Switching back to Home Whites

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I grew up with the "Home Whites" and would love for them to go back...but I'm pretty sure its White on the road for the future..
I believe the switch was because the majority of teams 3rd Jerseys were dark...it make travel easier to just pack the White Jerseys on road trips in stead of both in case a home team had a 3rd dark Jersey they were going to play with at home..

I did too and that's the reason I'd like to see it again. As a kid there was nothing like getting my first Lemieux "home" white.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I do remember reading somewhere that colored jersey sales outnumber the white jerseys sales by a fairly significant margin. So the league made the switch for marketing reasons.

Not only that, but teams were having to bring both sets on the road when their opponents were wearing their (mostly colored) third jerseys. Helps cut down on logistic nightmares.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
I personally think that each team should choose their main color at home whether it be white or dark. In the NFL, Dallas Cowboys wear whites at home. Some teams might be suited to wear whites at home, for instance, Maple Leafs, Rangers, etc. It should be up to the home team preference.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Everyone saying "it's part of the team's identity" as an argument for white roads seems to be ignoring that the home team's identity is already apparent. Their arena, their fans, their goal horn/song, etc. If anything, coloured homes actually suppress the identity of the road team, leaving them to be just another team wearing white. Doesn't seem very fair to not let the road team come into another team's barn and try their best to fight against the crowd and make their coloured presence known.

Wasn't this the reason that away sweaters used to have the city's name and home's have their nickname (the difference between the diagonal reading New York or Rangers)? The atmosphere already let's us know who's hosting, the real question is who's visiting.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Everyone saying "it's part of the team's identity" as an argument for white roads seems to be ignoring that the home team's identity is already apparent. Their arena, their fans, their goal horn/song, etc. If anything, coloured homes actually suppress the identity of the road team, leaving them to be just another team wearing white. Doesn't seem very fair to not let the road team come into another team's barn and try their best to fight against the crowd and make their coloured presence known.

Wasn't this the reason that away sweaters used to have the city's name and home's have their nickname (the difference between the diagonal reading New York or Rangers)

I know that in the early part of last century (actually I believe the NHL originally wore dark at home the first few years of inception) the concept when they switched to white at home was for the home teams fans to understand and identify who and what the colors of the visiting teams are. Seems like a silly concept, but it makes weird sense.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
When the home team wears white, both the home and away jerseys have visual appeal. When the home team wears colour, only the home jersey has visual appeal. That's why the home team should wear white.

Games are less enjoyable to watch when the road team is in white.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I can't be the only one who thinks that this issue is plain trivial.

As long as I can tell the difference between the teams when watching the game who cares which team is wearing which color? It's a hockey game, not a fashion show.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario

As long as I can tell the difference between the teams when watching the game who cares which team is wearing which color? It's a hockey game, not a fashion show.
When has triviality ever stopped HF?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm a traditionalist who I would like to see whites at home. It should have never been changed

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a traditionalist who I would like to see whites at home. It should have never been changed

Well, actually teams wore colors at home before switching to home whites. So really, switching back to colors at home was a nod to traditionalists.

startainfection*

My guess would be because it's more visually appealing, at least at a subconscious level, for the fans/season ticket holders.

Red @ White
Green @ White
Blue @ White
Black @ White
Red @ White

against

White @ Blue
White @ Blue
White @ Blue
White @ Blue
White @ Blue

Which seems more exciting?

The most exciting thing would be for the league to allow both teams to wear their colored jersey as long as they are significantly offering colors

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
My guess would be because it's more visually appealing, at least at a subconscious level, for the fans/season ticket holders.

Red @ White
Green @ White
Blue @ White
Black @ White
Red @ White

against

White @ Blue
White @ Blue
White @ Blue
White @ Blue
White @ Blue

Which seems more exciting?

The bottom one. Because it's not the same white jersey every game. The white jerseys look vastly different, and you'd have to be colorblind to not see the difference between all the white jerseys. No two white jerseys look the same.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It's been ten years, and darks at home still looks "wrong" to me.

All I really want is whites at home in the playoffs, especially with the number of teams that get their fans to wear white. Just looks awesome :nod:

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
I hope not. Watching the Hawks-Leafs game last night, it was beautiful to see the crowd all in red, supporting the home team in recognizable home colours. It really wouldn't be as visually impressive with if the crowd wore white to match the home team, since the home crowd could be any of the 30 teams, and it would look odd if the entire crowd wore red while the players wore white.

I do remember reading somewhere that colored jersey sales outnumber the white jerseys sales by a fairly significant margin. So the league made the switch for marketing reasons.

Thanks for sharing that. I definitely think the home jerseys are more iconic, and since I don't need more than one jersey per each team(s) that I support, I want to own the most iconic one, and I imagine that many others feel the same way.

Last edited:

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
The bottom one. Because it's not the same white jersey every game. The white jerseys look vastly different, and you'd have to be colorblind to not see the difference between all the white jerseys. No two white jerseys look the same.
True, but the differences are minute. It's still a huge hit of white on every white sweater.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The good guys should wear white.

However, I think it was cool when both Toronto and Detroit wore their darks at the Winter Classic. Obviously only a few teams could do that but I'd like to see that more often.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes

It matters if you're going to the game.

Why should I wear red if the Wings are hosting the Devils yet donning their whites?

It's simple and intuitive: home team wears primary colors.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The ECHL switches at the midpoint of the season, don't they? I wouldn't mind if the NHL did that too - it would give fans who only watch one team regularly the chance to see a variety of non-white NHL jerseys, and would be logistically reasonable. I could see it boosting sales of white jerseys, too. I'd probably want at least 3 or 4 color jerseys before I even considered buying white, but I'd at least consider wearing white to "match the team" if the Bruins wore white at home for half the season.

It's not a money issue that prevents teams from sending two sets of jerseys to away games. It's the moving of ALL that dang stuff on and off planes, trains, and automobiles. When you think of the bags and bags of equipment that's necessary for 23 players (or more), having an extra set of jerseys just doesn't make sense.

Certain teams could play color vs. color. Not Bruins vs Sabres - is it just me, or is the Sabre blue a little too close to the Bruin black? But I would think that a Minnesota vs Chicago game around the holidays would look REALLY cool this way.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I would like the home team decide what color they want like in the NFL. If they prefer they want white then they should go with that and just the same with if they rather have dark jerseys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad