Duca
Wick
Monnet
Bürgler
Damien Brunner
Jenni
Benjamin Plüss
Sciaroni

This is the list of players that were against Germany in the last game.

We have to add the players from Servette and SCB.

I wonder how the swiss team will do in light of the number of good players that couldn't play.
To the exception of Simek and Ambuhl, their will be no player playing in NA !!

What is your view ?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Martin Gerber
Manzato
Helbling
Grossmann
Seger
Geering
Julien Vauclair
Back
Du Bois
Hirschi
Björn Christen
Romy, Stancescu
Simek
Ambühl
Duca
Wick
Monnet
Bürgler
Damien Brunner
Jenni
Benjamin Plüss
Sciaroni

This is the list of players that were against Germany in the last game.

We have to add the players from Servette and SCB.

I wonder how the swiss team will do in light of the number of good players that couldn't play.
To the exception of Simek and Ambuhl, their will be no player playing in NA !!

What is your view ?

Since most teams will be without many of their best players, I think the Swiss team will do pretty well and most likely make it to the quarterfinals. I expect them to finish 7th, and as long as they don't play Germany or Finland I'll be rooting for them.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
After having included the placers from SCB and Servette (playoffs), this is how the provisory roster should look like :

Gardiens (4):
Leonardo Genoni (Davos)
Martin Gerber (Atlant Mytischi/KHL)
Daniel Manzato (Rapperswil-Jona)
Tobias Stephan (Genève-Servette).

Défenseurs (12):
René Back (Davos)
Goran Bezina (Genève-Servette)
Félicien Du Bois (Kloten)
Philippe Furrer (Berne)
Patrick Geering (Zurich Lions)
Beat Gerber (Berne)
Robin Grossmann (Davos)
Timo Helbling (Lugano)
Steve Hirschi (Lugano)
Roman Josi (Berne)
Mathias Seger (Zurich Lions)
Julien Vauclair (Lugano).

Attaquants (19):
Andres Ambühl (Hartford Wolfpack/AHL)
Damien Brunner (Zoug)
Dario Bürgler (Davos)
Björn Christen (Zoug)
Thomas Déruns (Genève-Servette)
Paolo Duca (Ambri-Piotta)
Marcel Jenni (Kloten)
Romano Lemm (Lugano)
Nino Niederreiter (Portland Winterhawks/WHL)
Thibaut Monnet (Zurich Lions)
Benjamin Plüss (Fribourg-Gottéron)
Martin Plüss (Berne)
Kevin Romy (Lugano)
Ivo Rüthemann (Berne)
Paul Savary (Genève-Servette)
Gregory Sciaroni (Davos)
Juraj Simek (Norfolk Admirals/AHL)
Victor Stancescu (Kloten)
Roman Wick (Kloten)

Simpson will have to reduce this number to 23 by may 4th. Still being able to add 2 names afterwards.

Apparently Gerber is posting good performances in the recent friendly games with the Germans and Slovaks ! (he has always been my prefered Goalie ... and I would feel very well if we had him in front of the net)

One of the good things about all these good players that will not be able to come will be the new chances given to new players. I am eager to see many of these new players with a new coach.

any other view ?

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
I hope Niederreiter will get a chance. I'm curious what he's able to bring to the big boys.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Hiller is injured and was not allowed to go by the Ducks. Same problem with Sbisa.

Streit feels tired. There are others missing like Sprunger, Blindenbacher, Von Gunten and some others.

But even with about 13 players missing Switzerland is still able to send a good team to the WC which is able to compete for a place in the QF. This shows the progress Switzerland made in the last few years.

It'll be interesting to see how Roman Josi plays. He was huge in the Playoffs, had between 25 and 30 minutes of ice-time a game. He'll surely have Top-4 minutes at the WC also and will surly be a factor for the swiss PP.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Leonardo Genoni, Robin Grossmann, Grégory Sciaroni and Viktor Stancescu have been cut by Simpson today.

This means that Gerber goes to the WC, congrats, he deservs it.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Hiller is injured and was not allowed to go by the Ducks. Same problem with Sbisa.

Streit feels tired. There are others missing like Sprunger, Blindenbacher, Von Gunten and some others.

But even with about 13 players missing Switzerland is still able to send a good team to the WC which is able to compete for a place in the QF. This shows the progress Switzerland made in the last few years.

It'll be interesting to see how Roman Josi plays. He was huge in the Playoffs, had between 25 and 30 minutes of ice-time a game. He'll surely have Top-4 minutes at the WC also and will surly be a factor for the swiss PP.

the others will also play with missing key players ... but I fully agree. We really made some progress.
Will Ovechkin and Semin play for Russia ? good we are not in group A ... the Pens are still alive :laugh:

Leonardo Genoni, Robin Grossmann, Grégory Sciaroni and Viktor Stancescu have been cut by Simpson today.

This means that Gerber goes to the WC, congrats, he deservs it.

Yessss ! he displayed the best stats in the "friendly" games.
I always had a weakness for him and believe that, while not constant over many games ... on few games in a row, he is among the best goalies in the World.

Black Hawk 1926

Feb 15, 2010
Zürich
I hope Niederreiter will get a chance. I'm curious what he's able to bring to the big boys.

Agreed! He's the next big thing - and maybe not only in Swiss hockey! :nod:

Also I'm really looking forward to finally seeing Simek play. He's in NA for quite some time now and I've never seen him play since.

Brunner will be interessting to watch too.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
even with a depleted lineup, i fully expect the swiss to make the quarterfinals

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not a chance with this roster. I wouldn't be surprise if they miss the top eight.

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The following players were in the Olympic team and will NOT be in the WC :

Hiller
Ruegger
Blindenbacher
Diaz
Furrer
Sbisa
Streit
Von Gunten
Weber
Domenichelli
Jeanin
Paterlini
Saniz
Sprunger
Wick

15!
Impressive !
Time to see how our depth looks like.
Go Switzerland Go

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Very solid 4-0 win vs. Norway. Goals by Monnet, Hirschi, Deruns and Christen.

There will probably be no final cut today. Because players like Brunner and Jenni are not totally fit Simpson will all players take to germany and decide on Saturday who will play.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

There will probably be no final cut today. Because players like Brunner and Jenni are not totally fit Simpson will all players take to germany and decide on Saturday who will play.

I share with you that It was a pleasure to see the team play in that solid way.

I specially apreciated a solo by Nino ... a great move and goal by Deruns and a beautifull save by Gerber.

In fact I couldn't say if it was because of Norway or because of us ... , maybe both. But it bodes well for the coming WC.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
The following players were in the Olympic team and will NOT be in the WC :

Hiller
Ruegger
Blindenbacher
Diaz
Furrer
Sbisa
Streit
Von Gunten
Weber
Domenichelli
Jeanin
Paterlini
Saniz
Sprunger
Wick

15!
Impressive !
Time to see how our depth looks like.
Go Switzerland Go

7 out of 8 defensemen won't be back. I'm confortable with Seger, Josi and Vauclair, and Du Bois and Hirschi are capable players, but I'm not sure Geering is there yet, and I'm afraid good team will skate circle around Bezina and Helbling.

On offense, Wick was the best forward in Vancouver, and Jeannin's experience and Sannitz's PK and work along the board will be missed. Also missing two players able to score will be huge. This team won't lose games because of Duca, Savary, Trachsler or Simek, but these guys won't make the difference either.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Bezina is much, much better than Helbling and just because he had a very bad WC last year I don't want to rate him that bad. He played solid playoffs and surely has the skills and the shape to help the Swiss team.

6 very solid guys on defence is fine, Helbling or Geering will play #7 (I'd bet on Geering) but not see much ice-time.

There will be a hard decision on the offence for Simpson. Jenni and Brunner will surely be in the lineup, so he has to cut two others. Trachsler? Duca? Simek? Christen?
I wouldn't want to take this decision.

But I say again, 15 years ago a Swiss team without 15 of its best players would have been a lock for going down. Now we're still heading to the Quarters and (in my opinion) are still better than Latvia, Belarus, etc.

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008

That was a really solid game. A nice end to end rush by Niederreiter in which he went through 3 Norway players...

I was disappointet by Zuccarello Asan (sp?). He hasn't had any good scenes and was outplayed by Josi. No way he'll have an impact in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad