Swedish World Cup roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Well, Sweden > Canada ... except the goaltending, but the defense will make up for that.

So Lidström, Norström, Johnsson, Ragnarsson, Tjärnqvist and Öhlund are better than Pronger, Blake, Niedermayer, Redden, Foote and Jovanovski :joker: :joker: :joker:

Team Canada has 3 elite #1's, while Sweden has 1. Canadas bottom 3 (Foote, Redden, Jovo) are arguably better than Swedens 2-4 (Ohlund, Johnsson, Norstrom). So where exactly will thier defence "make up for it"?

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Wow, that team is going to get roughed up big time playing a North American style game. Still, I'll be rooting for Nazzy, Ohlund, Daniel and Henrik!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I like the forwards alot, very talented and a healthy dose of beligerence. That being said, the defense and goaltending has some question marks IMO. Not a very physical defense, and several of the D aren't exactly luminaries in their own zone. The goaltending is among the shakiest in the tourney. Could be adequete, could be not so adequete.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Sweden will live or die on its goaltending. Unless Salo comes up big, they're toast. Sweden's defence also isn't as deep as Canada's. Up front, though, they'll be as strong as anybody in the tournament.

I also have to believe this is Sweden's last kick at the cat for a while. Guys like Sundin and Forsberg are getting up there and Sweden just doesn't seem to be producing good young guys like they used to.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
I like the forwards alot, very talented and a healthy dose of beligerence. That being said, the defense and goaltending has some question marks IMO. Not a very physical defense, and several of the D aren't exactly luminaries in their own zone. The goaltending is among the shakiest in the tourney. Could be adequete, could be not so adequete.
Don't underestimate Swedish goalies in international tournaments.

See Mikael Tellqvist, 2003 WC's and Henrik Lundqvist, 2004 WC's.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafaholix said:
Don't underestimate Swedish goalies in international tournaments.

See Mikael Tellqvist, 2003 WC's and Henrik Lundqvist, 2004 WC's.

Not to mention Salo in the Olympics.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
The captain will probably be one of Sundin, Jörgen Jönsson, Lidström and Norström.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I would guess Sundin would be captain as well, he has great history playing for Sweden.
I was somewhat surprized that Hoglund didn't make it, he seemed to have a decent WC, plus he's familiar with Sundin...

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
This team's defence is not nearly as good as Canada's.

However, the forwards are certainly an elite group.

I think this the Swedes will, once again, challenge the Canadian team.

mackdogs*

wilka91 said:
Well, Sweden > Canada ... except the goaltending, but the defense will make up for that.

And what about the other teams that will be competing?

Thanks for the laugh tho, this is easily the stupidest post I've read in weeks. :shakehead

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
devildan said:
Team Canada has 3 elite #1's, while Sweden has 1. Canadas bottom 3 (Foote, Redden, Jovo) are arguably better than Swedens 2-4 (Ohlund, Johnsson, Norstrom). So where exactly will thier defence "make up for it"?

Agreed Lidström is a #1 as well as the canadians you mentioned. But I would rather say Foote, Redden and Jovanovski are quite equal to Johnsson, Öhlund and Norström tahn better. But overall Canada have an advantage on every position but as usual you can only dress 18 skaters, why all the other teams have a chance. ;)

This time we gonna go the whole way. Maybe not realistic, but I'm totally optimistic. :yo:

Burnaby_Joe*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Sweden's 1-4 D is as good as anyone's IMO

Lidstrom
Ohlund
Johnsson
Norstrom

Impressive top4. :bow:

Sweden>Canada

Lidstrom,Ohlund,Johnsson,Norstrom < Niedermayer,Pronger,Blake,Foote. :bow:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would have found a spot at RW for Mattias Weinhandl, the Sedin's old linemate I do believe. After all, not too many right-handed shots on this team.

That said, this is going to be a very strong contender at the WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad