Post-Game Talk: Sweet 16

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Idk. I also think the 35 number from the Flyers isn't legit though and needs an Asterix too - post expansion the level of parity was farcical compared to what it looks like today.
How come all the established teams didn’t have similar results?

Reactions: RegDunlop

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Because they lost to the Flyers. 😂

The Flyers record is clearly hella impressive, no disputing that. I just think you can't compare streaks between eras, too much is just fundamentally different.
And that as the year they lost to the Islanders in game 6 of the finals, on the disputed Bobby Nystrom OT goal that they contended was offside. Who knows, in todays world, maybe it gets wiped out, and history is much different.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Idk. I also think the 35 number from the Flyers isn't legit though and needs an Asterix too - post expansion the level of parity was farcical compared to what it looks like today.
Not sure I agree here. One could argue the opposite, that a 32 team league is more watered down than a 16 team league. One could also argue that the prior playoff format incentivized all teams to remain in the race, and attempt to win games. "Rebuilds" as a concept was non existent at the time. All teams were in the race for playoffs and even a bump win streak would lift a club into the playoffs over the very few that missed. Even the Oilers saw that fortune in 1980. All teams still having a chance at playoffs down the stretch meant that all teams would still be trying.

Contrast with today and teams long before TDL have thoughts on "tanking" and getting top picks vs continuing to try to be competitive. The concept of selling off assets at TDL also somewhat newer. Thats a non compete element increasingly in todays NHL. Some clubs gaining, some clubs bailing. Those are non competitive aspects.

Other factors are that 32 teams means that rivalries are now rare. In a 16 team league you are often playing rivals, and more often playing every team. This meaning that more bad blood developed, more intensity developed etc.

Now instead we see weird results like Vancouver being something like 12-0-1 against EC clubs because they just don't care. Flames classically get thsi result as well. Increasingly in 2024 in 32 team league teams are not up for all games. You watch games and its not uncommon for one team, or both to not even show up in a game. Where both teams are playing badly.

Lastly when Flyers had that streak hockey salaries were a pittance compared to today. Meaning that all teams had access to players, and keeping players, financially. Player cost was a very manageable part of hockey expenditures back then. Meaning most clubs could be competitive on financial basis. Meaning even teams back then like LA or Buffalo could still have some of the best players in the world, and have them longterm. Meaning ultimately that they usually avoided being terrible clubs. Indeed terrible clubs were rare back then. Didn't stay that way for long.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Replacing in what sense exactly?

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Duclair
Holloway-McLeod-Foegele
Janmark-Ryan-Perry

He doesn't have to PK.
Baffling that you would have him on the 2nd line and a vet like Perry on the 4th line.
Perry 16GP 3G 4A 7 ES Pts 10:48 ES TOI(CHI)
Duclair 44GP 7G 4A 11 ES Pts 14:43 ES TOI(SJ)

FLA fans hated him last spring because he's soft and plays would die on his stick. His speed is gone and he brings nothing else that Perry, Foegele or even Gagner dont

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Baffling that you would have him on the 2nd line and a vet like Perry on the 4th line.
Perry 16GP 3G 4A 7 ES Pts 10:48 ES TOI(CHI)
Duclair 44GP 7G 4A 11 ES Pts 14:43 ES TOI(SJ)

FLA fans hated him last spring because he's soft and plays would die on his stick. His speed is gone and he brings nothing else that Perry, Foegele or even Gagner dont

You think its baffling that I'm not judging Duclair solely based on his statistics on the most offensively endemic team in the NHL and completely disregarding his production with elite linemates in Florida, a more comparable lineup for Edmonton, and realising that Perry hasn't played 2nd line minutes on a good team in years? Really? That's the baffling part?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
You think its baffling that I'm not judging Duclair solely based on his statistics on the most offensively endemic team in the NHL and completely disregarding his production with elite linemates in Florida, a more comparable lineup for Edmonton, and realising that Perry hasn't played 2nd line minutes on a good team in years? Really? That's the baffling part?
Not disregarding that he rode the coattails of two elite players having career years.
Perry has proven in the past few years that he can have a positive impact in the playoffs playing without elite players. Duclair is a ghost come the playoffs and the last thing this team needs.
I'll repeat that I don't think Perry should be on the 2nd line but Duclair shouldn't be on this team

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Not disregarding that he rode the coattails of two elite players having career years.
Perry has proven in the past few years that he can have a positive impact in the playoffs playing without elite players. Duclair is a ghost come the playoffs and the last thing this team needs.
I'll repeat that I don't think Perry should be on the 2nd line but Duclair shouldn't be on this team

Kind of like Hyman? Or RNH? You may call it riding coattails but many others call it complimentary scoring. We've had enough years of watching the 2 best forwards in the league to know that not every winger can produce with elite talent. We're wayyy past that.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
By the way guys this streak started when I took my kid to see them spank the NJ Devils. I am truly a lucky talisman and I believe the organization should pay me to attend key games.

I must be a reverse talisman then. I went to the debacle against the Canes in Raleigh and actually walked out of the game after the first period. First and only time I've ever ditched the team that early.

And ever since I walked out on them, they've been virtually lights out. Almost feels like that game was a crucial turning point for the season.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Looking forward to the Vegas game. it’ll def be like a playoff game. hoping edm can squeak it out but man, there’s still basically a week to go. lol.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
The Oilers are 24W-3L since the McDavid Draisaitl bench taps in the last blow out loss to Carolina. At that point the Oilers were 2W-3L under Knoblauch and had blown leads earlier in that road trip against Tampa and Florida. Not a big moment itself, but I think it was a point were both of them had enough and along with the changes the new coach staff was still implementing turned the season around.

The change in composure since that game is noticeable, and that is the biggest change.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Kind of like Hyman? Or RNH? You may call it riding coattails but many others call it complimentary scoring. We've had enough years of watching the 2 best forwards in the league to know that not every winger can produce with elite talent. We're wayyy past that.
So true I mean besides Drai and maybe Nuge until Hyman came on the scene it was still Maroon who showed the best chemistry with Connor.

I still remember the ending of that Edmonton LA game where we finally made the playoffs aftee ten years

"save Talbot. Another save Talbot. Another shot. Save Talbot. Talbot talbot talbot!"
I was at the game with a coworker who wouldn’t shut up about work. Really wanted to punch him in the head because he was ruining my special game lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad