Management Sweeney addresses media: All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Lol. Nothing here. Obviously he isn’t showing anyone his cards.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
It is most definitely not his style to share anything of substance and that is good when it comes to player personal situations or details of the talks they have had with them. I don't think the media should go there anyway.

That being said, it would be great if some of the questions would come back to overall philosophy and team building and call out the obvious for a position and response. Even with Grze back we have a non playoff caliber D with huge question marks on Miller, Moore, and the yutes. How is it possible that a team paying to the cap doesn't have a strong top 4 and why is he adding $2M for a player in UFA who hasn't played in 18 months and wouldn't even be able to come back if the season started today - on MEDICAL CLEARANCE. Wtf.

Second, what is his philosophy on the front end. Still pack rat mentality with middle 6 everywhere as opposed to a matchup style with a grind/shutdown line and how that matches to how Cassidy wants to play the players?

Finally, what is the transition plan from Krejci and Bergeron who are going to trend down even if still players and if he feels he has the yutes in the system why are they not getting ice time and grooming on the B's to grow into the role in the bottom 6?

I'm sure he has a "plan", it just doesn't seem to make any sense...

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Listening to this guy speak is sickening. Internal competition.....Who is this guy kidding.....This guy is a clown. Since day one. Same old bullspit Wash, spin and dry. Such a fraud, and really a scared little man. He says Trades are open....LOL, who is he kidding...I have never seen a GM so scared. Terrified.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Listening to this guy speak is sickening. Internal competition.....Who is this guy kidding.....This guy is a clown. Since day one. Same old bullspit Wash, spin and dry. Such a fraud, and really a scared little man. He says Trades are open....LOL, who is he kidding...I have never seen a GM so scared. Terrified.
He reminds me of Kevin Lowe. Hired by his buddies, has no idea what he’s doing, and the team just progressively gets worse each year despite having multiple opportunities to retool and stay at the top. Even with an average GM this team would have a couple more cups and would be looking to go again this year. He’s just awful.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Sign Hall and move out Kase, Moore, Ritchie for picks.

Pasta Bergy Marshy
Hall Krecji Smith
Debrusk Coyle Studnicka
Wagner Kuraly Frédéric

Synshyn

All free advice. What’s not to like?

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Sign Hall and move out Kase, Moore, Ritchie for picks.

Pasta Bergy Marshy
Hall Krecji Smith
Debrusk Coyle Studnicka
Wagner Kuraly Frédéric

Synshyn

All free advice. What’s not to like?
I would go like this instead
Hall-Krejci-Pasta
Marchand-Bergy-Stud
Debrusk-Coyle-Smith
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner
Lindholm-Bjork

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Wow, Dicky and Riley. One of the best three teams in the NHL the last two seasons, and you think the team is getting progressively worse every year? GM of the year just last year, and he has no idea what he's doing? Who played in the NHL for how many years, and he's a p***y? Unlike Gabrielle, who played for how many games?

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Main issue is for me is that Sweeney and my hero Neely said they just were not good enough and steps would be taken to address that.

And now the fanbase has to read between the lines to understand that the Bruins are basically undertaking a youth movement to address the weaknesses that the bigger, nastier, more physically committed teams have exposed in the Bruins.

So not only have they lost talent, no GM would trade Krug for Smith 1-1, they are still smaller, slower, and less inclined to heavy playoff hockey. Where the heck is the Boston media to hold the front office accountable?

Sweeney had the cap room and should have made some moves to address how this team is able to compete when it counts. I am very frustrated with these guys and really would not believe a word they say.

Reactions: Dicky113

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
GM Don Sweeney meets with the media to talk about new winger Craig Smith, the loss of Torey Krug, and discussions with Zdeno Chara:

Who told him the Harry Caray glasses were a good idea? He looks like Rob Lowe if Rob really let himself go.

I still can't fathom that four days into free agency all we have to show is Craig Smith and Kevan Miller after the infamous "changes" comment. Complete incompetence. :laugh:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Who told him the Harry Caray glasses were a good idea? He looks like Rob Lowe if Rob really let himself go.

I still can't fathom that four days into free agency all we have to show is Craig Smith and Kevan Miller after the infamous "changes" comment. Complete incompetence. :laugh:

A whole 4 days! Oh no!!

Christ, the ignorance in this thread is appalling. How about we wait until the team actually sucks before releasing your inner 98.5?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
A whole 4 days! Oh no!!

Christ, the ignorance in this thread is appalling. How about we wait until the team actually sucks before releasing your inner 98.5?

I get the sentiment, but you are also choosing to ignore a couple key things:

1. The top free agents usually go early, so being active early before the ones you want are scooped up is prudent. We've already seen most of the top scorers snatched up, so inventory is dwindling.

2. For years with Sweeney, the defense goes like this:

a. Let's see if he gets something done at the draft. No? Okay wait until free agency
b. Nothing done early in free agency? Okay it's been four days! Relax!
c. Nothing done the rest of the offseason? Okay wait until the deadline
d. Rinse. Repeat.

He seems incapable of making meaningful improvements. He's ripe for criticism any day anyone wants, including 4 days into free agency.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

The organization is full of liars. Back in 2015 Neely said the team would have “an exhaustive search” for the next GM. Complete BS. All he did was waddle 10 feet down the hall to hand Sweeney the contract.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I get the sentiment, but you are also choosing to ignore a couple key things:

1. The top free agents usually go early, so being active early before the ones you want are scooped up is prudent. We've already seen most of the top scorers snatched up, so inventory is dwindling.

2. For years with Sweeney, the defense goes like this:

a. Let's see if he gets something done at the draft. No? Okay wait until free agency
b. Nothing done early in free agency? Okay it's been four days! Relax!
c. Nothing done the rest of the offseason? Okay wait until the deadline
d. Rinse. Repeat.

He seems incapable of making meaningful improvements. He's ripe for criticism any day anyone wants, including 4 days into free agency.

I think he's made meaningful improvements. He cleaned out some of the guys that didn't figure into the long term plan his first offseason and picked up some good assets: 2nd line winger and a top 4 RD. Coyle has been a solid add. MoJo was a solid add. Halak has been solid. Smith will most likely be a solid addition. We don't know yet on Kase, but the skill is there. There were some things out of his control, like Beleskey being good before he injured and ate himself out of the league and some of the onus on the players for not delivering in G7 last year. This year, they were the best team in the league before the season was abruptly suspended.

Let's not forget that Tampa was the top team in 2018-2019, shit the bed in the 1st round, and didn't get their meaningful additions until the trade deadline a few months ago. They believed in what they had and decided to upgrade when it became available.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
A whole 4 days! Oh no!!

Not addressing the hole at 2RW, sucks, five years later...
Being unable to penetrate big, aggressive defenses with either talent to scheme, sucks...
Saying "We are not good enough and we need to fix that" and then watching most of the top talent in FA go elsewhere sucks...
Not knowing the price for OEL, sucks. I give Sweeney a pass here because I bet it was stupid high with no retention...
Being the 4-5 best playoff team in the east, sucks...

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Not addressing the hole at 2RW, sucks, five years later...
Being unable to penetrate big, aggressive defenses with either talent to scheme, sucks...
Saying "We are not good enough and we need to fix that" and then watching most of the top talent in FA go elsewhere sucks...
Not knowing the price for OEL, sucks. I give Sweeney a pass here because I bet it was stupid high with no retention...
Being the 4-5 best playoff team in the east, sucks...

- that is a black mark. they can't seem to find the right mix there. Hoping Kase is the fix may come back to haunt them but as it stands, he's got the skill to do it.

- disagree. we scored plenty against the Blues, outscored them in the series, put up a 7 and 5 spot in two games but the team shit the bed in G7. they didn't have a problem scoring against Columbus in the playoffs, who had a big, solid D. We seem to do well against the Islanders in the regular season. Tampa has been a mismatch issue.

- not from a lack of want or effort

- irrelevant

- Disagree. I think the team has been top 2-3 in the East for the playoffs.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Where does the “scared/coward” stuff come from? What do people think he is scared of?

“Diane, you just ended that proposition with a preposition.”

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I find him so insufferable and arrogant for someone who has done virtually nothing to help this team win.

ugh
yeah I really hate listening to him speak. he has such a smug, condescending tone. He's like the opposite of Bruce Cassidy in terms of likability.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
A whole 4 days! Oh no!!

If it wasn't like this five years in a row, I would agree with you. I think they will do some stuff, but I can't get on people for being irritated right now.

Reactions: Don Cherry

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think he's made meaningful improvements. He cleaned out some of the guys that didn't figure into the long term plan his first offseason and picked up some good assets: 2nd line winger and a top 4 RD. Coyle has been a solid add. MoJo was a solid add. Halak has been solid. Smith will most likely be a solid addition. We don't know yet on Kase, but the skill is there. There were some things out of his control, like Beleskey being good before he injured and ate himself out of the league and some of the onus on the players for not delivering in G7 last year. This year, they were the best team in the league before the season was abruptly suspended.

Let's not forget that Tampa was the top team in 2018-2019, shit the bed in the 1st round, and didn't get their meaningful additions until the trade deadline a few months ago. They believed in what they had and decided to upgrade when it became available.

he had a terrible play-offs and his new long term deal is just kicking in. He needs to be the Coyle they got in '19, not '20 or he will be turned on pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad