Olympics: Sweden Releases Roster - Holmstrom out, Franzen in

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Now we only need Johansson and either of Hornqvist, Weinhandl or Modin to get injured - so that we can get Grossman and Samuelsson on the team.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Apparently, BÃ…G made the decision to scratch Homer, not Homer himself, who said he would probably be able to play in a week.

If Modin won't be able to play from the start either, he'll have a lot of heat. Because Homer brings more to a team than Modin ever will.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Apparently, BÃ…G made the decision to scratch Homer, not Homer himself, who said he would probably be able to play in a week.

If Modin won't be able to play from the start either, he'll have a lot of heat. Because Homer brings more to a team than Modin ever will.

Well he has only 12 forwards, he can't play the entire group stage with only 11 forwards and hope Homer gets better in time for the elimnation games without any chemistry at all. This works out for both Sweden and Detroit Red Wings.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
With Franzén in the lineup, i think our team actually have raised it's chances at success, even if it is on Homers expence.
Franzén have a great net-presence, probably the best on the team along with Hörnqvist.
Overall i am positive. I am not worried about our defence, it is second only to Canada. The question is offence. Eriksson, Franzen, Zetterberg and Alfredsson, have to score, because they will get great dishes from Bäckström/H.Sedin and Forsberg.
Our Team have to rely on it's defensive ability to win games since our offensive capacity isn't that great compared to Russia or Canada.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

That explains why Holmström was so EXTREMELY down and looked outright melancholic in aftonbladet's interview a few days back. He had big plans with bringing along the family and so :/

Should've gotten Vinhandlarn or Modin injured and scratched instead.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Goaltending, special teams and a solid, two-way game with limited mistakes. That's what will bring this team success. Lundqvist is in excellent shape and his glove hand has been on fire. He can anchor this team more than he did in 2006 and I think he will. Our wingers are our big weakness. Guys like Weinhandl and Modin ain't going to cut it.

And still: it is a huge, huge mistake to bring 8 D-men and only 12 forwards into this tournament. Especially with how injury ridden and questionable our forward corps is looking. Overall, I think it's weird the olympic teams have to carry such small squads.

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
That explains why Holmström was so EXTREMELY down and looked outright melancholic in aftonbladet's interview a few days back. He had big plans with bringing along the family and so :/

It wasn't as bad as when Ulf Samuelsson didn't get to play in the Olympics a while back, but Homer looked really sad. I feel for him, I'd rather have him over Weiner, Horner and Modin....er, and especially Magnus friggin Johansson who has no business in the Olympics.

You can't bring someone in during the olympics in case of an injury, right?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
It's not a consideration, he has proved over and over again, that he infact is a - Pejorative Slur.

Yes. He is.

Even listed as one on NHL.COM.

Regardless, it doesn't matter - both he and Franzen can play both sides.

Don't you know better than to go by what a player is listed as, the NHL does a poor job in listing a players position.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, but a team can only have a roster of 20 and Holma would have missed the first two games -- AT LEAST.

With Forsberg and Kronwalls status -- we just could not gamble on that...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It wasn't as bad as when Ulf Samuelsson didn't get to play in the Olympics a while back, but Homer looked really sad. I feel for him, I'd rather have him over Weiner, Horner and Modin....er, and especially Magnus friggin Johansson who has no business in the Olympics.

You can't bring someone in during the olympics in case of an injury, right?

Ulf didn't get to play because he was stupid enough to think that he would get to play for a country for which he didn't carry a valid passport. Holmström doesn't get to play because the coach wanted to sub him out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't know about that, Hornqvist is kinda slow, even if he is better, Samuelsson is still beter than Weinhandl, or Modin.

Samuelsson is a RW though, and Modin a LW...

...and I don't know about Modin vs Samuelsson. If I am building a team from scratch, and when I am picking my first player I can choose between Modin and Samuelsson -- there is no doubt, you pick Samuelsson.

But for this team, I don't know. Modin is really really strong along the boards. He have a lot of experience. He have a lot of experience. For the same role, both are good options. But I am not holding Samuelsson higher then Modin.

And its kind of a mute point anyway with Modin being a LW.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Ulf didn't get to play because he was stupid enough to think that he would get to play for a country for which he didn't carry a valid passport. Holmström doesn't get to play because the coach wanted to sub him out.

With todays rule he wouldve.. It was an honest but oh so bitter mistake... I'm sure he wouldve waited to apply for american citizenship if he knew he wouldnt be able to represent Sweden if he did.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
1: PÃ¥hlsson isn't physical.

2: Murray, Ohlund, Forsberg & Kronwall are all pretty physical and can dish out some pain, Franzen can also run people over.

How can not the most physical forward on the them not be physical? He allways hits.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Samuelsson is a RW though, and Modin a LW...

...and I don't know about Modin vs Samuelsson. If I am building a team from scratch, and when I am picking my first player I can choose between Modin and Samuelsson -- there is no doubt, you pick Samuelsson.

But for this team, I don't know. Modin is really really strong along the boards. He have a lot of experience. He have a lot of experience. For the same role, both are good options. But I am not holding Samuelsson higher then Modin.

And its kind of a mute point anyway with Modin being a LW.

Yeah, the position does make it mute maybe, it depends how many and what kind of wingers the team wants to have. At one time Modin was probably better than Samuelsson, but right now I'd say Samuelsson is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad