Swedens future defence

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Potential schmotential.

Sweden have one #1 defender in the NHL. He is over 40 years old.

False.

Tobias Enstrom is definitely a #1 defender, and while people will like to argue this, the fact is that Alexander Edler had also became the Canucks' #1 defender last season on merit, before he was injured. He is that good.

The rest, sure, potential, but you can't dispute those two, who are both top 20 defenders in the league. I won't say top 10, as I don't think both of them are quite there yet, but top 20 for sure.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Potential schmotential.

While it is encouraging that we have a bunch of skilled young guys many of them will top out as #2/#3 defenders and because of the insane hype regarding Swedish defenders lately they will be considered half-busts.

I would say that Enstrom is a #1 defender. I guess a case could be made for Edler as well. If Enstrom is not a #1 defenceman, how many #1 defencemen are there in the NHL?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I would say that Enstrom is a #1 defender. I guess a case could be made for Edler as well. If Enstrom is not a #1 defenceman, how many #1 defencemen are there in the NHL?

To me a #1 defender is one that is very good at all aspects of the position. I don't see Enström and Edler being that. Solid #2 defenders, no doubt.

I know Enström is pretty good defensively for being his size. I know Edler has a good shot and pretty decent offense.

But I guess if we water down the definition of #1 enough, both guys could be one.

His Beardliness*

To me a #1 defender is one that is very good at all aspects of the position. I don't see Enström and Edler being that. Solid #2 defenders, no doubt.

I know Enström is pretty good defensively for being his size. I know Edler has a good shot and pretty decent offense.

But I guess if we water down the definition of #1 enough, both guys could be one.

Both of those are definitely number 1 D's. Who is number 1 for their teams otherwise? You can't make a serious case for Byfuglien. Bieksa and Hamhuis are solid, but not number 1's, none of them are proficient on the PP. So Edler and Enström it is.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Potential schmotential.

While it is encouraging that we have a bunch of skilled young guys many of them will top out as #2/#3 defenders and because of the insane hype regarding Swedish defenders lately they will be considered half-busts.

Thats the thing though, even if a guy like Hedman stopped progressing today, he would still be a solid top pairing guy,and one of the best second pairing guys in the world. Considering his age and all, I highly doubt he has reached his peak just yet. He seems to be a safe bet to say he will get better. Sweden also have a few guys that are very young and having an impact in the NHL. Sure some won't fill out as they are billed, but regardless they will be serviceable defensemen. Sweden probably will be stacked on the defense side of things.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Both of those are definitely number 1 D's. Who is number 1 for their teams otherwise? You can't make a serious case for Byfuglien. Bieksa and Hamhuis are solid, but not number 1's, none of them are proficient on the PP. So Edler and Enström it is.

I never claimed they weren't the best defenders on their teams. They are.

The term #1 defender normally means something different though.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.

It's not a matter of watering the definition of what a #1 is, but having updated knowledge about these players, in this case.

Enstrom put up 50 and 51 points in his last two years, and he's the defensive conscience on the #1 pairing of the Thrashers - bad team, bad overall +/-, but he's very solid defensively, as you said himself. That, and putting up 50+ points?

Edler is like Enstrom in that they both have great passing games, the aforementioned good shot and offense, and Edler has also developed a puck-rushing side to him. Most importantly, he was the most physical d-man on the Canucks blueline since last playoffs, and was consistently great defensively since this year before he went down with his injury. He was also on pace for 50+ points before the injury.

Those two are #1 defenders in your own criteria. However, I don't believe your knowledge on them is up to date enough, as you've said from 'what you know', hence the disjunction here.

Make of it what you will.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not a matter of watering the definition of what a #1 is, but having updated knowledge about these players, in this case.

Enstrom put up 50 and 51 points in his last two years, and he's the defensive conscience on the #1 pairing of the Thrashers - bad team, bad overall +/-, but he's very solid defensively, as you said himself. That, and putting up 50+ points?

Edler is like Enstrom in that they both have great passing games, the aforementioned good shot and offense, and Edler has also developed a puck-rushing side to him. Most importantly, he was the most physical d-man on the Canucks blueline since last playoffs, and was consistently great defensively since this year before he went down with his injury. He was also on pace for 50+ points before the injury.

Those two are #1 defenders in your own criteria. However, I don't believe your knowledge on them is up to date enough, as you've said from 'what you know', hence the disjunction here.

Make of it what you will.

I think your reading comprehension is a bit off. I didn't say Enström was "very solid defensively". I said he was "pretty good defensively for being his size". The difference between those two is massive.

As for Edler, I don't doubt you Vancouver fans think he is a #1 defender. I see him more as a cart than an engine. Good defender but more of a #2 than a #1.

BLBarmada

Not gunna lie if all of or most of Swedens prospects pan out they'll be #2 for a while, and #1 some years.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
I think your reading comprehension is a bit off. I didn't say Enström was "very solid defensively". I said he was "pretty good defensively for being his size". The difference between those two is massive.

As for Edler, I don't doubt you Vancouver fans think he is a #1 defender. I see him more as a cart than an engine. Good defender but more of a #2 than a #1.

Enström is definitely a no 1 no matter his size. And Edler has a pretty decent case. And with the wealth of young defensive talent coming through, it's certainly looking good for the future.

Honestly, I feel you're just being über-"objective" here for the sake of it. How very Swedish ;)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
We will see. They haven't proven anything yet, and they didn't win anything at World Juniors together either. The logic would be that at least a few of them takes it to the next level, but with Swedes that may take a while.

The only 26 or younger guys we have that have proven anything at NHL level are Eriksson, Enstrom, Backstrom, Berglund, Edler, Hornqvist, Hjalmarsson, Hedman and Karlsson to some extent. Meanwhile we are losing some really prominent players every year nowadays like Sundin, Naslund, Forsberg, Jonsson, Norstrom, Modin and soon Lidstrom and Alfredsson aswell. These are stars, superstars in some cases. We need a bunch of the prospects, yet to play in the NHL, to pan out and become stars before we can talk about how good our Olympic team might become.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Yeah it's a tough task replacing the old legends.. but there definitely is reason for optimism with so many promising players coming through. The depth is what tells me that we should be fine. Even if a highly touted prospect like a Rundblad or a MPS doesn't amount to much more than a career SEL:er in the long run, an Ekholm or a Nyquist might turn out great.

But yes, obviously we'll have to wait and see.

Rille

Jan 22, 2011
Örnsköldsvik

How many #1 are that in NHL? 5?

BeauRoger

Jan 23, 2007

ehh.. enstrom was in the norris race last season until he got hurt. he was the leading scorer among defencemen in the league while at the same time covering byfugliens rear end defensively.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah it's a tough task replacing the old legends.. but there definitely is reason for optimism with so many promising players coming through. The depth is what tells me that we should be fine. Even if a highly touted prospect like a Rundblad or a MPS doesn't amount to much more than a career SEL:er in the long run, an Ekholm or a Nyquist might turn out great.

But yes, obviously we'll have to wait and see.

I agree that it's promising, especially the amount of good prospects at the same time bodes well. But they won't all pan out. It's definitely sexier to look at the prospects now with their speculated potential, than what most of them will settle to be eventually.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
I agree that it's promising, especially the amount of good prospects at the same time bodes well. But they won't all pan out. It's definitely sexier to look at the prospects now with their speculated potential, than what most of them will settle to be eventually.

Agreed. I'm also convinced quite a few of them won't live up to expectations. Still we can't know what potential Zetterbergian 7th rounder will come out of nowhere and impress. Even with the advances in scouting, there should be a couple of nice surprises (although probably not at the level of Z).

Tyrion Targaryen*

Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog
Zetterberg-Backstrom-Eriksson
Paajarvi-Backlund-Hornqvist
Omark-Josefson-Tedenby

Hedman-Larsson
OEL-Karlsson
Rundblad-Enstrom

Eddler, Kronwall

Lundqvist
Markstrom

:naughty:

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
The way I see it prospects are just prospects until they pan out. It's nice to see that Sweden have a lot of up and coming players, but at the same time we have lost quite a few big stars the last couple of years and some like Lidström and Alfredsson wont play much longer.

Let's see how things look 2014.

The way I see it swedens chances in a best on best tournament depends on how well our young players progress, we don't have too many players in their prime and Sedins and Zetterberg wont last forever.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
No doubt Swedish hockey has done a fantastic job when it comes to developing players. All the way from the top down to the club level. The focus on skill and helping kids understand what it takes to succeed is encouraging.

The change compared to the lean years in the late 90s and at the start of the new century is massive.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
No doubt Swedish hockey has done a fantastic job when it comes to developing players. All the way from the top down to the club level. The focus on skill and helping kids understand what it takes to succeed is encouraging.

The change compared to the lean years in the late 90s and at the start of the new century is massive.

The good prospects often comes out of depth, and the 1990-born and 1991-born swedish agegroups have just that. There's about 125 players born 1990 and 1991 that plays in NHL/AHL/SEL/SEL-2. When theese players enters their prime, there will be quite a few impact players is my guess. Those good crops will most likely raise the quality of swedish hockey somewhat.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Sweden has a ton of high-risk, high-reward defenders here. Even if only half of them reach their potential, they will have a SICK defensive core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad