Management Sweeney, Neely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I just can’t figure out when for the 1st time you have cap space you manage to bring in zero high end guys, when Bergeron/Marchand core is at it’s last legs.

You go for it fully or not at all, have said it before but hate the halfway going for it approach.

You don’t want to pay the high price for quality yet regularly pay less for less ending up paying more.
As example the asset management since 2015 draft
Hall and Foglino (who was worth a 1st round pick at the deadline) - those are two just in the last year.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Hall and Foglino (who was worth a 1st round pick at the deadline) - those are two just in the last year.

Hall, fine. Foligno? Not seeing high end with him. He’s been a good player in his career but he’s not even close to that player now. Just because TOR made the mistake of giving up way too much for him doesn’t make him “high end”.

Reactions: NeelyDan

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
Hall, fine. Foligno? Not seeing high end with him. He’s been a good player in his career but he’s not even close to that player now. Just because TOR made the mistake of giving up way too much for him doesn’t make him “high end”.

Foligno occupies the “love the player, but not for that price on my team” role, in my mind.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I liked all the signings especially ullmark. The only one is meh is haula I'm worried about him.

like them or not ( the Signings ) were they needed assets out-side of Linus?

Could of Sweeney done as well or better with his already signed players down in providence ?
Could he have used cap space elsewhere that would of made this team significantly better ?

ELC are suppose to be a teams friend in the cap era, Sweeney instead choses to throw money around at out of town FA, eventually handcuffing the team of present and future possible ELC, because his FA signings end up being under performers and over payed, and he has to trade more picks/prospects at the deadline to try and compensate for his glaring bad moves which causes him to eventually deal away more ELC candidates. You can't tell me you haven't see this show before.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What do you consider high end?. . . there are 32 teams in the league, Hockeynews had him as their #12 free agent last year. I think only 3-4 forwards ahead of him switched teams. I get the criticism about the design and make up of the roster and organization, but it's not fair or accurate to say Sweeney doesn't bring in talent and valuable players. How they fit with eachother and with the coachging staff/game plan on the other hand. . .
The Top 30 Unrestricted Free Agents of 2021

Also, have I missed something, are they in cap hell right now? Thought they were in pretty good shape.
Only 10 teams in the league have more according to - NHL 2021 Cap Tracker

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

I’ll concede Hall who once again isn’t playing up to his caliber. But Foligno? He hasn’t broken 40 points in 4 years. If you still call him a high-end talent at this point then you must of thought Backes was elite when they brought him in.

The proof is on the ice and so far the players we’ve signed, Hall included have not lived up to their paychecks. So either Cassidy sucks at coaching or Sweeney and the front office suck at assessing talent. The truth I find usually always lies in the middle.

My guess is Cassidy’s head will roll, then Sweeney’s if they miss the playoffs. Neely will get one more chance, which he doesn’t deserve, to find another GM. And this team won’t do what they should which is to start a true rebuild because ownership can’t stomach the thought of not getting a playoff gate on purpose.

Reactions: BMC

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
One thing with the signings like them or not were they needed assets out-side of Linus?

Could of Sweeney done as well or better with his already signed players down in providence ?
Could he have used cap space elsewhere that would of made this team significantly better ?

ELC are suppose to be a teams friend in the cap era, Sweeney instead choses to throw money around at out of town FA, eventually handcuffing the team of present and future possible ELC, because his FA signings end up being under performers and over payed, and he has to trade more picks/prospects at the deadline to try and compensate for his glaring bad moves which causes him to eventually dealing away more ELC candidates. You can't tell me you haven't see this show before.

Great post.

I’ll piggy back on this by saying, wasn’t this supposed to be Sweeney’s bread and butter? Player development? Instead he brings in a bunch of overpaid garbage and let’s assets in Providence die on the vine.

Reactions: TCB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
What do you consider high end?. . . there are 32 teams in the league, Hockeynews had him as their #12 free agent last year. I think only 3-4 forwards ahead of him switched teams. I get the criticism about the design and make up of the roster and organization, but it's not fair or accurate to say Sweeney doesn't bring in talent and valuable players. How they fit with eachother and with the coachging staff/game plan on the other hand. . .
The Top 30 Unrestricted Free Agents of 2021

Also, have I missed something, are they in cap hell right now? Thought they were in pretty good shape.
Only 10 teams in the league have more NHL 2021 Cap Tracker

His UFA ranking by one site doesn’t mean anything. So Foligno became a FA at the right time. Throw in a few guys here and there that are better options than Foligno and now he’s barely Top 15 instead of Top 10 on that list.

Just look at his production the last 5 years:

2021-2022 = 0.22 PPG
2020-2021 = 0.41 PPG
2019-2020 = 0.46 PPG
2018-2019 = 0.48 PPG
2017-2018 = 0.46 PPG

His last “high end” season was back in 2016-2017. He put up 0.65 PPG. So he’s basically been on a steady decline since and Boston is getting him at his worst.

Reactions: UncleRico

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
His UFA ranking by one site doesn’t mean anything. So Foligno became a FA at the right time. Throw in a few guys here and there that are better options than Foligno and now he’s barely Top 15 instead of Top 10 on that list.. . .

There are 32 teams in the league and the second best guy they got (third depending on what you think of Ullmark)is a top 15 option in the league to you. . .

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
There are 32 teams in the league and the second best guy they got (third depending on what you think of Ullmark)is a top 15 option in the league to you. . .

Using his FA class is not a strong point. If the stars aligned, Foligno could have been the 5th best UFA available on some lists. Doesn’t mean he’s actually high end.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Foligno wasn’t even close to a high end player last year. It was an awful move by Toronto to trade a first for him. Folingo had 7 goals and 13 assists in 49 games when he got traded to Toronto. At least he was playing at a 3rd line level last year. This year he’s been basically a JAG 4th liner.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Foligno?
Oh man he was awfull last year.

The guy scored 20 points and wheels were starting to come off.
If that’s high end it may explain why they are a WC team at best

Hall was brought in earlier already.
As I said they they lost a bigger player than added this summer, a team that was already lacking a quality player.

Hall- Krejci- add
To now
Hall- add- add

This team has lacked high end talent after the 1st line and still is missing that high end talent.
While also having zero and I mean zero plans for post Bergeron as franchise C time

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
different game for sure but still shocked at just how soft this team is under a guy in Neely who always left it on the ice, even near the end of his career while playing on one leg

This!

Neely was one of the toughest & fiercest competitors on the ice. I can't believe he's happy with this baby shit soft edition of the Bruins, I just can't.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
different game for sure but still shocked at just how soft this team is under a guy in Neely who always left it on the ice, even near the end of his career while playing on one leg

It's why his tenure as an executive has now completely tarnished his image (to me) as a player and why I'd not even have this username if I didn't wanna maintain my identity here. He's a sell-out, because the only reason on god's green earth someone can change their spots like that is in subservience to money, power or politics. Gross.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

He was producing like a 3rd line guy last year. Do you honestly believe he has a first round value. How would you feel if the bruins gave up a first round pick for a guy with 7 goals at the deadline this year?

He ended up going to Toronto, where his top line combo was their first line and he has zero goals in the rest of his Toronto tenure on their top line.

Idk what you view has high end, but 7 goals is not high end.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Paying a 1st round pick doesn’t mean someone is a high end player.

20 points last year, 4 points this year.
That’s a bottom6 depth player, not a game breaker

people don’t understand the basic concepts of supply and demand

just because you bought that house for 300k in a Wild West market doesn’t mean that house is actually worth 300 k

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
people don’t understand the basic concepts of supple and demand

just because you bought that house for 300k in a Wild West market doesn’t mean that house is actually worth 300 k

This is what I think too- Foligno's value at the time the Leafs traded for him was apparently higher compared to other players with his skillset etc. The Leafs really thought they needed him so they either paid the asking price or blew other teams' offers out of the water to get him.

TDL deals, as far as I can see, are for the most seldom a true indicator of a player's value. If a team thinks it needs Player X to get to where they want to go they are almost always willing to overpay to get him, which can distort his actual value.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's why his tenure as an executive has now completely tarnished his image (to me) as a player and why I'd not even have this username if I didn't wanna maintain my identity here. He's a sell-out, because the only reason on god's green earth someone can change their spots like that is in subservience to money, power or politics. Gross.

Correct, this is gross indeed.

Reactions: NeelyDan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad