Post-Game Talk: Sweet, sloppy victory! 5:4 Leafs!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed. He looks like his confidence is close to being 100% of what it was before and he is skating well with the puck.

Meanwhile Matthews line isnt playing as well as they can 5 on 5
No, no....I was just told Nylander is all perimeter, so he won't help Matthews.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That tying goal in the third was weird. The puck took a strange bounce in the air, leaving everyone standing still like they lost sight of it for a second, and it landed in a perfect spot for the Sens for a quick pass and tap in goal
The first two Leaf goals in the second were similar - Sens player trying to clear the puck and it bounces off the shaft of Gauthier's stick right to Johnsson, and then two Sens players fumbling the puck in their feet until it dribbles out right to Matthews.

The first Ottawa goal, and the first, fourth, and fifth Leaf goals were the only clean ones.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
it must've been pretty drunk out where you were last night, it was very apparent that the puck did not cross the line fully, the top angle was the best and it did not prove any different
I just watched it again. The first view, from the side, looked better, and looked like it crossed the line. However, the call on the ice was no, and neither view was clear enough to overturn it.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Agreed. He looks like his confidence is close to being 100% of what it was before and he is skating well with the puck.

Matthews line isn't playing well 5v5 because they're carrying around Marleau. Both Matthews and Kappy looked fine individually. Marleau had a couple of games where he was good after a long break, but it's back to his usual performance now.

Move AJ onto that line and it would be good without Nylander imo. But I'm fine with Willy moving there as well.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Matthews line got filled in in shot attempts. Yikes. Andersen wasn't his steady self as well, flopping and giving up huge rebounds. We need him to be a lot better down the stretch.

Overall it was a fun game. Watched it from the pub so wasn't quite attentive as I usually am.

The Matthews line isn't working out. Babs has a few players miscast right now. Based on what I've seen lately I would try this:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

Reactions: PuckMagi

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
not to criticize a win but..... man o man how can we play like that against the worst team in the league
anyway just take the 2 pts and maintain home ice positioning

Ottawa plays stupid Boucher system. Holds, interference and vigorous stick work that borderline penalty worthy.
This is anti-hockey. Good thing Pitt took care of them 2 years ago and we did today. However, if we would not score off our rushes we would have hard time beating that system in cycle. Without extreme defensive system their players collection is weak, but system makes them look better than they are.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I saw this on twitter but it’s kinda true.

“Hyman has turned into the player we all thought Brown would be after their rookie seasons. And Brown has turned into the player we all thought Hyman was”

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I wish Babs would stop pretending that Marleau is not done. AJ is better than him at this point.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

“Hyman has turned into the player we all thought Brown would be after their rookie seasons. And Brown has turned into the player we all thought Hyman was”
It's true

Brown hasn't played well enough to be in the top9, a place where I thought he was a shoe in.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I actually thought he was one of the Leafs best players last night.

Worth noting though that Johnsson (who's our best LW IMO) has more goals, more points with far less favorable usage. I can understand that Hyman brings some muscle to the top-6.

It's not Hyman who should lose his spot to Johnsson though, Marleau should.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Hyman has pretty much been the player I expected him to be. Brown has been a disappointment, as I thought he would eventually be the replacement for Komarov.

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Nothing to do with Brown. Just a counterpoint to the 26-0 when leading after 2 stat.
Why does every positive point about the Leafs need a counterpoint? A positive stat is a positive stat, stop being so negative and enjoy a good leafs team for a change.

Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's true

Brown hasn't played well enough to be in the top9, a place where I thought he was a shoe in.

I have no idea what’s happened to Brown... he’s lost his offensive jam. Looking at some of his advanced stats he’s been remarkably similar in all 3 seasons so far. The only real difference is that he’s shooting less, and his shooting percentage is down from his rookie year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad