Sweden has dominated the Norris Trophy

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Since year 2000 sweden has 10 wins, canada 7 and other country 1.

We are developing the best D in the world.

There's just something about youth hockey development in Sweden that the rest of the hockey world hasn't caught up with. There are so many great young Swedish defensemen out there both in the NHL and in the pipeline. But even in some young Swedish forwards you see higher than average defensive instincts.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
There's just something about youth hockey development in Sweden that the rest of the hockey world hasn't caught up with. There are so many great young Swedish defensemen out there both in the NHL and in the pipeline. But even in some young Swedish forwards you see higher than average defensive instincts.
I wonder if dahlin can carry the torch

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
With a population of just under 10M it is incredible the players they produce. As a die hard Sens fan I am a huge fan of Sweden and Swedish people!!

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I agree that Sweden produces great players, but I wouldn't go as far as the bolded.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I wonder if it's like a Lidstrom Effect.. similar to the Pat Roy effect.

In Quebec, every kid who grew up a Hab wanted to be Pat Roy. Wore Pat Roy underwear, ate Pat Roy Pro-Stars.

Then the following decades, there was Brodeur, Luongo, Fleury, Theodore, Giguere, Thibault, Biron, Lalime, Crawford, CLoutier, Garon, Bernier.. was a LOT of them. Several of them were among the best in the league.

Something about Quebec being a goalie factory.

Fast Forward to Lidstroms career, and BAMO. I'm wondering, are there a crazy swarm of Swedish kids who eat Lidstrom Salmiak, drink Lidstrom Aquavit, and have Lidstrom wallpaper on their bedroom walls?

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I wonder if it's like a Lidstrom Effect.. similar to the Pat Roy effect.

In Quebec, every kid who grew up a Hab wanted to be Pat Roy. Wore Pat Roy underwear, ate Pat Roy Pro-Stars.

Then the following decades, there was Brodeur, Luongo, Fleury, Theodore, Giguere, Thibault, Biron, Lalime, Crawford, CLoutier, Garon, Bernier.. was a LOT of them. Several of them were among the best in the league.

Something about Quebec being a goalie factory.

Fast Forward to Lidstroms career, and BAMO. I'm wondering, are there a crazy swarm of Swedish kids who eat Lidstrom Salmiak, drink Lidstrom Aquavit, and have Lidstrom wallpaper on their bedroom walls?
I dunno. Forsberg was a more popular player than lidstrom in sweden

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree that Sweden produces great players, but I wouldn't go as far as the bolded.
Yeah I suppose maybe that was a bit much but I'd say the mentality and focus on defensive play is more prevalent among incoming Swedish youth than from other nations.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

While Swedish hockey is certainly in a great place right now... 7 of those wins were from 1 player and Karlsson repeated. A more accurate breakdown would be

Sweden: 3 winners
Canada: 4 winners
ROW : 1 winner

If Sweden had 10 wins with 4-6 different players winning it then I'd be inclined to say that Sweden is far-and-away developing the best defensemen. But considering that 70% of those 10 wins came from 1 person, that just means the best d-man in the league for a stretch was Swedish.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
While Swedish hockey is certainly in a great place right now... 7 of those wins were from 1 player and Karlsson repeated. A more accurate breakdown would be

Sweden: 3 winners
Canada: 4 winners
ROW : 1 winner

If Sweden had 10 wins with 4-6 different players winning it then I'd be inclined to say that Sweden is far-and-away developing the best defensemen. But considering that 70% of those 10 wins came from 1 person, that just means the best d-man in the league for a stretch was Swedish.
This logic is flawed. I counted norris trophy wins, not how many different players that have won it. Sweden still stands on 10 wins.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
This logic is flawed. I counted norris trophy wins, not how many different players that have won it. Sweden still stands on 10 wins.
no... YOUR logic is the one that is flawed......... my post perfectly points out why.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

I mean, Lidstrom winning 7 of those 10 kind of helps fluff the numbers a bit but there's no denying that Sweden is producing a lot of top end defensive talent.

Reactions: hilarnat

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not much is going to change unless the writers continue to "gift" the Canadian defensemen Norris'. It was criminal that Doughty won over Karlsson. At the very least, Karlsson should have 3.

With Karlsson and Hedman in their prime, and Dahlin entering the league, the Swedes have a legit chance of winning 6 out of the next 10 Norris trophies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Not much is going to change unless the writers continue to "gift" the Canadian defensemen Norris'. It was criminal that Doughty won over Karlsson. At the very least, Karlsson should have 3.

With Karlsson and Hedman in their prime, and Dahlin entering the league, the Swedes have a legit chance of winning 6 out of the next 10 Norris trophies.
How many of Lidstrom's wins were gifts? Pretty easy to argue that at least 1 or 2 were.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Can I quote this thread when people complain about Canadian bias with respect to the Norris Trophy then? Thanks :thumbu:

And with the d-men even the defensive ones9 have a great offensive IQ which enables their reads and passes at least, i.e. Lindholm. He's no Karlsson or even Hedman offensively, but like Vlasic, he 'gets it' when it comes to doing something offensively with the puck despite being fantastic defensively.

Reactions: HanSolo

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
How many of Lidstrom's wins were gifts? Pretty easy to argue that at least 1 or 2 were.

I think one may have been a "merit" win, but that could be it... and it's even debatable. Lidstrom is one of the Top 4-5 defensemen in the history of a league that is over 100 years old... so it's hard to say he didn't deserve his bling.

Doughty's was a clear gift... as Karlsson was superior (and it was EK's best all-around year to date) but he already had his 2 trophies and Doughty played well enough to justify the biased reached.

Just to show you how biased and silly the voters are, Shaye Gostisbehere actually received Norris contender votes. How's this possible? And I'm a die-hard Flyers fan. When voting for awards, there should be no bias. You're not a "fan" at that point, you're a professional. It's a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad