Management Sweeney, Neely

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would go as far as to say Sweeney was not the only GM offering Foligno the type of deal he got in Boston. He did have other suitors that were in the ballpark.

That being said, it's doubtful Sweeney was paying much attention to Nick Foligno last season, he had other priorities.

This comes back to Pro Scouting. You can be guaranteed they provided input on this player. Just another poor scouting evaluation to add to the laundry list of poor pro scouting evaluations.

Ultimately here approaching the 7th anniversary of Sweeney's promotion, I think we can declare his plan a failure.

He went all in on futures at the 2015 draft moving out Hamilton and Lucic (for various reasons) for essentially futures. Two guys who here 6-7 years later are still effective NHLers. Debating trading Rask, got cold feet. Wanted to keep Jones in tandem with Rask but Jones said no and he was dealt for futures. He wanted to use the 2015 and 2016 drafts to reload.

This basically submarined the 2016 season, and 2017 would of also been a disaster if not for finally firing Julien for Cassidy which gave the team enough juice to make the playoffs and get bounced fairly easily by Ottawa.

His prospects and picks haven't panned out for the most part. He got a couple right shot D-men, one very good one.

So because his picks/prospects haven't met expectations, he's been forced to lean on his pro scouting and go out and overpay in both trade and the UFA market for bad/mediocre/washed up talent. And because the pro scouting is so bad, most of his signing/trades haven't panned out either. Some have, but most haven't.

A good GM/organization in a cap system would be one that drafts and develops well, so they can avoid having to go out shopping at the deadline and free agency where you pretty much always overpay. Then if you have good pro scouting you can supplement your core and young players with a small number of bargain UFA signings. Maybe a guy who just needs an opportunity, or a veteran with still something left to give in a reduced role at a reduced pay.

This organization basically does the reverse opposite of that.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would go as far as to say Sweeney was not the only GM offering Foligno the type of deal he got in Boston. He did have other suitors that were in the ballpark.

That being said, it's doubtful Sweeney was paying much attention to Nick Foligno last season, he had other priorities.

This comes back to Pro Scouting. You can be guaranteed they provided input on this player. Just another poor scouting evaluation to add to the laundry list of poor pro scouting evaluations.

Agreed. Pro scouting needs a serious overhaul. These guys are clearly not watching what is needed.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Thats even funnier - because if you can sell something for $x it is literally worth $x

that's incorrect, there is a concept called use value as well

this is why home appraisals don't always match the sales price, and assessments done on your home by the town are far below what the market assessment will be

so foligno the player is worth x based on his body of work and where he is now, but his sell value may be higher at a particular time due to the market demand.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
that's incorrect, there is a concept called use value as well

this is why home appraisals don't always match the sales price, and assessments done on your home by the town are far below what the market assessment will be

so foligno the player is worth x based on his body of work and where he is now, but his sell value may be higher at a particular time due to the market demand.

I've told my kids for years that privilege is situational.

Same goes for value.

When I was a realtor a home sold in a particular neighborhood for 100K over asking price --- cash deal, so the bank appraisal didn't come into play.

Everyone was bewildered as to why that happened.

The answer was very simple. The man who bought the home owned a business three blocks away. His wife took ill and needed a great deal of care. He wanted his home to be near his business so he could be able to check on her several times throughout the day.

He had the money, loved the home and it fit what he needed to care for his wife, so he made an offer he knew would be accepted and didn't need to worry about the haggling aspect of buying a home.

To 95% of the world that home wasn't worth what he paid for it -- for him it was.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Same goes for value.

When I was a realtor a home sold in a particular neighborhood for 100K over asking price --- cash deal, so the bank appraisal didn't come into play.

The answer was very simple. The man who bought the home owned a business three blocks away. His wife took ill and needed a great deal of care. He wanted his home to be near his business so he could be able to check on her several times throughout the day.

He had the money, loved the home and it fit what he needed to care for his wife, so he made an offer he knew would be accepted and didn't need to worry about the haggling aspect of buying a home.

To 95% of the world that home wasn't worth what he paid for it -- for him it was.

Kind of like how many fans view hockey transactions without knowing anything about the details.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Same goes for value.

It was for the folks selling it too :laugh:

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
He's already in a "do nothing job" FFS. The only promotion is to be an owner. He's too dumb and hot-tempered to take on the role that Sinden fills now as "advisor."
They ought to both be fired followed by the rest of the emptyheaded/empty suits on Causeway. If not for Covid JJ would get a real picture of the dismay of the fans but right now the front office can tell him the reason for the empty seats is Covid and not a disappointing, boring, and soft team.
First things first, Bruce needs to hit the pavement.

If he really had a do nothing job then fans wouldn't be clammering for him to leave.

Right now he does have influence on how the team is built. There's a reason I put promotion in quotations. I could see him moved into a role where he doesn't have influence over the team as I doubt the franchise wants to fire one of their all time best players.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Thats funny in two ways - first that its wrong particularly when there are multiple GM offering. second is that Sweeney wasnt the one of them.

How does that say he is a high end player?

We are ….ed if a 20 point player is one of our high end players.

Gm’s love to pay for ”character” ”grit” ”leadership”.
In no way shape or form is Foligno a high end player.

At it’s best, peak form this team is a Wild Card team, what does that tell you?
Adding Foligno wasn’t it for this team

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Ultimately here approaching the 7th anniversary of Sweeney's promotion, I think we can declare his plan a failure.

He went all in on futures at the 2015 draft moving out Hamilton and Lucic (for various reasons) for essentially futures. Two guys who here 6-7 years later are still effective NHLers. Debating trading Rask, got cold feet. Wanted to keep Jones in tandem with Rask but Jones said no and he was dealt for futures. He wanted to use the 2015 and 2016 drafts to reload.

This basically submarined the 2016 season, and 2017 would of also been a disaster if not for finally firing Julien for Cassidy which gave the team enough juice to make the playoffs and get bounced fairly easily by Ottawa.

His prospects and picks haven't panned out for the most part. He got a couple right shot D-men, one very good one.

So because his picks/prospects haven't met expectations, he's been forced to lean on his pro scouting and go out and overpay in both trade and the UFA market for bad/mediocre/washed up talent. And because the pro scouting is so bad, most of his signing/trades haven't panned out either. Some have, but most haven't.

A good GM/organization in a cap system would be one that drafts and develops well, so they can avoid having to go out shopping at the deadline and free agency where you pretty much always overpay. Then if you have good pro scouting you can supplement your core and young players with a small number of bargain UFA signings. Maybe a guy who just needs an opportunity, or a veteran with still something left to give in a reduced role at a reduced pay.

This organization basically does the reverse opposite of that.

Great post. If you look at the Tampa as the benchmark, they've won big both in the draft and in trades/signings. They drafted all of their top 6 forwards, plus Vasilevskiy. They've then been able to fill out the rest of the forward group with a few judicious, cheap acquisitions from elsewhere. That's the absolute gold standard of how to build a team.

But they've shown they can play well in the market too. The only member of their top 6 D they drafted was Hedman. The built the rest through good trades and FA signings - McDonagh cost them a 1st and 2nd but was absolutely worth it, they basically stole Sergachev from the Habs, and scored Cernak because they could move on the injury-prone Bishop knowing what they had in Vasilevskiy. Pad the rest out with a couple of good cheap FA pickups in Rutta and Bogosian and you've got a very effective defense. Obvious lesson there is it's a lot easier to trade/sign effectively when you've already done so well in the drafts.

Boston drafted 3 of their top 6 forwards, 1 other guy who at his best is a middle 6 player but wants out anyway, half their defense and 1 goalie. That's ok on the defensive front but otherwise just isn't good enough, especially when 2 of those forwards are now well into their 30s. That's not a recipe for success, and then as you say it's putting way too much pressure on the scouts to make the right evaluations on potential outside acquisitions to fill out substantial parts of the roster, and they're clearly buckling under the strain.

Even allowing for that though, I think there's an interesting question there - why is Boston's pro scouting so sub-standard? What's gone wrong there, and how can it be fixed?

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Now that Seny has also asked to be moved are we ready to admit that these clowns are a big part of the problem? From picking absolute reaches instead of sure things to trying to make every prospect a Patrice Beregon lite, they have destroyed this prospect pool for years. Abysmal.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Now that Seny has also asked to be moved are we ready to admit that these clowns are a big part of the problem? From picking absolute reaches instead of sure things to trying to make every prospect a Patrice Beregon lite, they have destroyed this prospect pool for years. Abysmal.

Chiarelli made the playoffs 7 straight years and then when he finally missed it he got canned. If they miss the playoffs the local media better put some heat on Jacobs to be consistent and fire Sweeney, at the very least. I'd argue Neely as well, as according to some they are tied together and Sweeney would be the 2nd GM that got fired under Neely's watch as President. And if they fire Bruce mid-season that would be the 2nd coach fired under Neely's watch. Who gives a f*ck that they used to play for the Bruins? That shouldn't matter at all.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Chiarelli made the playoffs 7 straight years and then when he finally missed it he got canned. If they miss the playoffs the local media better put some heat on Jacobs to be consistent and fire Sweeney, at the very least. I'd argue Neely as well, as according to some they are tied together and Sweeney would be the 2nd GM that got fired under Neely's watch as President. And if they fire Bruce mid-season that would be the 2nd coach fired under Neely's watch. Who gives a f*ck that they used to play for the Bruins? That shouldn't matter at all.

Neely's been the president for 11 years.

Two GMs and two coaches isn't really significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad