Sweden has dominated the Norris Trophy

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Indeed they have. It can also be argued that 2 of the best defensemen in the league right now are Swedes.

I don't even know how this could be rationally argued. Hedman and Karlsson ARE two of the best in the league, without zero questions. I have them both in the top 4, or top 5 if I'm being generous to others.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Since year 2000 sweden has 10 wins, canada 7 and other country 1.

We are developing the best D in the world.
And yet some still claim there is anti Swede bias in norris voting.

Perhaps, just maybe, there is anti-train wreck-in-your-own-end bias.

And yes, Sweden is neck and neck as the best defense producing nation at this point I'd say. I can't wait to see dahlin.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Don't worry, we got a few Americans about to take that title for awhile

:sarcasm::sarcasm::popcorn:

I don't know about a few, but Jones is certainly about to make a strong push. I don't see Ghost, Carlson, McAvoy or Werenski getting the Norris anytime soon, even though they are all very good to excellent defensemen in their own right. If Suter wasn't able to win one, I don't expect these guys to either... other than Seth Jones.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
And yet some still claim there is anti Swede bias in norris voting.

Perhaps, just maybe, there is anti-train wreck-in-your-own-end bias.

And yes, Sweden is neck and neck as the best defense producing nation at this point I'd say. I can't wait to see dahlin.
Whoever come up with swede anti bias? Havent seen a swede used that in a post.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
*yawn*

Enough already. They didn't win because they weren't good enough.

I think over the last several years, each race has been close enough that either 1 or 2 had a phenomenal case. Doughty-Hedman, Burns-Karlsson, and Doughty-Karlsson X 2--Even if you think the voters got one wrong, they've 'made up' for it, but in each case they're not 'wrong' enough to cause the kind of outrage they have.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't know about a few, but Jones is certainly about to make a strong push. I don't see Ghost, Carlson, McAvoy or Werenski getting the Norris anytime soon, even though they are all very good to excellent defensemen in their own right. If Suter wasn't able to win one, I don't expect these guys to either... other than Seth Jones.
Jones was a goal or two away from being a finalist this year and Zach had a few votes his rookie season and played pretty much this entire season with what's to believed to be a torn rotator cuff..and still finished the season among most goals by a dman. There's absolutely no reason why when healthy both won't be in the talks for Norris if they both can put up 50+ pts and solid defensive play.

The only thing Jones has over Werenski is experience, Werenski is every bit as skilled as Jones, his body just isn't nearly as conditioned.

Torts has said he can look down at the bench and Jones is always ready no matter what, where as Shaw has said they have to limit Werenskis time even though they trust him in all situations

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
This confuses me, I have been led to believe Norris trophy's are gifted to Canadian's because the voters are biased and xenophobic?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
This logic is flawed. I counted norris trophy wins, not how many different players that have won it. Sweden still stands on 10 wins.

What if Lidstrom was the only Swede to have won the Norris, but he did it 10 times? Where would Sweden stand then? The questions are rhetorical, to point out your logic is flawed.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Since year 2000 sweden has 10 wins, canada 7 and other country 1.

We are developing the best D in the world.

Wouldn't say that is quite domination, 3 different Swedish defencemen have been winners of the Norris since 2000.

You made your thread title to read that they have dominated the Norris Trophy which isn't close to the case.

Norris Wins by country:

Canada - 47
Sweden - 10
USA - 7
Slovakia - 1

Canada has consistently produced the best D in the world since hockey was invented.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yes, Zdeno Chara, proud native of "other country"

Well Lidstrom inspired s generation or 2 of young hockey players.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
The common element is that they can skate like gods. Lidstrom, Karlsson, Hedman. Incredible balance and edgework, all three.

Maybe it’s a matter of just spending a ****load of time on skates as kids.

One of the things that both Hedman and Strålman on the Lightning have said in interviews is that they both learned "power skating" or skilled/balanced skating techniques as part of their regular development as young hockey players. Being able to skate well was emphasized regardless of any player's status as a forward or a defenseman.

Strålman is still a very agile skater even at 31 and Hedman is just plain amazing. Heddy's skating seems completely effortless yet he moves incredibly fast for as big as he is. :eek:

It was sheer joy to watch Hedman and Strålman back in the World Championships in 2017 munch top pairing minutes so effectively for Tre Kronor while flying around the bigger ice with their teammates like it was nothing. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad