Swedens future defence

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
We will see. They haven't proven anything yet, and they didn't win anything at World Juniors together either. The logic would be that at least a few of them takes it to the next level, but with Swedes that may take a while.

The only 26 or younger guys we have that have proven anything at NHL level are Eriksson, Enstrom, Backstrom, Berglund, Edler, Hornqvist, Hjalmarsson, Hedman and Karlsson to some extent. Meanwhile we are losing some really prominent players every year nowadays like Sundin, Naslund, Forsberg, Jonsson, Norstrom, Modin and soon Lidstrom and Alfredsson aswell. These are stars, superstars in some cases. We need a bunch of the prospects, yet to play in the NHL, to pan out and become stars before we can talk about how good our Olympic team might become.

I find it odd how pessimistic Swedish posters on here can be sometimes.

Sundin has been retired for awhile and certainly not relevant for awhile. Naslund has been finished for longer than Sundin. Forsberg hasn't been seriously relevant in 3-4 years. Jonsson and Nostrom are very replacable considering the current crop. Alfredsson is also replaceable, not being on the same level as Forsberg or Naslund in their prime. Lidstrom is obviously the one player you are likely never going to replace.

Yet, we look at the current Swedish national crop. Backstrom in my mind is a top notch player. He isn't Forsberg level, but he's certainly on the same level as a Sundin long-term IMO. You havr the Sedin's, in their prime for another 3-4 years. Both are Top 10 players in the world. These 3 guys are world class Forwards. Eriksson promises to be an exceedingly good player for many years. He won't be on the same level as the Golden generation, but he's a player any national team would love to have. Zetterberg still has a few years left too.

World Junior wise, Sweden has won 3 medals in the last 4 years. I'd say arguably, year on year, they have had the best talent assembled outside Canada. They've under-performed at this event. Considering Sweden will always match up stronger to Canada in the Senior events than they do at Junior because of the sheer numbers, the situation looks good. Coming through are a number of world class D prospects. Larsson, Rundblad, Erixon, Hedman, Karlsson, Ekholm, Klefbom, Brodin plus many other potential NHL players at this position. Of course not all will succeed, but i'd be icnredibly suprised if 2-3 of these don't become world class players. Add these to Edler, Enstrom and the other competent Swedish D in their prime now, and the backend will be immensely talented capable of outplaying Canada during any given day.

The Goalies being developed now in Sweden are also world class. Lundqvist aside, prospects like Markstrom, Lindback, Nilsson and Enroth + others is plenty depth.

The Forwards aren't perhaps as strong as you like. But Backstrom + Sedin's give you 3 world class players. Prospects like Tedenby, Pajaarvi, Josefson, Omark, Landeskog, Lander, Silfverberg, Jarnkrok, Larsson, Forsberg, Collberg, Backlund, Zibanejad, Karlsson plus many more mean Sweden is going to produce high level players. Sure, it won't be as high end as Russia or Canada, but there are plently of potential Forwards capable of competing against those two nations.

The depth of talent Sweden is producing plus already existing high end players mean they are capable of winning gold at any event at any given time. If they faced Canada at an olympic or World championship event in the next 10+ years you'd never call it a shock if Sweden won.

Burrows Bite

Jul 4, 2011
I think the key is the larger ice surface at the 2014 games. Sweden players are much more used to playing on it than Canadian players. Sweden would be tough for Canada to beat.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Its insane what future sweden has in that area.

You have Edler and Enstrom, both around 25 and both top 10 defenders in the NHL.

You have hedman and karlsson both around 20 and top tier defenders on their respective teams. Karlsson will most likely turn out to be one of nhls top offensive d men, and hedman a very solid all around defender.

You have Rundblad and Oliver Ekman Larsson, both highly regarded prospects and potential franchise D's if they turn out as projected.

You have Adam Larsson, best defender of the 2011 draft, very talented.

You have Brodin, a top 10 pick 2011, Klefbom, also first rounder, Same with Erixon, and you have Urbom, promising defensive dman.

Im sure i have forgotten a few, but my point is, the next few olympics, sweden may present a more stacked D than even canada.

You're overrating those four main guys by a fair bit. Edler and Enstrom are top 30ish, while Hedman and Karlsson are both floating somewhere in the top 90-150. Karlsson isn't even a top-pairing dman, much less top 20 in the NHL, and Hedman isn't yet good enough to be considered a #1 guy in my opinion.

Last edited:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
You're overrating those four main guys by a fair bit. Edler and Enstrom are top 30, while Hedman and Karlsson are both floating somewhere in the top 90-150. Karlsson isn't even a top-pairing dman, much less top 20 in the NHL, and Hedman isn't yet good enough to be considered a #1 guy in my opinion.

And you are severly underrating Karlsson if you have him in the 90-150 range :laugh:

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
what would their entire rooster of A-list prospects be?

Landeskog, zibanejad, Pajaarvi, Josefsson, Tedenby, Lander, Jarnkrok, Johansson, Silfverberg, Rodin, Backlund, Nyqvist

OEL, Gustafsson, Erixon, Larsson, Urbom, Klefbom, Brodin, Rundblad

who am i forgetting?

As a Devils fan I don't really think it's right to put Urbom - a good player no doubt - up there with the rest of them.

His Beardliness*

You're overrating those four main guys by a fair bit. Edler and Enstrom are top 30, while Hedman and Karlsson are both floating somewhere in the top 90-150. Karlsson isn't even a top-pairing dman, much less top 20 in the NHL, and Hedman isn't yet good enough to be considered a #1 guy in my opinion.

Hilarious. Karlsson is an all-star.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
And you are severly underrating Karlsson if you have him in the 90-150 range :laugh:

Right now? He's played in circumstances that make him look like a good 2nd pairing dman/fringe top pair. I'm not rating him based on how I think he'll do this year, but how he's been utilized so far. Potential is just lovely, but there's no sense in blowing your load over a player until they've actually reached it.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Right now? He's played in circumstances that make him look like a good 2nd pairing dman/fringe top pair. I'm not rating him based on how I think he'll do this year, but how he's been utilized so far. Potential is just lovely, but there's no sense in blowing your load over a player until they've actually reached it.

90-150 players better than Karlsson and Hedman. Even though both of them are top pairing for their teams. Also 30 players ahead of Enstrom and Edler. Even though both are #1 for their teams.

150 btw means that most of the 3rd pairing defensemen in the league are better than Karlsson or Hedman. That probably makes guys like Ohlund or Gonchar TOP 200. 2nd pairing AHL defensemen.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It's a Swedish thing. Pessimism and self- overanalyzing is in our genes.

I've read this thread and got same impression aswell. It's like everybody doesn't want to have butthurt in future.

Many of thos guys are not even in "Just potential they haven't achieved anything yet". Hedman and Karlsson are 1st pairing defensemen for their teams, Ekman-Larsson was great at WC, Rundblad, Erixon and Larsson had outstanding SEL seasons at very young age.

Other european countries can only dream about such group. Yet the swedish posters are once again doing this "well we respect everybody and we are not so good really".And even our older guys who are recognized as a World elite in NHL are in fact "not so good".

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
90-150 players better than Karlsson and Hedman. Even though both of them are top pairing for their teams. Also 30 players ahead of Enstrom and Edler. Even though both are #1 for their teams.

150 btw means that most of the 3rd pairing defensemen in the league are better than Karlsson or Hedman. That probably makes guys like Ohlund or Gonchar TOP 200. 2nd pairing AHL defensemen.

I don't think you quite understand the concept of "top 30", etc. Top 30 means somewhere between top player and 30th best player; I do think there are at least 10-15 guys who are better than Edler, and possibly Enstrom, but I really don't care enough to go through comprehensively and be more exact, so top 30 (meaning they're definitely #1 defencemen) seemed good enough.

Same thing goes for Hedman/Karlsson. Top 90 would mean they're 90th or better, etc. I probably should've left off the "top 150" bit, but such is life.

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
Ok, obviously great and undeniable talent coming out of Sweden. But top two or better then Canada??? WTF ?? Really? Do you watch alot if hockey? For every great prospect Sweden has Canada has one or two better. Canada can put out a second team that will be as good or better for the 2014 Olympics! Depth is the key here. This thread banks on every Swedish defender playing at the top of his game. We saw what some of the supposed top Swedish defenders performed like against Boston in the cup finals. Lidstrom will not be playing in '14. Aside from him Swedish defenders have proved to be better 2-3-4 d-men then dominating number ones. No disrespect as I have the utmost respect for the great program coming out of Sweden. It's just tough to match up with the skill and depth Canada or the Us can throw out there.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I dont think 2nd best prospect pool on D is a false statement, rather accurate on the contrary.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog
Zetterberg-Backstrom-Eriksson
Paajarvi-Backlund-Hornqvist
Omark-Josefson-Tedenby

Hedman-Larsson
OEL-Karlsson
Rundblad-Enstrom

Eddler, Kronwall

Lundqvist
Markstrom

:naughty:

Man, if Landeskog pans out like he's supposed to (a power forward with more skill than Burrows) that would be a sweet match.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog
Zetterberg-Backstrom-Eriksson
Paajarvi-Johansen-Silfverberg
Omark-Berglund-Hornqvist

Tedenby, Josefson

Rundblad-Larsson
Hedman-Karlsson
OEL-Enstrom

Edler, Kronwall

Lundqvist
Lehner

:naughty:

Fixed it up a little bit.

sakicisgod

Sep 30, 2009
Canada wins.

Every argument comparing hockey skill, whether goaltending, offence, defence. Vets, young stars, prospects, doesn't matter.

Canada wins.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You're overrating those four main guys by a fair bit. Edler and Enstrom are top 30ish, while Hedman and Karlsson are both floating somewhere in the top 90-150. Karlsson isn't even a top-pairing dman, much less top 20 in the NHL, and Hedman isn't yet good enough to be considered a #1 guy in my opinion.

:facepalm: That's an embarrassing post.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Canada wins.

Every argument comparing hockey skill, whether goaltending, offence, defence. Vets, young stars, prospects, doesn't matter.

Canada wins.

Thanks for the info. Any other relevant info you feel you want to share with us?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad