Post-Game Talk: Sweet 16

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Perusing over the thread for this game I've noticed a lot of differing opinions on how well the Oilers played.

I think it's because they won when the other team brought the house. I think Nashville gave us EVERYTHING they had.

It actually makes the win more impressive imo. This team last year, would normally have buckled when their opponent went hard. Vegas beat us the last two games with 10 minutes of this type of hockey in each of the last two games.

Here's hoping that's not the case this year.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Why do Canuck fans make PDO jabs at us? Aren’t we like the middle of the pack in the league? Are they too stupid to realize that our avg was so so low at the start of the season and it’s finally starting to normalize? I don’t get how an entire fanbase can look like this

View attachment 812112
The worst is that Three-on-Zero poster. His mental gymnastics to discredit the Oilers combined with his subtle digs show his obsession with the team. I think he might be a former fan jaded by the dark years or something.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Perusing over the thread for this game I've noticed a lot of differing opinions on how well the Oilers played.

I think it's because they won when the other team brought the house. I think Nashville gave us EVERYTHING they had.

It actually makes the win more impressive imo. This team last year, would normally have buckled when their opponent went hard. Vegas beat us the last two games with 10 minutes of this type of hockey in each of the last two games.

Here's hoping that's not the case this year.
The team THIS year buckled playing the Preds. The Oilers got blown out the last time the Preds were here, While Woody was still the coach. One doesn't have to go too long to see how much has changed.

That said Hockey is also a fickle game. We gave up a lot to the preds and they had wide open looks, wide open nets, breakaways. it wasn't ideal Oilers defending this time. 3 goal posts as well.

Argument could be made the Oilers were the better team on the whole but only as game progressed. I thought our best period was third. Thats been common lately with the club.

Drai also with another ridiculous penalty at a bad time. The team has to learn ultimately to reduce this kind of shit. Drai is a 10yr pro now. The amount of times he takes a retaliation penalty in a still close game is unacceptable. In playoffs this sort of thing does make a difference.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
The worst is that Three-on-Zero poster. His mental gymnastics to discredit the Oilers combined with his subtle digs show his obsession with the team. I think he might be a former fan jaded by the dark years or something.
He says he lives in Whitecourt.
But yes, a disingenuous Canucks fan that tries to discredit everything.

I wonder what happened to jackjohnson... He seems to be gone lol

Reactions: Duke74

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The team THIS year buckled playing the Preds. The Oilers got blown out the last time the Preds were here, While Woody was still the coach. One doesn't have to go too long to see how much has changed.

That said Hockey is also a fickle game. We gave up a lot to the preds and they had wide open looks, wide open nets, breakaways. it wasn't ideal Oilers defending this time. 3 goal posts as well.

Argument could be made the Oilers were the better team on the whole but only as game progressed. I thought our best period was third. Thats been common lately with the club.

Drai also with another ridiculous penalty at a bad time. The team has to learn ultimately to reduce this kind of shit. Drai is a 10yr pro now. The amount of times he takes a retaliation penalty in a still close game is unacceptable. In playoffs this sort of thing does make a difference.
Agree about Drai. When you are a big time player, you are going to get fouled more than anyone else. He should just ask his elite teammate. And I'm not saying he should bend over and take it, as both he and McDavid are more than capable of playing a physical game and do that very often. but he tends to chase a guy all over the ice and take the obvious penalty rather than controlling himself and waiting until the right moment. And as you say, the playoffs are when it can really hurt the team. Just ask Darnell Nurse.;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
BTW if anyone wants a laugh, go to nhl.com/predators and their video highlights section of this game. Fast forward to their call of Drai’s goal. Just total capitulation lol.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015

I think this break came at the right time to allow the Team to reset before the second half of the season.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Oh he is so on the list….

About a year ago I called out his obsession on the mains. Claiming he’d been OP to about a half dozen oil-bashing threads… you know the type… the passive agressive “Will the Oilers miss the playoffs this year”.

He denied it of course, so I did a quick search… he’d authored over 20!

Don’t go necro-ing the old thread, it’s still open and we need it to stay that way!

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

That guy's as much as a mouth breather as that Divine clown. I added that goofy 3 on 0 idiot on ignore and never looked back since.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
You do not see that on any team. Not even close lol. I watch a lot of their games. It is not just shot selection. They fire a lot of shots from the points, especially Hughes. I think a lot is just close in rebounds and tips. Would have to analyze it.
It's the breakdowns. Boston has insane PDO for the same reason. Stats will show high danger chances, saves, shots and goals, but not what led to them

The Canucks are not Maple Leafs high PDO, they are Nashville or Boston. When the Oiler's or Leaf's PDO is wonky, they are often playing on the outside. Early this season the Oilers were destroying nothing but the shot clock, bad shooting luck or playing on the outside? Suddenly the goals are going in and we are getting saves, it's all correlated, and the Canucks have been playing the right way all season.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Leaving Edmonton :( back to Regina. Back to work tomorrow. Ugh
Hope you made it back safe and sound Tyler.

I was reading the Edmonton Journal this morning and came across this photo and immediately thought of you.

On behalf of all of us, we are glad you keep your clothes on when you do your split workouts!

IMG_2929.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad