WC: Switzerland at the 2010 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Actually Jan Von Arx was probably never considered, I think you have him confused with his brother Reto.

The coach asked RvA if he would consider returning to the national team, but he declined, saying that his best days were behind him.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
I don't exactly know why Ambuhl didn't have success in the AHL last year with Harford but this guy belongs in the NHL. He's been dominant in the Olympics in Vancouver, he's been outstanding so far in these worlds.

He signed a 3 year deal with Zurich but has an NHL clause until July 15th. It would be a pity if nobody in the NHL signs him.

Geric

Apr 9, 2010
He was used as a bit of a checker, energy type player in Hartford, I believe. Maybe if he had gotten more ice time he would have had more success, or maybe the game was just too different.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
I think this sums up pretty well Switzerland's performance against the Czech's and their performance in the tournament in general, found it on 2010 IIHF WC Germany website:

"In the old days, if the Swiss had upset the Czechs, shots on goal would probably have favoured the Czechs 50-11. Switzerland would have scored a couple of weak goals: a banked shot off a Czech defenceman's skate, a wrister from the corner that squeezed between the netminder's pad and his post. The Swiss players would have celebrated as if they'd won the Stanley Cup, the Olympics, the Nobel Prize, and the World Cup of Soccer all at the same time.

Now instead, the Swiss are playing the Czechs on relatively even terms. Much like at the Olympics, where the Czechs were seventh and Switzerland eighth.

It's a far cry from the 1972 IIHF World Championship in Prague, where Czechoslovakia thrashed Switzerland 19-1.

The most impressive goal last night wasn't a Czech masterwork. It came in the first period, and saw Andreas Ambühl crunching Jiri Novotny in the Czech zone and then converting a great three-way passing play with Thibaut Monnet and Damien Brunner.

“If it wasn't for our goalie Tomas Vokoun, it could have been 6-0 after the first period,†said Marek."

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I think this sums up pretty well Switzerland's performance against the Czech's and their performance in the tournament in general, found it on 2010 IIHF WC Germany website:

"In the old days, if the Swiss had upset the Czechs, shots on goal would probably have favoured the Czechs 50-11. Switzerland would have scored a couple of weak goals: a banked shot off a Czech defenceman's skate, a wrister from the corner that squeezed between the netminder's pad and his post. The Swiss players would have celebrated as if they'd won the Stanley Cup, the Olympics, the Nobel Prize, and the World Cup of Soccer all at the same time.

Now instead, the Swiss are playing the Czechs on relatively even terms. Much like at the Olympics, where the Czechs were seventh and Switzerland eighth.

It's a far cry from the 1972 IIHF World Championship in Prague, where Czechoslovakia thrashed Switzerland 19-1.

The most impressive goal last night wasn't a Czech masterwork. It came in the first period, and saw Andreas Ambühl crunching Jiri Novotny in the Czech zone and then converting a great three-way passing play with Thibaut Monnet and Damien Brunner.

“If it wasn't for our goalie Tomas Vokoun, it could have been 6-0 after the first period,†said Marek."

It's good to read this !

in fact yesterday i missed the game, i watched it late in the night.
the swiss forwards remembered me like piranas around the other teams net in the first period. really beautifull.

the goal you refer to was ... nirvana !

zorz

Mar 8, 2010

Nice, but purpose of that sentecne was that czech players didn't play well, not that swiss team was so strong:)

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Nice, but purpose of that sentecne was that czech players didn't play well, not that swiss team was so strong:)

What this sentence says is that we had at least 6 very serious scoring opportunities. And that Vokoun allowed only 2 to go in.

then what you say is subject to interpretation.
That you played badly because we played well, or
that you played badly therefore we could play well ...
that is the way you look at it or in other words your interpretation.

I, as a swiss, am happy to see this because we were not spoiled by our national team. We had years of poor international hockey. And our national team is emerging. Step by step. This WC, we have a new trainer, the team is 75% new because sickness/injuries/tiredness and 100% plays in NLA and we witness one of these steps. Therefore i prefer adopting the view of being happy and proud about my team that played well rather than being critic toward the other team and say that we scored because the opponent played poorly.

Therefore Marek may have said that as a critik to his players ... it is his perspective (according to you). He still communicates something that i interpret to my purpose.

You can watch the glass half empty in life if you want. You have the choice. i do my choice.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
What this sentence says is that we had at least 6 very serious scoring opportunities. And that Vokoun allowed only 2 to go in.

then what you say is subject to interpretation.
That you played badly because we played well, or
that you played badly therefore we could play well ...
that is the way you look at it or in other words your interpretation.

I, as a swiss, am happy to see this because we were not spoiled by our national team. We had years of poor international hockey. And our national team is emerging. Step by step. This WC, we have a new trainer, the team is 75% new because sickness/injuries/tiredness and 100% plays in NLA and we witness one of these steps. Therefore i prefer adopting the view of being happy and proud about my team that played well rather than being critic toward the other team and say that we scored because the opponent played poorly.

Therefore Marek may have said that as a critik to his players ... it is his perspective (according to you). He still communicates something that i interpret to my purpose.

You can watch the glass half empty in life if you want. You have the choice. i do my choice.

Yea, I understand your POV. We are just also evaluating our performance more than swiss one;)

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
for me it is obvious that the czech republik play an horrible first period and after the first 20 minutes they've starte to play a little better. It was all in all just not enough. On the other hand the swiss played in the first period the best hockey they can and play the last 40 minutes ok. If all goes the normal way and the czech have all player (nhl) they will win 8 of 10 games.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
ChampagnePOP-784298.jpg

We are mathematically in quarterfinals.

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
for me it is obvious that the czech republik play an horrible first period and after the first 20 minutes they've starte to play a little better. It was all in all just not enough. On the other hand the swiss played in the first period the best hockey they can and play the last 40 minutes ok.If all goes the normal way and the czech have all player (nhl) they will win 8 of 10 games.

During the Olympics in 2006, the czech republic had their best players and Switzerland still beat them 2-3.

Shall i also remind you that Switzerland NEVER had the chance to put its best rosters. Even in Vancouver, many of the best players of the Swiss NLA were absent, for example, Bartschi, Guggisberg, Gardner, Reto Van Arx, Michel Riesen, Marcel Jenni etc.. defensemen such Beat Forster, Julien Vauclair and Roman Josi were all absents too.

I wonder with all those players missing, Switzerland could have beaten Canada and the US...We will never know, unfortunately...:shakehead:(

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
champagne.jpg

We are officialy at least 2nd of the group F !!! Mathematically.

And we know that we won't play the Russians nor the Finns in quarter final ! we may play the Slovaks only if we beat the Swedes.
Don't drink too much, you have a game tomorow!

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
I don't exactly know why Ambuhl didn't have success in the AHL last year with Harford but this guy belongs in the NHL. He's been dominant in the Olympics in Vancouver, he's been outstanding so far in these worlds.

He signed a 3 year deal with Zurich but has an NHL clause until July 15th. It would be a pity if nobody in the NHL signs him.

Ambühl has ZERO Business in the NHL.... and I'm swiss too. He clearly proved that he's not capable of doing that step. Any player that is not drafted in the first 2 rounds must prove himself on the farm, in a 3rd or 4th line role. If you prove to be good, your stock raises and you get other opportunities. Ambühl didn't.

Sorry guys, but if we all put away our lovely red'n'white Swiss sunglasses, the only guys from Switzerland currently belonging to the NHL are Mark Streit, Luca Sbisa, Jonas Hiller and Nino Niedderreiter (in 2-3 years).

Maybe give Roman Wick a chance, he is at least a big guy. But the rest from the Swiss team has no business in the NHL.

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
Ambühl has ZERO Business in the NHL.... and I'm swiss too. He clearly proved that he's not capable of doing that step. Any player that is not drafted in the first 2 rounds must prove himself on the farm, in a 3rd or 4th line role. If you prove to be good, your stock raises and you get other opportunities. Ambühl didn't.

Sorry guys, but if we all put away our lovely red'n'white Swiss sunglasses, the only guys from Switzerland currently belonging to the NHL are Mark Streit, Luca Sbisa, Jonas Hiller and Nino Niedderreiter (in 2-3 years).

Maybe give Roman Wick a chance, he is at least a big guy. But the rest from the Swiss team has no business in the NHL.

Ambuhl is yet another victim of the culture Anglo-Saxon. He was misused by the Rangers organization.

