Swedish World Cup roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
GOBRUINS19 said:
Cograts to P. J Axelsson on making the team again. Very disappointed that Nylander(a great 2nd LIner in the NHL) never made it over players such as Jörgen Jönsson,Samuel Påhlsson,Marcus Nilson and Andreas Johansson
Nylander didn´t make it over players such as Sundin and Forsberg. That´s the official explanation from the team management anyway. They feel that they don´t have any use for him if he doesn´t play on the two top lines, too many offensive players quite simply.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
Sweden gets great goaltending in international tournaments.

I think it's a good bet that their goaltending is going to be solid. They don't produce as many NHL calibre goaltenders as they would like (I'm sure), but they always have someone that can step in for the Tre Kronor and perform beyond expectations.

Tommy Salo:

2002 World Championships: 7 games, 1.96 GAA, .919%
2002 Olympics: 3 games, 2.35 GAA, .924%
2001 World Championships: 8 games, 1.94 GAA, ,920%
2000 World Championships: 6 games, 1.67 GAA
1999 World Championships: 8 games, 1.84 GAA, .921%
1998 World Championships: 9 games, 0.77 GAA
1998 Olympics: 4 games, 2.27 GAA

Mikael Tellqvist:

2003 World Championships: 7 games, 1.37 GAA, .940%

Henrik Lundqvist:

2004 World Championships: 8 games, 1.64 GAA, .925%
2002 World Junior Championships: 7 games, 2.15 GAA, .906%
2001 World Junior Championships: 7 games, 1.86 GAA, .928%

None of them are at the level of Brodeur, Belfour, or Luongo... but I know that management's probably not that concerned about goaltending. Especially with the emergence of Lundqvist and Tellqvist over the last year.

If you say so. I see Sweden's goaltending as an area of concern. One of their guys could get it done, but that's a big if.

MacDaddy TLC*

Predatore said:
Jönsson,
Has a history of performing poorly with the national team, some rumours as well.. that he isn't on speaking terms with Sundin.
they seem to have been feuding the last 4-5 years. Really nasty in games between the Leafs and Isles.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
GOBRUINS19 said:
Cograts to P. J Axelsson on making the team again. Very disappointed that Nylander(a great 2nd LIner in the NHL) never made it over players such as Jörgen Jönsson,Samuel Påhlsson,Marcus Nilson and Andreas Johansson

Nylander, like you said is a second line player, not a depth player. Pahlsson is one of the better 3rd/4th liners in the league, Jonsson is a very good 3rd liner, as are Nilson and Johansson.

I understand why they didn't pick Jonsson to be a spare(though I'd take him over Tarnstrom), but I can't get how Tjarnqvist made it over Havelid. As much as Havelid sucks, he's a pretty good offensive guy, and is better than Tjarnqvist IMO.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Im pretty sure Nilsson and Holmström will play and not be in the press box. They are the 2 grittiest swedish forwards and Holmström is great in front of the net on the PP. My line up(if i was coach):
Näslund Forsberg Zetterberg
Modin Sundin Alfredsson
Jönsson Påhlsson Holmström
Sedin Sedin Nilsson

Lidström Norström
Jonsson Ragnarsson
Tärnströn Öhlund

Hardys line up (just guessing)
Näslund Forsberg Zetterberg
Modin Sundin Alfredsson
Axelsson Jönsson Holmström
Ekman PÃ¥hlsson Nilsson

Lidström Norström
Jonsson Ragnarsson
Tärnströn Öhlund

Mar 1, 2002
Ekman has been SO disappointing in the playoffs this year. I'm a Sharks fan...and I would have taken Nylander in a heartbeat.

Macman

May 15, 2004
TK79 said:
Yeah right! So you would take guys like Daniel Briere, Anson Carter and Mike Comrie over Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredsson, Näslund and Lidström. Dream on..

It worked at the last two world championships, so why not? But you're forgetting that guys like Kariya, Bertuzzi, Primeau, Nash, Tanguay, Murray, Recchi and Lecavalier would also be on Team Canada II. It's not that much of dream.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Kronblom said:
The swedish coach Hardy Nilsson explained to the swedish media why he left out Michel Nylander and Kenny Jönsson:

Hardy Nilsson felt that Michael Nylander would do a good job for Sweden if he played as an offensive center in the first two lines, but there wasn´t any room for him on the top lines since we have better options in Sundin and Forsberg. Jönsson is supposed to play a more allround/defensive role, besides he is among the best penaltykillers on this team.

so Hardy explained he is a moron. You are lucky enough to have Nylander besides Forsberg and Sundin and insted of making him your 3rd line center ( putting J.Jonsson on the fourth, if you think he is necessary) giving your team three scoring lines hard to face for everyone you leave him out :lol:
it looks like for too many people, when it comes down to the 3rd and 4th line hockey is a different game where you're not allowed to score while the opposition can do it or where you're going to play without sticks and pucks.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Predatore said:
Here's Sweden's roster for the 2004 World Cup of Hockey:

Goaltenders
Henrik Lundqvist (Frölunda)
Tommy Salo (Colorado)
Mikael Tellqvist (Toronto)

Defensemen
Christian Bäckman (St. Louis)
Kim Johnsson (Philadelphia)
Nicklas Lidström (Detroit)
Mattias Norström (Los Angeles)
Marcus Ragnarsson (Philadelphia)
Daniel Tjärnqvist (Atlanta)
Dick Tärnström (Pittsburgh)
Mattias Öhlund (Vancouver)

Forwards
Daniel Alfredsson (Ottawa)
Per-Johan Axelsson (Boston)
Nils Ekman (San José)
Peter Forsberg (Colorado)
Tomas Holmström (Detroit)
Andreas Johansson (Nashville)
Jörgen Jönsson (Färjestad)
Fredrik Modin (Tampa Bay)
Marcus Nilson (Calgary)
Markus Näslund (Vancouver)
Samuel PÃ¥hlsson (Anaheim)
Daniel Sedin (Vancouver)
Henrik Sedin (Vancouver)
Mats Sundin (Toronto)
Henrik Zetterberg (Detroit)

Put in Nylander, Arvedsson ( won't be healthy by August?), probably Huselius, Havelid, K.Jonsson and take away Tarnstrom, Tjarnqvist, the two Sedins and maybe one out of Axelsson/Nilsson and you would have a great team.
Anyway this is a terrific squad and IF the goalies can do the job its chances to win it all are as good as anyone else's.

Mats_Hallin

Feb 1, 2004
Nylander's sloppy defense won't be missed however I can't see why there is no love for Andreas Lilja? He should have made the WC squad IMO.
His 230 lbs could have come handy versus teams like Canada and USA.
Tjärnström, Hävelid, Tärnström, Johnsson will all get outmuscled in front of the net and in the corners as ussual.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Mats_Hallin said:
Tjärnström, Hävelid, Tärnström, Johnsson will all get outmuscled in front of the net and in the corners as ussual.

I guess we are lucky that Hävelid isn't playing then

and is Tjärnström a clone between Tjärnqvist and Tärnström ? :dunno: ;)

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
TK79 said:
Yeah right! So you would take guys like Daniel Briere, Anson Carter and Mike Comrie over Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredsson, Näslund and Lidström. Dream on..

Great Post! Name your 5 best players and our bottom 2 line forwards. To tell you the truth Bertuzzi, Lecavalier, Karyia, Nash, Tanguay and Murray could compete with any 2 lines in the tournement, including Sweden`s top two, and I`d sure as hell rather have Theodore, Turco and Giguere over Swedens three goalies.

Mats_Hallin

Feb 1, 2004
Predatore said:
I guess we are lucky that Hävelid isn't playing then

and is Tjärnström a clone between Tjärnqvist and Tärnström ? :dunno: ;)

Tjärnqvist, skjärtqvist, whatever..
He's Hardy's lapdog and hopefully he'll end up in the pressbox.
I would prefer Ragnarsson over Backman so we have at least three good strong defensive d-mans playing.

Norström-Lidström
Öhlund-Johnsson
Ragnarsson/Backman-Tärnström

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
helicecopter said:
so Hardy explained he is a moron. You are lucky enough to have Nylander besides Forsberg and Sundin and insted of making him your 3rd line center ( putting J.Jonsson on the fourth, if you think he is necessary) giving your team three scoring lines hard to face for everyone you leave him out :lol:
it looks like for too many people, when it comes down to the 3rd and 4th line hockey is a different game where you're not allowed to score while the opposition can do it or where you're going to play without sticks and pucks.
We already know he is moron.

Ulf Dahlén, the assistant coach, defended the decision with "We are not selecting a All Star-team, we are trying to create the best team."

I personally feel that both Nylander and Hävelid should have been on the roster.

SChan*

Are you kidding me? I would take a Canada II team over Sweden.

But last time Canada I met Sweden with all their stars you got whopped. (5-2)

Yes yes I know, we lost to belarus, but that doesn't take away the fact that we did beat Canada. (and the only team that did so)

mackdogs*

SantaCruZer said:
But last time Canada I met Sweden with all their stars you got whopped. (5-2)

Yes yes I know, we lost to belarus, but that doesn't take away the fact that we did beat Canada. (and the only team that did so)

It also doesn't take away from the fact that that game was completely meaningless, you left that part out. It's about performing under pressure.

SChan*

So it was meaningless now? So you think all the Canadian players just told eachother before the game. Let's lose! That's NOT the Canadian spririt, and you know it.

And In order to advance to the next stage, no game is meaningless.

MacDaddy TLC*

Ottawa Buoy said:
What's the story behind that anyways? Did KJ bang Sundin's wife or somethin'? :dunno:
As far as i know it is all on ice issues. They have really went at it tooth and nail the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->