Management Sweeney, Neely

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I have been no fan of Don Sweeney or Cam Neely in their current managment roles, though I respected the former and revered the latter in playing days. I *still* don't know what Cam does, to this day.

For now, I will eat my metaphorical hat. Whatever happens going forward, I must agree with Dom's assessment,

Dominic Tiano: Don Sweeney- In the Running for NHL GM of the Year?

PS Assuming Brad, Patrice and David remain, I would certainly consider a major rebuild. Details later.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
I have a lot of crow to eat. I was frustrated at Sweeney's excess cap space all season. Frustrated in yet another season not finding krejci a winger. Frustrated at the Smith signing. Man was I wrong. Sweeney absolutely nailed the trade deadline. A+.

now hoping Sweeney can keep krejci and hall for the future.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
I too am not a real Sweeney fan, but he seems to have nailed this deadline. So, hats off Don!

A buddy of mine had a great piece of conspiracy.

Bruins and Hall had this all worked out. Hall has wanted to be in Boston for a while supposedly. Hall to a dog of a team for big money one year deal and a NTC during FA. Agreement in place for the Bruins to swoop in at the dealine and snap him up with this NTC veto power. Resigns on the offseason after Rask leaves. I had to admit, it was at the very least interesting...

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I too am not a real Sweeney fan, but he seems to have nailed this deadline. So, hats off Don!

A buddy of mine had a great piece of conspiracy.

Bruins and Hall had this all worked out. Hall has wanted to be in Boston for a while supposedly. Hall to a dog of a team for big money one year deal and a NTC during FA. Agreement in place for the Bruins to swoop in at the dealine and snap him up with this NTC veto power. Resigns on the offseason after Rask leaves. I had to admit, it was at the very least interesting...

I don't know about the logistics, but someone in the media noted that Hall was hoping to be chosen by Boston in that draft. Edmonton took him first overall, and the B's got Seguin.

The rest, they say...

If Hall continues to perform, I would give him a three year, team friendly deal. A lot will depend on how he does in the playoffs. If he comes up lame, which I kind of doubt ( !), no harm, no foul. Let him walk.

I see cause for moderate redemption. I'd like to be right.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't know about the logistics, but someone in the media noted that Hall was hoping to be chosen by Boston in that draft. Edmonton took him first overall, and the B's got Seguin.

The rest, they say...

If Hall continues to perform, I would give him a three year, team friendly deal. A lot will depend on how he does in the playoffs. If he comes up lame, which I kind of doubt ( !), no harm, no foul. Let him walk.

Both Seguin and Hall wanted to go to Boston; neither wanted to be in Edmonton. I think Hall mentioned this in an interview.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I have a lot of crow to eat. I was frustrated at Sweeney's excess cap space all season. Frustrated in yet another season not finding krejci a winger. Frustrated at the Smith signing. Man was I wrong. Sweeney absolutely nailed the trade deadline. A+.

now hoping Sweeney can keep krejci and hall for the future.

Agree with everything you said except the frustration with the Smith signing

If I owned the Bruins (as if), it was Sweeney's and Neely's last chance to right the ship at the TDL and get some much needed help to make a playoff run ...and they did good this time

So I have to eat some crow too

..but they're still on thin ice with the new owner :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
while i agree bringing hall in was a good move , lets not forget that imo more credit should go to Hall than Don since it appears that buffalo had no choice other than to go with Boston or maybe one other team as Hall probably refused to go to other teams that inquired about him . Even with his down year im sure Hall still gets a 1st in a trade so that to me seems like the Sabers Gm had to get something or lose him for nothing .

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Um, isn't Taylor Hall taller than six feet?

I thought Cam was solely responsible for the tall folk acquisitions?

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I was ready to see these two gone midway through the year but, credit where it's due, they turned it around with their moves at the deadline. Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, they've put themselves back in the contender category in my eyes. Even if they get bounced early, they filled the holes they needed to fill to give the team as good a chance as any. I can't knock them from here.

I still have concerns with the drafting and developing strategy. They've done very well on the backend but that they haven't been able to integrate a single impact forward from in house in six years (outside of maybe DeBrusk but we know how that's gone recently) is a going concern. It's ironic because this should be Sweeney's wheelhouse. I'd like to see some more focus on drafting skilled players with offensive IQ, even if they aren't physically gifted. We've got too many guys with great tools and little impact.

Aside from that, I think Sweeney's done very well in the past few years and has improved greatly from where he was in 2015-2017. The cap management has been fantastic. The Coyle, Johansson, Ritchie, Smith, Hall, Reilly and Lazar acquisitions have all been good to great. I'll even defend the Kase and Nash deals even if they didn't work out, I liked both players and sometimes you need to take some risks to get an impact player.

So yeah, mostly good, some bad. There are very few GMs around the league I'd rather have in charge. If they can sort out their drafting and development and stop signing bottom half of the lineup guys to long term deals I'll have very little to complain about lol.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Couple things

1. Sweeney was less then 2 months into GM duty in 2015 Draft held in June ~ Chiarelli was fired in April. He went with what the scouting head Keith Gretzky had proposed

unfortunately they did move off one very successful player to take DeBrusk

Zboril was always there

Senyshyn was Gretzky 100%

and I like him a lot and Cassidy should have stuck him third line RW for 10-15 games

my opinion he can play but needs a few destination

2. be careful what you wish for

I’m a Gorton fan - moreso seeing him around the Garden especially back in the 10,000 half filled days 2004-6

he’s a good GM but to me his 3 best young players are two lottery tickets (Lafreniere & Kakko) and Adam Fox using the CBA to play for his local team

The Rangers without them are a bleeping mess

they are soft as shit but have ALL the important parts ~ they actually remind me of the Red Sox. They are trending up very nicely

Be careful what you wish

Other than the 2015 abomination which the guy was on the job less then 2 months I think he’s been outstanding but I do preface all this hockey is my third sport and there are a lot of experts here

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
What are we saying if we’re bounced first round?
My opinion?

If they get knocked out first round, it’s not on management. They’ve done what was necessary to build the best version of this roster that could be expected.

It’ll be on the coaching and/or the players if they bow out early.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
That it's on the players
This is the correct answer, and believe me, I'm no Sweeney and Neely fan. I still firmly believe that they're not the ones who should oversee the re-tool/re-build that is coming within the next 2-3 years given that they largely butchered the re-tool in 15 and 16, but they did everything right at the deadline. I still think Sweeney and Neely's seats should be warm, but this year it's put up or shut up time for the players come the postseason. A few of them (Krejci and Hall) are playing for new contracts. Will they rise to the occasion?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

The rest, they say...

There is no question that is the way it would have worked out if the Bruins had control. It was so foolish as well.

Boston needed a Winger, not a Center.
Edmonton needed a Center, not a Winger.

Of course Edmonton did what they always did. Routinely screwed up the annual 1OA gift lollapalooza they had for years.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
There is no question that is the way it would have worked out if the Bruins had control. It was so foolish as well.

Boston needed a Winger, not a Center.
Edmonton needed a Center, not a Winger.

Of course Edmonton did what they always did. Routinely screwed up the annual 1OA gift lollapalooza they had for years.
IIRC, Hall was seen by most in the hockey community as being more NHL ready whereas Seguin had a higher ceiling. Hall was a slightly better player on the day of the draft, but no doubt Seguin's upside was higher.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
IIRC, Hall was seen by most in the hockey community as being more NHL ready whereas Seguin had a higher ceiling. Hall was a slightly better player on the day of the draft, but no doubt Seguin's upside was higher.
Totally agree with that assessment. Edmonton just couldn't show a touch of patience and draft what they needed to build a proper team - a Center.

They really did screw the pooch for many years there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad