Swedens future defence

Krudus

Jul 13, 2010
Its insane what future sweden has in that area.

You have Edler and Enstrom, both around 25 and both top 10 defenders in the NHL.

You have hedman and karlsson both around 20 and top tier defenders on their respective teams. Karlsson will most likely turn out to be one of nhls top offensive d men, and hedman a very solid all around defender.

You have Rundblad and Oliver Ekman Larsson, both highly regarded prospects and potential franchise D's if they turn out as projected.

You have Adam Larsson, best defender of the 2011 draft, very talented.

You have Brodin, a top 10 pick 2011, Klefbom, also first rounder, Same with Erixon, and you have Urbom, promising defensive dman.

Im sure i have forgotten a few, but my point is, the next few olympics, sweden may present a more stacked D than even canada.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yep, they have a very deep defensive pool to pull from for a long time to come. Their forwards are nothing to shake a stick at either. Landeskog, Eriksson, Sedins, Berglund, Paajarvi, Johansson, Omark, Silfverberg, Tedenby, Zibanejad, etc. etc.

They're probably going to be the second best team in the world for a while.

Coog

Nov 2, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Yep, they have a very deep defensive pool to pull from for a long time to come. Their forwards are nothing to shake a stick at either. Landeskog, Eriksson, Sedins, Berglund, Paajarvi, Johansson, Omark, Silfverberg, Tedenby, Zibanejad, etc. etc.

I really hope your right about that. The swedish showing in the Vancouver Olympics still infuriates me to this day.

Krudus

Jul 13, 2010
I really hope your right about that. The swedish showing in the Vancouver Olympics still infuriates me to this day.

what would their entire rooster of A-list prospects be?

Landeskog, zibanejad, Pajaarvi, Josefsson, Tedenby, Lander, Jarnkrok, Johansson, Silfverberg, Rodin, Backlund, Nyqvist

OEL, Gustafsson, Erixon, Larsson, Urbom, Klefbom, Brodin, Rundblad

who am i forgetting?

pouskin74*

you mean after Russia?

Metalownall

Oct 8, 2008
Quebec city

Don't forget Zetterberg and Datsyuk ! :O Hedman also on D

Coog

Nov 2, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

Landeskog, zibanejad, Pajaarvi, Josefsson, Tedenby, Lander, Jarnkrok, Johansson, Silfverberg, Rodin, Backlund, Nyqvist

who am i forgetting?

I don't think your forgetting anyone, looks like a complete list (I'm sure someone will be in shortly correcting me on that :D)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

who am i forgetting?

I guess you could include the goalies. Top ones are probably Markstrom and Lehner.

You're missing Omark, Berglund, Petersson, Ekstrom...that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

His Beardliness*

I guess you could include the goalies. Top ones are probably Markstrom and Lehner.

You're missing Omark, Berglund, Petersson, Ekstrom...that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Do you mean Ekholm? Because this thread is yet another proof of how sadly overlooked he is.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Do you mean Ekholm? Because this thread is yet another proof of how sadly overlooked he is.

Yeah, sorry I meant Ekholm. Was just rushing through the post. He's going to be a stud, too, but I don't know if he'll be able to break into the top 6 of Sweden's defence. They have a lot of future studs.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Better than Canada?

I agree with your points to an extent, but Canada is still #1. Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith, Burns, Weber etc etc

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Better than Canada?

I agree with your points to an extent, but Canada is still #1. Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith, Burns, Weber etc etc

There's no reason why in the future a D of Larsson, OEL, Hedman, Karlsson, Edler and Rundblad can't challenge them, if not be better.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Potential schmotential.

Sweden have one #1 defender in the NHL. He is over 40 years old.

While it is encouraging that we have a bunch of skilled young guys many of them will top out as #2/#3 defenders and because of the insane hype regarding Swedish defenders lately they will be considered half-busts.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
There's no reason why in the future a D of Larsson, OEL, Hedman, Karlsson, Edler and Rundblad can't challenge them, if not be better.

Canada has the better players, and more depth...

Especially when you add offense and goalies... On offense, no one on sweden can match the crosbys, the stamkos etc.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.

who am i forgetting?

Markstrom/Lehner have the potential to be a fearsome in goal too. and its looking like Forsberg will be added to that list in 9 months.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Not all of those are going to turn into anything. At the end of the day, we will have lost as many key defensemen that we are getting. Lidstrom, Norstrom, Tarnstrom, Ohlund, Jonsson, Johnsson, Havelid... All retired or soon about to. So we (Sweden) really need these prospects to make an impact.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Canada has the better players, and more depth...

Especially when you add offense and goalies... On offense, no one on sweden can match the crosbys, the stamkos etc.

I wasn't talking about the team overall. Just that I think that a group of Larsson, OEL, Rundblad, Karlsson, Edler/Enstrom and Hedman could be just as good as or better than what Canada has. Especially with Rundblad I feel like Sweden has a potential world class superstar.

On offence I don't think there's any country that can really match Canada, but they still lose often enough. When you get to the top level there might be slight differences in skill, but a hot goalie or a good system can undo a better individually skilled team.

Lehner and Markstrom should, in the future, be on the same level as Canada's top goalies. With that kind of defence, goaltending and offence Sweden will be a threat to anyone, and favored against most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->