WC: Switzerland at the 2010 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
That was a really solid game. A nice end to end rush by Niederreiter in which he went through 3 Norway players...

I was disappointet by Zuccarello Asan (sp?). He hasn't had any good scenes and was outplayed by Josi. No way he'll have an impact in the NHL.

I must say that dureing WC 2007 I was extremley dissapointed in this Ovechkin kid. No way he can make impact in NHL.

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
I must say that dureing WC 2007 I was extremley dissapointed in this Ovechkin kid. No way he can make impact in NHL.

No, it's not like that. Niederreiter didn't play really good, but he had his moments, Josi was solid but not really outstanding. But you really regoniced when they were on the ice. Zuccarello was just average at best on a weak team. And it's not like they played a powerhouse in hockey...

It's just my opinion and it would be nice if he'll make it to the NHL, but I just don't see it.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
No, it's not like that. Niederreiter didn't play really good, but he had his moments, Josi was solid but not really outstanding. But you really regoniced when they were on the ice. Zuccarello was just average at best on a weak team. And it's not like they played a powerhouse in hockey...

It's just my opinion and it would be nice if he'll make it to the NHL, but I just don't see it.

I agree ... Niederreiter didn't realy play that much above the others. In fact he even played a bit dangerously sometimes. But i guess it is fine to carry him for the sake of the future and for his future. He still had an amazing move. Brilliant when he slalomed between 3 Norwegians and 17 years old ! putain ! he is powerfull for his age. Yet he is still a bit out of sync with the rest of the team.

Monnet, Duca, Seger, Ambuhl and Gerber were good. Hopefully Stephan can play with the same quality he plays with Servette ... but each time i see him (not playing for Servette) ... i have doubts ... he doesn't reasure me. (Vauclair saved him a goal !) Josi was ok, he builds a good game yet he wasn't the snipper he could have been.

MZA and Thoresen were average in a weak team, Tollefsen the same and Grotnes was the shadow of what he was in the olympics.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
That was a really solid game. A nice end to end rush by Niederreiter in which he went through 3 Norway players...

I was disappointet by Zuccarello Asan (sp?). He hasn't had any good scenes and was outplayed by Josi. No way he'll have an impact in the NHL.

It's never good to judge a player on just one (even a little more) game. You can have a better opinion if you can see a whole of Norway games.

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
Here are the lines against Latvia.

Brunner-Ambühl-Monnet
Lemm-Plüss-Rüthemann
Niederreiter-Savary-Déruns
Jenni-Romy-Duca

Seger-Vauclair
Du Bois-Josi
Hirschi-Bezina

Gerber
Tobias

Helbing and Geering reserved in case of injury.

Switzerland will play its first game against Latvia with twelve attackers and seven defenders as Sean Simpson announced it after practice Friday afternoon. The coach did not complete a list of twenty-three names (the maximum allowed for the first phase) to commence the preliminary round.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So Back, Christen and Trachsler are not nominated.

Simpson has not decided wheter Patrick Geering or Timo Helbling will be defender nr. 7 and he also didn't decide yet if Martin Gerber or Tobias Stephan will start according to TSR.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Will this game be televised or will there be a feed on the net? I am huge Tobias Stephan fan ever since my team Dallas drafted him in 2002. Anyone know if he will start?

Jebuz

Jun 9, 2009
Waterdown
Any particular reason why both Sbisa and Streit have opted out of the tournament?

I haven't heard anything so I'm curious.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Sbisa wasn't allowed to go by the Ducks. Streit said he's too tired.

No decision has been made on the goalie but I think it will be Martin Gerber to start. But Stephan will surely get a start.

Zorkan

I would take Geering over Helbling any day of the week. The only thing Helbling has going for himself is his size, but otherwise he's simply not good enough. On the other hand, Geering's play in the Euro League and against the Blackhawks were impressive, especially considering his age. I think he would do quite well in the WC.

PS: Thank God they sent home Back!

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Will this game be televised or will there be a feed on the net? I am huge Tobias Stephan fan ever since my team Dallas drafted him in 2002. Anyone know if he will start?

It should be on the swiss channels ... that you can also see on Zattoo. ... zattoo.com

I believe that if the game is serious ... Gerber will start. Unless Gerber plays badly or nothing more is at stake, he should remain in the net.

Stephan had an outstanding season and playoff ... but when Gerber is in good shape, he is the king and no other goalie can reach his knees. (my view)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If Gerber plays well vs. Latvia and gets the start vs. Italia I think it's quite possible that Stephan gets the start vs. Canada.

Analyzer*

Hopefully Switzerland does well without Streit, Sbisa, Hiller and Weber.

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
Bezina is worrying me...when Bezina has the puck, he look completely lost...trying to score a goal by shooting the puck after the red line was an absolute awful play by Bezina....it's a shame that only his experience allow him to be selected in the national team.

Timo Helbling should not have been selected...he's the weakest player in the team...

Don't understand why Simpson let Helbing play and doesn't replace him with Geering instead...

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I didn't read anything about sbisa's injury. I read that it wasn't too heavy but the Ducks wanted to send him to the AHL-playoffs somewhere.

I don't think Bezina was that bad, he played a solid game. Helbling was much much weaker.

I'd like to see some sort of special PP-team with Ambühl (or another player who shoots on the right side) and Josi on the blueline and Plüss, Rüthemann and perhaps Brunner (or Déruns). The normal lines just didn't work vs. Latvia.

Gerber will also start vs. Italia, I guess Stephan will get a try vs. Canada.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
I didn't read anything about sbisa's injury. I read that it wasn't too heavy but the Ducks wanted to send him to the AHL-playoffs somewhere.

I don't think Bezina was that bad, he played a solid game. Helbling was much much weaker.

I'd like to see some sort of special PP-team with Ambühl (or another player who shoots on the right side) and Josi on the blueline and Plüss, Rüthemann and perhaps Brunner (or Déruns). The normal lines just didn't work vs. Latvia.

Gerber will also start vs. Italia, I guess Stephan will get a try vs. Canada.

Sbisa broke a finger I believe in the first round of the WHL playoffs. At the time, they said he would need surgery at the end of the season.

http://www.whl.ca/whl-weekly-update-march-2-2010-p141124

shows up on that injury report but I can't find the article that described surgery

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Damien Brunner has been a nicest suprice in Swiss team this so far!

Yes and no, if you followed his path last few years.

No, because he is one of the most talented offensiv winger ever coming out of switzerland. and yes, because he's internationally unproven (and still is against north american grit), never played junior championships (neither u-18 nor u-20), and is physically not really a force, yet.

he's my favourite winger out of switzerland since i've seen him play first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad