Switching back to Home Whites

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
This. Works in international play, why not in the NHL? Come on already, make it happen.

Agreed. I understand if it can't be done for every game, like Toronto vs. Tampa or Montreal vs. Chicago, for example, but it looked great at last year's Winter Classic and I would also love to see more of this.

Last edited:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I grew up with the "Home Whites" and would love for them to go back...but I'm pretty sure its White on the road for the future..

... and home whites is the standard for baseball and basketball.

It just made sense growing up that teams did this.

When I turn on a Kings game and see their white jerseys, I still think for a second that it's a home game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I swear this is the third time we've had this thread this season already. It's not going to happen, dark jerseys sell better and the owners want their more marketable jerseys in display for their home fans, to leave any other aspect out.

Home team should be home colors, just like in football and soccer.

What I do wish is that we'd see more color vs. color games. There's no good reason why the Flyers can't wear their orange jerseys against Pittsburgh's blacks, but the only way we'll see that is in a Winter Classic.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I swear this is the third time we've had this thread this season already. It's not going to happen, dark jerseys sell better and the owners want their more marketable jerseys in display for their home fans, to leave any other aspect out.

Home team should be home colors, just like in football and soccer.

What I do wish is that we'd see more color vs. color games. There's no good reason why the Flyers can't wear their orange jerseys against Pittsburgh's blacks, but the only way we'll see that is in a Winter Classic.

To me white makes more sense and looks classier. I'm 32 years old though so I grew up with home whites. I like the variety of having home whites since the road colours are always different depending on the team. Now as an Oiler fan it's always just blue vs white at home games.

What I don't get is, if fans prefer colour jerseys what is stopping them from buying them even though the home team is wearing white? They watch TV so they still associate it with the team. People bought colour jerseys before when there were home whites.

And yes I agree we've had this discussion too much lol

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
True, but the differences are minute. It's still a huge hit of white on every white sweater.

It's not minute. I notice the color popping off the light than the white itself. Throw in the fact that pants colors are also different from team to team, and to me it never feels like the same thing game after game. To each their own I guess.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Agreed.

Colors are part of your team identity. The Rangers are blue. The Devils are red. The Flyers are orange. The Kings are black. The Bruins are black and yellow. That's inseparable from the identity of the team. You should wear your identity in your home arena.

Literally every team in the league uses white, it's just not an identity color.

Not sure why you tossed in a team that used to wear royal purple and yellow as their identity colour.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I like road colours because I get to see my teams colours all the time so when I go to a game I want to see the other teams colours.

For example the red wings red jerseys look great in person so do the black hawks reds. Now days you pay an arm and a leg and get to see the same home jersey and the less attractive road whites so they can promote the "Brand".

They could switch off .... odd years home colours even years home whites.

sourdough

Sep 23, 2009
Can someone tell me what was even the logic behind wearing white at home? Or why someone would want that? It doesn't make any sense to me. Colors are a part of your team's identity so why not wear those colors at home?

The people that want to white jersey at home seem to be season ticket holders that want to all the other teams dark jerseys live. Or it is people that started watching hockey when home wore white for a long time and it is what is natural for them.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I'd be onboard with dark vs. dark, unless there's a conflict (eg. last year's Winter Classic).

Dark at home though.

The people that want to white jersey at home seem to be season ticket holders that want to all the other teams dark jerseys live. Or it is people that started watching hockey when home wore white for a long time and it is what is natural for them.

I suspect in a lot of cases it's the latter. People want the world to be just the way it was when they were 12 years old.

rocketpop

Jul 5, 2005
Colors at home makes more sense, but as a Blues fan, the new white jersey looks so good... So I'd be happy with home whites.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
like the home whites and the "white-outs". But whatever it is all about jersey sales
I prefer Calgary's "C ofRed" over a whiteout. Just much more unique to have your teams colours, whereas any team could have a whiteout. But it's also worth mentioning that Calgary's white jersey just isn't very good so that could influence my opinion. (Home jersey isn't good either but the colours are nice)

Much nicer than a white-out IMO
C_of_Red_Flag.JPG

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
I don't want home whites. I think the strong colors are more powerful and intimidating. I remember in 2008 there was that study that showed this was true psychologically and that the most fearful colors were reds and oranges, citing the Dutch soccer team as an example. Good for teams like the Flyers.

ZeroPT*

The Rangers are the BLUESHIRTS
The Maple leafs are the BLUE and WHITE
The Flames have the Sea of RED
The Sabres are blue and gold
The Bruins are black and gold

Colors are your TEAM identity. Switching to white is just boring. If we're talking about NHL team colors the best thing to do IMO would be to allow color vs color. My favorite winter classic to watch was TOR v DET because it was red vs blue.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I like the darks at home, but growing up I liked the whites at home.

I'm pretty content with the Rangers wearing the darks at home and 1-2 times a season wear the whites. Makes that game special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad