WJC: Sweden announces WJC roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Seriously, I find my self pissed off even though I could have bet that this was the roster that would be presented.

It's gold or goodbye for MÃ¥rts IMO, going with this team when there are so many better options he better win something. Hope you had fun on your walkabout.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'll be a little suprised if Lehner starts next year. The indication to me would be that Nilsson would start since he and Lehner were both drafted this past year and NIlsson made the team and Lehner did not. That being said who knows what a year from now will bring.

I do expect Lehner on the team next year though...
I don't think Nilsson is eligible next year...

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
I'll be a little suprised if Lehner starts next year. The indication to me would be that Nilsson would start since he and Lehner were both drafted this past year and NIlsson made the team and Lehner did not. That being said who knows what a year from now will bring.

I do expect Lehner on the team next year though...

Nilsson isn't eligible to play next year, he's been great this season and deserves to be on the team.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
About Rödin being over-rated - I don't understand how you can say such a thing. Nobody talks about him, and nobody expects very much of him. He plays like 2 minutes a game, if that... I've never seen him play, don't know very much about him but I do know that you really can't judge a guy who barely plays.

Btw, Anders Nilsson is born 1990, he won't be in WJC next year.

And I'm no Canuck-fan...
<-----------

Princeton

Aug 24, 2009
Sens fans are still wondering why Karlsson was called up though and not kept in the AHL when we have capable defenceman that can play...

1st off: You have capable defencemen. You said it right there. Capable. Not elite.

When Karlsson gets rolling you will wondering how you lived without this guy.

He was Sweden's best player (maybe Markstrom) last year at the WJT. And voted the top defencemen.

He had a bit of a rough start to the season in Ottawa but he played great in Binghamton.

YOU NEED HIM.

Your best offensive d man is Kuba or Campoli ( a throw away by the god damn Islanders!). Also Lee was struggling.

Who wants capable when you could have elite.
Why do you think all of these Swedish fans want the Sens to release him? He instantly becomes their PP QB.

Ottawa fans should be hoping that Ottawa holds on to him like TB is doing with Hedman.

Also I would love to see MPS playing with Kruger and Josephson.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Reasoning why Urbom didn't make it;

- I'm not seeing what I wanted to see, the physical play, the cop, bossing people around, body-language. He's become more of a 'player' (point producer i guess) when playing for the Wheat Kings. Lukas Kilström got the oppurtunity, who's a physical guy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
1st off: You have capable defencemen. You said it right there. Capable. Not elite.

He was Sweden's best player (maybe Markstrom) last year at the WJT. And voted the top defencemen.

He had a bit of a rough start to the season in Ottawa but he played great in Binghamton.

YOU NEED HIM.

Your best offensive d man is Kuba or Campoli ( a throw away by the god damn Islanders!). Also Lee was struggling.

Why do you think all of these Swedish fans want the Sens to release him? He instantly becomes their PP QB.

Ottawa fans should be hoping that Ottawa holds on to him like TB is doing with Hedman.

Dominating against teenagers is not the same as the NHL. He isn't ready for the NHL just yet. He should be back at the WJC's, but Ottawa seems to want to force him into the NHL.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Per MÃ¥rts about Alexander Urbom
РI don't see what I would like to see, the physical game, a kind of police, to be in charge, bodylanguage. He turned into more of a playing(?) guy. That's why I gave Lukas Kilstr̦m the chance, as a physical guy. My heart said Lukas, M̴rts tells SVT.

Jim Morrison beat me to it, balls!

Don't get whats bad in seeing a physical guy turning to producing. That way one knows he can do both. Since when is THAT a bad thing?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Reasoning why Urbom didn't make it;

- I'm not seeing what I wanted to see, the physical play, the cop, bossing people around, body-language. He's become more of a 'player' (point producer i guess) when playing for the Wheat Kings. Lukas Kilström got the oppurtunity, who's a physical guy.

I still don't understand this. When Urbom was in the Devils' training camp in August, he almost made the team (even though he was just drafted this year) because Lemaire was impressed with his defensive positioning and physical play, saying he was close to NHL calibre in that regard. The team sent him to the WHL to work on his offensive game, and he's been producing well after a slow start.

And now the Swedish WJC team doesn't want him because he's not physical enough? I agree with Jason MacIsaac, something is fishy here.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Nilsson isn't eligible to play next year, he's been great this season and deserves to be on the team.

Didn't know that thanks!

I guess he and Lehner must be a couple of months aparts which seperates thier eligibility of playing in the WJC next year...

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
I still don't understand this. When Urbom was in the Devils' training camp in August, he almost made the team (even though he was just drafted this year) because Lemaire was impressed with his defensive positioning and physical play, saying he was close to NHL calibre in that regard. The team sent him to the WHL to work on his offensive game, and he's been producing well after a slow start.

And now the Swedish WJC team doesn't want him because he's not physical enough? I agree with Jason MacIsaac, something is fishy here.

I agree. The fact that _no_ CHL players were selected just adds to this. We'll see next year if Lehner, Landeskog, Wallén etc makes it, which they should.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

YOU NEED HIM.

Sens fans are wewll aware of Karlsson's talent. He simply isn't NHL ready yet that's all....

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Well Urbom seems physical but other than that...For some comparison, well I think Rajala will make team Finland.

Toni Rajala(and he is really getting into for first now)

2009-10 Regular Season Brandon Wheat Kings GP 24 G 12 A 13 PTS 25

Alexander Urbom

2009-10 Regular Season Brandon Wheat Kings GP 26 G 5 A 11 PTS 16

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
God forbid you have "players" on your defense. So he was a physical player and was told to develop his offensive game in the WHL, he changed his role successfully.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Well Urbom seems physical but other than that...For some comparison, well I think Rajala will make team Finland.

Toni Rajala(and he is really getting into for first now)

2009-10 Regular Season Brandon Wheat Kings GP 24 G 12 A 13 PTS 25

Alexander Urbom

2009-10 Regular Season Brandon Wheat Kings GP 26 G 5 A 11 PTS 16

Well yeah? I'd expect Rajala to have more points since he's expected to produce and he's a forward. Urbom on the other hand is (was) a defensive defenseman. Very strange comparison.

Pentothal

Dec 30, 2008
Well yeah? I'd expect Rajala to have more points since he's expected to produce and he's a forward. Urbom on the other hand is (was) a defensive defenseman. Very strange comparison.

Indeed. Those are impressive stats for a d-man.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009

HAHAH, i thought he was a forward, well then never mind, this just shows how little I know about the swedish team xD.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Per MÃ¥rts about Alexander Urbom
– I don't see what I would like to see, the physical game, a kind of police, to be in charge, bodylanguage. He turned into more of a playing(?) guy. That's why I gave Lukas Kilström the chance, as a physical guy. My heart said Lukas, Mårts tells SVT.

Jim Morrison beat me to it, balls!

Don't get whats bad in seeing a physical guy turning to producing. That way one knows he can do both. Since when is THAT a bad thing?

Idk, maybe he feels that he needs that big physical guy to match up with Canada. But from what I've seen of Urbom this season, I disagree with Marts' assessment of him. I think it's a mistake to not bring this guy. He's been bringing it in the physical department.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I don't like the fact that Merts ignored Gustafsson and Urbom. Especially Alexander, he deserves to be on the team. Kilstrom is good, but Urbom can certainly do a better job handling canadian players than Lukas.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Idk, maybe he feels that he needs that big physical guy to match up with Canada. But from what I've seen of Urbom this season, I disagree with Marts' assessment of him. I think it's a mistake to not bring this guy. He's been bringing it in the physical department.

Well, if he wanted this big, tough defenseman, then why didn't he took him? I mean, it's obvious that Erik K, David R, Adam, OEL and Tim E were locks. So basically guys that have beaten urbom fot this spot are Kilstrom(6'0 176), Bertilsson(6'0 190) and Ekholm(6'4 203). As you can see, only Ekholm is big, and Urbom is of course more physical than him.

I actually like selection of Kilstrom, but would have taken Urbom ahead of Ekholm or him.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I don't like the fact that Merts ignored Gustafsson and Urbom. Especially Alexander, he deserves to be on the team. Kilstrom is good, but Urbom can certainly do a better job handling canadian players than Lukas.

Considering he does it on a daily basis playing in the WHL against some of the players who will be on Team Canada, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad