Grade offseason moves

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Overpaid on nearly every transaction he made today and he didn't address any of the actual holes on the second line or on defense. Instead he added a bunch of 4th liners and paid a premium to do it. Not good.

Walked in with the cap space only a few teams had and loaded up on pure bottom six depth and 3rd pair defensemen. Replaced Ritchie's toughness with Foligno, and little more.

Ullmark is a good value signing but I am not a fan of taking a loss on Vladar considering the time invested.

I also would have preferred a trade to land a true top six winger in their prime, or an Eichel, or a true top four left defenseman.

Sweeney did decent, but any GM with that cap space was going to at least do decently if they were shopping strictly for depth.

Nearly every player is 6'0 to 6'1. Hardly the size and toughness to drive possession and score in the playoffs, or clear the crease and prevent deflection/rebound goals against.

I did give Sweeney a C but think many of us might have done at least as well. Credit to him for at last having a high quality draft.

I expect this is his final season as our GM.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
D

Lauzon and Miller out

Forbort in

Krejci and Kuraly out

Haula and Nosek in

Ritchie out

Foligno in

Rask and Vladar out

Ullmark in

Give him credit for re-signing Hall and Reilly I guess.

As presently constituted, I can’t say they’re better than they were at the end of this past season.

Nor can I say they’re as good as they were.
Not right now.

Reactions: Estlin and TCB

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Gave him a B. Besides Ullmark’s contract, the terms on the new contracts are ok. There were some crazy contracts signed by other teams. The bottom 6 got addressed. If I see some toughness, I’ll be happy. When you are involved in the Free Agency fiasco, it’s never good. It’s obvious they are going for it. Did the word come from upstairs? Seems like it. Very un Sweeney like. Is it make or break for Sweeney?

Reactions: Bodit9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Gave him a B. Besides Ullmark’s contract, the terms on the new contracts are ok. There were some crazy contracts signed by other teams. The bottom 6 got addressed. If I see some toughness, I’ll be happy. When you are involved in the Free Agency fiasco, it’s never good. It’s obvious they are going for it. Did the word come from upstairs? Seems like it. Very un Sweeney like. Is it make or break for Sweeney?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I'm totally on board for what we've seen in the bottom-6 makeover. I've wanted Haula and Foligno for years. Maybe a few years too late.... but can't complain about the term. Nosek appears like an effective player with size. Coming off a very good season. That side of transactions gets an thumbs up from me.

The blueline additions..... Not a fan. Miller and Lauzon will be missed. Holes were filled, but I'm not digging the look. Forbort and Reilly can play, but still too much work on the shoulders of McAvoy. Biggest hole on the roster yet to be addressed.

Goaltending... Going from Rask to Ullmark at 4 x $5M/per. I really don't know. I won't pretend I've actually watched him closely and know anything about him...... I wish I had a stronger opinion. I'm all for it if he stops pucks at a Vezina level like Rask.

Some good. Some bad. Some neutral. I'll giver a C rating. Re-signing Krejci would boost to a B rating.

Reactions: inactive user

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Do people want Krecji back because:
He had a great season /playoff
He is currently the best player available
44 points in 55 GP in regular season.
9 points in 11 GP in the Playoffs.

Yeah, I want him back because he's a great hockey player.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I'm waiting on the JDB trade and Krecji resigning. If that is the case, counting Hall as an acquisition: Bottom 3 lines are improved; Defense is slightly improved; goaltending with Swayman and Ullmark has promise that one of the two takes the reigns and is the #1 goalie. I give it a B.

The term on Ullmark is the biggest downside IMO. I thought Bernier would have been the right move at this time.

Reactions: Bodit9

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
One very obvious element to this weeks events is that the heavy weights have lost some ground and we have gained some. The divide has closed quite a bit! There is some work to be done, Debrusk out, #2 D in

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
One very obvious element to this weeks events is that the heavy weights have lost some ground and we have gained some. The divide has closed quite a bit! There is some work to be done, Debrusk out, #2 D in

also an elite center in*

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
You sure?? Neely said after this season ended.... team needs a big LHD to play top pairing duty

sweeney said like 2 hours ago that basically derek is excited to play elevated minutes with brandon and charlie, brandon on pk and…some other opportunities.

i mean he said top pair without saying top pair right?

Reactions: rocketdan9

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
sweeney said like 2 hours ago that basically derek is excited to play elevated minutes with brandon and charlie, brandon on pk and…some other opportunities.

i mean he said top pair without saying top pair right?
If that's the case then this will be Chara-McAvoy all over again. Charlie will have to continuously bail him out.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Root

Feb 22, 2010
If that's the case then this will be Chara-McAvoy all over again. Charlie will have to continuously bail him out.

There isn't a left shot defensemen on the roster right now that Charlie wouldn't have to bail out in one zone or the other. That is what you get when you either have one dimensional puck moving defensemen or one dimensional defensive defensemen.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Grzelcyk is your top pairing left D

Charlie Coyle is your #2 center

Enough said
It’s only day 1 and the Bruins had multiple needs. They improved the bottom 6 and solidified a precarious goaltending situation. I’m hopeful Krejci comes back . I didn’t expect to see all the issues the team faces solved on day 1 .

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

you under rate forbort. Doughty scored 60 points with forbort next to him 4 years ago (his best season offensively) he doesnt handle the puck like a grenade and can go get the puck. Charlie should be more aggressive offensively this season and forbort should be the reason for it. I think people will be surprised at how good forbort is.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
you under rate forbort. Doughty scored 60 points with forbort next to him 4 years ago (his best season offensively) he doesnt handle the puck like a grenade and can go get the puck. Charlie should be more aggressive offensively this season and forbort should be the reason for it. I think people will be surprised at how good forbort is.

He didn't like the name, even when it was a rumor

lets see how it looks. Either it will be another John Moore or a more mobile Tinordi

Reactions: Oates2Neely
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad