops them.

With Hofmann Switzerland got the best Center talent since ages. (actually it must be Pluess, born 1977!) When he plays a good WJC, he's got a good chance to crack the Top 100.

Bertaggia and Martschini are too small for the NHL probably but they are very talented and love the game. Maybe somebody takes one of them late?

On Defense it's Kukan that is considered as a possible Top-100 talent and Truttman (already in NA) and Guerra with some outsider's potential.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Agree on Hofmann, I've never seen such a young swiss center doing that good against men!
I'm also looking forward to watch a red hot Inti Pestoni, who has 5 goals, 9 points in his last 7 NLA games!!

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
How does this Team compare talent wise to previous Swiss WJ teams? Are we beginning to see Swiss youth have a better technical level than before?

Disregarding Bartschi who looks to be a potential 1st round pick, what other 2011 draft eligible players should we be looking for here? Any players likely to be taken in the draft?

Yes there are a few who should be taken into consideration:

D Dean Kukan
D Samuel Guerra
LW Gregory Hofmann

Those three have a chance to get drafted (of course if they have a good tournament)... Kukan and Guerra both won't catch your eye with their offensiv play, but with their steady and stable defensiv play. Kukan is the more talented of the two... Hofmann has good size and is a clever two-way forward....

There are also some overager who could get drafted like Mauro Jörg last year:

G Benjamin Conz (probably only if he has another outstanding tournament)
C Gaëtan Haas
C Ryan McGregor (who desperatly wants to play in the NCAA)

I attended to the pre-evaluation Camp of the U20 in Arosa and the team looks good. Very, very small but good....

At the moment I put a big questionmark behind Lino Martschini and Dave Sutter in making the team. Especially the defense is looking pretty set when Schlumpf and Trutmann will be added... And Lino is just another small forward in that already small group... It's either him or Alessio Bertaggia, but I can't see them both making the team...

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Yes there are a few who should be taken into consideration:

D Dean Kukan
D Samuel Guerra
LW Gregory Hofmann

Those three have a chance to get drafted (of course if they have a good tournament)... Kukan and Guerra both won't catch your eye with their offensiv play, but with their steady and stable defensiv play. Kukan is the more talented of the two... Hofmann has good size and is a clever two-way forward....

There are also some overager who could get drafted like Mauro Jörg last year:

G Benjamin Conz (probably only if he has another outstanding tournament)
C Gaëtan Haas
C Ryan McGregor (who desperatly wants to play in the NCAA)

I attended to the pre-evaluation Camp of the U20 in Arosa and the team looks good. Very, very small but good....

At the moment I put a big questionmark behind Lino Martschini and Dave Sutter in making the team. Especially the defense is looking pretty set when Schlumpf and Trutmann will be added... And Lino is just another small forward in that already small group... It's either him or Alessio Bertaggia, but I can't see them both making the team...

good summary.

about Hofmann (center not lw)- he must have grown an inch during this season and gotten craftier, looked smaller and a lot more skinny at the beginning of the season, but already played bigger...

agree about Sutter. if they go with 7 defenders as usually, there's definitely no room for Sutter. even with 8 i'm not sure at all.

about the 93s: while I share your concerns I can see them both making the team. Bertaggia shows on NLA level that he's fearless and doesn't stop hustling even when being shoved around. Martschini seems to do just fine in rougher environment in NA.
e.g. Holenstein isn't much bigger.

anyway in recent history a lot of swiss junior teams developed an optimistic, gutsy game style, on a confidence-level we couldn't dream of 10 years ago, even when being overmatched physically. just like the Finns in the 90s.

I've already shared my opinion about the final roster a few month ago and in this thread, but when you've seen them in camp. what's your guess at the final roster?

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
about Hofmann (center not lw)- he must have grown an inch during this season and gotten craftier, looked smaller and a lot more skinny at the beginning of the season, but already played bigger...

Well in Camp he did play with Pestoni and Walser and Hofmann was on LW with Pestoni on the RW and Walser the Center... Doesn't mean it'll be that way at the WJC, but he seems to be playing either Center or LW...

about the 93s: while I share your concerns I can see them both making the team. Bertaggia shows on NLA level that he's fearless and doesn't stop hustling even when being shoved around. Martschini seems to do just fine in rougher environment in NA.
e.g. Holenstein isn't much bigger.

That's what I'm saying... It's a very, very small team! Bertaggia, Martschini are the two 93 smalish forwards... Since both are very jung and very, very small I just can't see them both making the squad... Inexperienced and undersized? I don't know? I just read that the Canadiens Defensiv-Squad has an average size of 6'2!! What should those two boys between 5'5 and 5'8 do against those giants... :)

Pestoni, Engler, Holenstein, Erni, Loeffel are in my eyes undersized but talented.... Camperchioli, Scherwey, McGregor, Antonietti and Untersander are below average... So you see that already makes it 10 players who don't have size as their advantage... So I personally wouldn't add more undersized players, especially kids! I could see them both being cut, not talentwise but team constellation wise....

I've already shared my opinion about the final roster a few month ago and in this thread, but when you've seen them in camp. what's your guess at the final roster?

My Roster would look the following:

Starter: Benjamin Conz
Backup: Remo Giovannini
3rd stringer: Lukas Meili

Pretty obvious... Depends how the tournament goes, I definatly would give Giovannini a start against the f.e. the USA to get Conz some rest... Giovannini is behind Conz but clearly bevore Meili (who is a good Goalie, but don't know if he wins anything on international level? Needs a lot of work on his rebound controll and agility).

Defense:
Romain Loeffel - Nicholas Steiner
Dominik Schlumpf - Luca Camperchioli
Ramon Untersander - Dean Kukan
Dario Trutmann - Samuel Guerra

My cuts would be Samuel Erni, Mike Vermeille and Dave Sutter... Erni is definatly to small for the big stage... Going to be a good NL-Defender, though... Vermeille has the size but is not so an effective defender... With Sutter I'm not so sure since I haven't seen him that often! I could see his size and experience on North American Ice surface as an advantage for him... In that case I could see Guerra dropp out from the defensiv group! Guerra is a good and steady defender, but has limited puck-moving skills.... Like I mentioned before Kukan is ahead of him!

My forward-group would look like this:

Nino Niederreiter - Ryan McGregor - Sven Bärtschi
Tristan Scherwey - Joël Vermin - Gaëtan Haas
Gregory Hofmann - Samuel Walser - Inti Pestoni
Yannick Herren - Reto Schäppi - Lino Martschini

So I would go with Martschini and cut Bertaggia, Antonietti, Engler, Holenstein, Rexha and Reymondin... But I could see Martschini dropp out and be replaced with Benjamin Antonietti.... Walser is also a little bit a question mark and I could see him being cut and in his favour Joel Reymondin could be taken who has the size to his advantage... What I don't like about my forward group is that I only have two right handed shooters (Haas and Martschini) so I'd be missing some weapons on the PP... Anyways overall I realy like the forward group and am thrilled about the 1st line of Bärtschi, McGregor and Niederreiter! They already played together at the U20 Summer Challenge in Arosa and realy excelled....

Last edited:

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
I talked today to assistant coach Sergio Soguel....

He told me, that Jost and his coaching staff are planning in taking 7 Defenders and 13 forwards to the tournament...

Today on the last day on the pre-evualation camp in Arosa Soguel told me that hey are going to cut 3 defenders and probably 3 forwards (unfortunatly no names)...
So they are flying with 3 goaltenders, 5 defenders and 12 forwards to Oshawa... There they get joined by the north americans (another 3 defenders and 3 forwards)....

Sven Bärtschi and Nino Niederreiter are pretty much set, as I think Dominik Schlumpf is... That means one more defender will get cut and two more forwards!

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
The cuts are officialy out.... As expected Alessio Bertaggia, Mike Vermeille, Samuel Erni, Rexha Alban and Joel Reymondin got cut...
Somewhat surprising is that Dean Kukan got cut and Samuel Guerra made it to Oshawa... After watching most of the camp, I realy didn't expect that, since I had the impression that Kukan was the better of the two...

This is the Roster which is attending the Camp in Oshawa:

Goaltenders (3):
Conz Benjamin (SCL Tigers)
Giovannini Remo (HC Davos)
Meili Lukas (GCK Lions).

Defenseman (8):
Camperchioli Luca (ZSC Lions)
Guerra Samuel (HC Davos)
Loeffel Romain (HC Fribourg-Gottéron)
Schlumpf Dominik (Shawinigan Cataractes/QMJHL)
Steiner Nicholas (Kloten Flyers)
Sutter Dave (Seattle Thunderbirds/WHL)
Trutmann Dario (Plymouth Whalers/OHL)
Untersander Ramon (HC Davos).

Forwards (15):
Antonietti Benjamin (Genève-Servette HC)
Bärtschi Sven (Portland Winterhawks/WHL)
Engler Renato (HC Davos)
Haas Gaëtan (EHC Biel)
Herren Yannick (Kloten Flyers)
Hofmann Gregory (HC Ambri-Piotta)
Holenstein Manuel (HC Davos)
Martschini Lino (Petersborough Petes/OHL)
Mc Gregor Ryan (GCK Lions)
Niederreiter Nino (Portland Winterhawks/WHL)
Pestoni Inti (HC Ambri-Piotta)
Schäppi Reto (ZSC Lions)
Scherwey Tristan (SC Bern)
Vermin Joel (SC Bern)
Walser Samuel (Kloten Flyers).

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The Swiss team looks much more solid than I previously thought. I've only heard good things about Gregory Hofmman; do you guys think he'll be taken in the draft this year? Also, how has Conz looked? I've only seen a few highlights of him this season.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I'm so excited to watch them play, this should be one of the best rosters in the past few years. Especially the offensive depht is very special for Swiss teams.
I'm not surprised to see Guerra making the cut, he's been amazing for Davos so far, but I can't say he's better than Kukan since I haven't seen him mutch.
A very skilled but also small squad, with good chances to make the quarter finals.
This is gonna be a great tournament, not only the Swiss, but also their opponents like Germany or Slovakia with one of their better years, quality-wise.
Maybe a bit less to expect than other years from Czech and Russia.

PS: They have to cut 3 more players, right? Ugh, I wouldn't like to be the one to make those last cuts...

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
The cuts are officialy out.... As expected Alessio Bertaggia, Mike Vermeille, Samuel Erni, Rexha Alban and Joel Reymondin got cut...
Somewhat surprising is that Dean Kukan got cut and Samuel Guerra made it to Oshawa... After watching most of the camp, I realy didn't expect that, since I had the impression that Kukan was the better of the two...

This is the Roster which is attending the Camp in Oshawa:

Goaltenders (3):
Conz Benjamin (SCL Tigers)
Giovannini Remo (HC Davos)
Meili Lukas (GCK Lions).

Defenseman (8):
Camperchioli Luca (ZSC Lions)
Guerra Samuel (HC Davos)
Loeffel Romain (HC Fribourg-Gottéron)
Schlumpf Dominik (Shawinigan Cataractes/QMJHL)
Steiner Nicholas (Kloten Flyers)
Sutter Dave (Seattle Thunderbirds/WHL)
Trutmann Dario (Plymouth Whalers/OHL)
Untersander Ramon (HC Davos).

Forwards (15):
Antonietti Benjamin (Genève-Servette HC)
Bärtschi Sven (Portland Winterhawks/WHL)
Engler Renato (HC Davos)
Haas Gaëtan (EHC Biel)
Herren Yannick (Kloten Flyers)
Hofmann Gregory (HC Ambri-Piotta)
Holenstein Manuel (HC Davos)
Martschini Lino (Petersborough Petes/OHL)
Mc Gregor Ryan (GCK Lions)
Niederreiter Nino (Portland Winterhawks/WHL)
Pestoni Inti (HC Ambri-Piotta)
Schäppi Reto (ZSC Lions)
Scherwey Tristan (SC Bern)
Vermin Joel (SC Bern)
Walser Samuel (Kloten Flyers).

I appreciate your inputs directly from the rinks, thanks.

you def. got it right about bertaggia. as pretty much everthing else about the cut-predictions...

I always referred to the roster we got at the very beginning of this thread. so I never thought Walser to even be an option! actually I was upset, that he got no call, cause he started pretty strong into this season after last years missed U-18 WC. can't deny his, much needed, big frame. so if he doesn't get cut they got 2 huge centermen with him and schäppi. that's nice.

Maybe they considered the 2 93s defensmen as even, so they took the one with more NLA-experience? Some older guys like Loeffel, Camperchioli or Steiner really raised there level this season, just in time to make a convincing final run at WJC. But what I don't get is there love for Untersander? I'm not impressed with his play. and who get's cut ? him or Sutter?

I hope they cut Antoinetti on attack. and then I really like the rest... and don't care who else they throw off the boat of the "cutables":)

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Untersander has some experience, that could be the reason. I like Guerra more than him, though. Guerra's the more offensive, moving guy and played most of the NLA games on the first line. Untersander could be a candidate for the defensive cut, he is like an older Sutter, so I'd go with the big guy!
I'd cut Antonietti too. And McGregor if we'd still have enough centers then?!?
It's sad Bertaggia got cut, he's so skilled. But agreed, we've already enough shorties in Martschini, Holenstein etc... They'd get destroyed against Canada or USA.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You guys really would cut Dave Sutter? He has been pretty good this year in the WHL. Big,nasty shut down type of D. Should be solid on the small ice

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Whats the point of having 3 goalies? Aren't they wasting a roster space?
Very excited for the tourney! Can't wait. Really hope Conz has another great tourney so he will have a higher chance of getting drafted, and i'd love to watch Bartchsi for the first time.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I think they won't start the tournament with 3 goalies, I expect Meili to be the cutten one. Giovannini is the better of the two.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
You guys really would cut Dave Sutter? He has been pretty good this year in the WHL. Big,nasty shut down type of D. Should be solid on the small ice

Cause he is the unknown

We haven't had a defensive prospect of a comparable frame (that can play at least solid hockey) in many years here in Switzerland. Plus in the past swiss coaches had the tendancy to take the mobile, smart, fast but small Type of Defender before the Sutter-like Player.
He never was hyped (in swiss dimensions) like Truttman or Kukan.
Plus you don't get a lot of echo about his play over here.
It's nice to hear that he's doing good. How has his skating progressed?

BTW, now that Kukan is cut, the scenery has changed. But who will he beat out? Untersander, the most obvious choice, would play his second WJC, that's a big plus. Guerra, the other option, played solid NLA Hockey this year.

He needs a strong camp. But when he gets the job, I would be excited, he would add some nice new elements to the D. Just think he hasn't the best cards.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
A very skilled but also small squad, with good chances to make the quarter finals.
This is gonna be a great tournament, not only the Swiss, but also their opponents like Germany or Slovakia with one of their better years, quality-wise.
Maybe a bit less to expect than other years from Czech and Russia.

When everything goes their way they could end second in this group, but it's very dangerous as well with Slovakia and Germany in there. That are the 2 important games, they have to win 1 of them (which is not a given) or they are as good as relegated.
It would be so much more relaxing for a team like switzerland having 12 instead of 10 teams...

While Czechia probably got an average generation, they would still be a slight favourite if they meet eachother.

Russia has a very strong team, offensiv skill-wise overall very solid, plus 2 Studs. And they play as good as a team as seldom before. well choached. they are my dark horse for the title. still a little behind the 2 NA teams overall though.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Team looks quite a bit weaker on defense this year with Sbisa and Josi now being overage, but the team looks pretty solid with Niederreiter and Bartschi leading the way on offense and Conz between the pipes.

On the bright side, Dominik Schlumpf has become a solid defenceman in the LHJMQ in the last year.

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
The Swiss team looks much more solid than I previously thought. I've only heard good things about Gregory Hofmman; do you guys think he'll be taken in the draft this year? Also, how has Conz looked? I've only seen a few highlights of him this season.

Conz looked INSANE so far this year. He's playing in the Swiss Top League on a club that usually sucks, and he kind of almost single-handedly brought them on a spot where they will probably hit the playoffs for the first time in years. (No, I'm not a fan of this club). But Conz is doing a terrific job...

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008

Conz - he was overlooked last year despite a strong outlet on the WJC, but he's now playing in the big league and he's doing awesome!

Schlumpf - was already invited to the Edmonton Oilers rookie camp last year, but then released. Is now one more year experienced in the CHL. A strong hulking defensive D-Man.

Maybe a surprise performance by another player might lead to a draft in the lower rounds too...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Can't wait to see Bartschi again. Saw him live earlier this year and he was Portland's best player that game. Great hands and a good edge to his game.

inthehammer

Jul 20, 2005
Hamilton
I was amazed last night when I looked at my program and saw that Lino Martschini was only 5'4. Then I saw him and wondered whether that was on skates. He's tiny, but man is he fast and gritty. Very impressed by him last night, but really he did not look like he will be able to break into the offensive zone against the tall trees that Canada has on defense.

Best of luck in the tourney!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
How do you pronounce Sutter?

Last night on TSN Miller kept saying Suter (as in Ryan Suter).

I thought it was pronounced Sutter (as in the Sutter brothers).

MrTell13

Dec 21, 2010
Cause he is the unknown

We haven't had a defensive prospect of a comparable frame (that can play at least solid hockey) in many years here in Switzerland. Plus in the past swiss coaches had the tendancy to take the mobile, smart, fast but small Type of Defender before the Sutter-like Player.
He never was hyped (in swiss dimensions) like Truttman or Kukan.
Plus you don't get a lot of echo about his play over here.
It's nice to hear that he's doing good. How has his skating progressed?

BTW, now that Kukan is cut, the scenery has changed. But who will he beat out? Untersander, the most obvious choice, would play his second WJC, that's a big plus. Guerra, the other option, played solid NLA Hockey this year.

He needs a strong camp. But when he gets the job, I would be excited, he would add some nice new elements to the D. Just think he hasn't the best cards.

So far I think Sutter is progressing pretty well in WHL hockey. His skating , while not flashy and maybe lacking a blazing top speed, is nibble and solid. Fist pass out is ok and his offensive and def awareness seems pretty decent (taking into account that he only has a half season in this league)
One thing he (in my opinion ) need to learn to really dominate is how to balance the physical part of the game and the skill side.

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
How do you pronounce Sutter?

Last night on TSN Miller kept saying Suter (as in Ryan Suter).

I thought it was pronounced Sutter (as in the Sutter brothers).

Try "Sootter", in German you take the "u" as an "oo" like Maroon ;-) in English.

Sutter pronounced in English reads "Satter" in German.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00