Ambuhl belong in the NHL. He was used as a forechecker in his season with Hartford. Hopefully he find another team who really want him and give him a chance to show his skillset.

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
Ambuhl is yet another victim of the culture Anglo-Saxon. He was misused by the Rangers organization.

Ambuhl belong in the NHL. He was used as a forechecker in his season with Hartford. Hopefully he find another team who really want him and give him a chance to show his skillset.

I don't want to offend you, but take off the Swiss glasses. There are thousands of guys like Ambühl in Juniors and in the AHL. Why should a team take him and give him a contract if they can just pick an AHL'er from their organization....

No way he belongs there. He might get lucky, get a contract and become a 4th line player. But he will never, never ever be a Top 6 forward in the NHL. Mark my words, it's just not going to happen.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
How has Aebischer played since returning from NA?
Was he far from the WC-squad?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
How has Aebischer played since returning from NA?
Was he far from the WC-squad?
Oh yes, he's just a shadow of himself.

Following players were on the swiss roster recently, so Simpson ranks it as follows:

Hiller- Not allowed by the Ducks
Gerber- WC squad
Stephan- WC squad
Manzato- WC squad
Genoni- didn't make the last cut for WC
Rüeger- made tte roster for exhibition games
Bührer- made the roster for exhibition games
Bäumle- made the roster for exhibition games
Flüeler- made the roster for exhibition games

So I'd call Abby Switzerland's Nr. 10, as sad as it is.
And young swiss goaltenders like Berra, Mayer and Conz will soon reach Aebischer's level IMO.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Oh yes, he's just a shadow of himself.

Following players were on the swiss roster recently, so Simpson ranks it as follows:

Hiller- Not allowed by the Ducks
Gerber- WC squad
Stephan- WC squad
Manzato- WC squad
Genoni- didn't make the last cut for WC
Rüeger- made tte roster for exhibition games
Bührer- made the roster for exhibition games
Bäumle- made the roster for exhibition games
Flüeler- made the roster for exhibition games

So I'd call Abby Switzerland's Nr. 10, as sad as it is.
And young swiss goaltenders like Berra, Mayer and Conz will soon reach Aebischer's level IMO.

OK, thanks!

Too bad, i really liked him playing for Colorado and as I recalled he was pretty good playing for Switzerland at WCs.

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
I don't want to offend you, but take off the Swiss glasses. There are thousands of guys like Ambühl in Juniors and in the AHL. Why should a team take him and give him a contract if they can just pick an AHL'er from their organization....

No way he belongs there. He might get lucky, get a contract and become a 4th line player. But he will never, never ever be a Top 6 forward in the NHL. Mark my words, it's just not going to happen.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but i don't think there are thousands guys like Ambuhl in the AHL, if Ambuhl is used properly and can crack a roster at AHL level, i see no reason of him of not making an NHL team.

By going to your logic, there are thousand of guys who are as good as Tavares, Duchenne, Martin St-Louis and others and still those guys don't deserve to be in the NHL?

During the WHC, against Canada, Ambuhl outperformed the like Tavares, Duchenne, Stamkos and other Canadian stars and to me, this deserved consideration for the NHL scouts to give him another chance for a contract in another NHL team.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg

I don't want to offend you but you must not follow hockey a lot and must not have a lot of knowledge on the subject. There are thousands of guys like Ambuhl in Juniors and in the AHL?!?!?! That's absolutely not true. The guy was misused, simple as that. You'll see, the same thing will happen with Zucharello if he signs with the Rangers. You don't put a world class player on the 4th line with goons and checkers when the guy is a world class player.

How can you possibly say that there are thousands of players like him in Juniors and the AHL?!?! The guy has won swiss championships, spengler cups, played tremendously at the Olympics (on NA ice!), is having awesome world championships, he's one of the most dynamic players in the tournament, he can hit, score, pass, agitate.

Did you even watch him play in Hartford? I did and it was obvious he couldn't have success. I know that the players New York drafted and that have been in the system a few years should have the edge over free agent signings when it comes to line combinations but putting Ambuhl on the 4th line has no sense whatsoever. Playing 6 shifts a night and playing with guys that barely know how to skate (exaggerating here) was a recipe for disaster from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad