WJC: Sweden announces WJC roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
The link above currently lists the preliminary roster.

Add Jesper Thörnberg
Remove Bjurö, Almqvist, Andersson, Ekman-Larsson, Everberg, Norman, Rensfeldt, Thorell, Wallén and Zibanejad

... and you've got the final roster.

Harks

Oct 27, 2010
Malmö
Is there any chance they will stream SWE - SWISS anywhere? Doesn't seem likely, but would still be nice to watch it.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Becuse he is extremly overrated.

He is not even good enough to get draft.

I don't understand the hype..

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Everything that I read about him just simply stated he is slated to be a first round pick in this year's draft but gives no reasoning why. I couldn't find any solid scouting report on him and his stats in the SEL look pretty crappy. My very first thought when looking for info on him was that he seemed to be pretty overrated and not making the junior team for Sweden just supports that. Every now and than you'll get players like this. Should be interesting to see IF/when he gets drafted in June.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Everything that I read about him just simply stated he is slated to be a first round pick in this year's draft but gives no reasoning why. I couldn't find any solid scouting report on him and his stats in the SEL look pretty crappy. My very first thought when looking for info on him was that he seemed to be pretty overrated and not making the junior team for Sweden just supports that. Every now and than you'll get players like this. Should be interesting to see IF/when he gets drafted in June.

Don't listen to landskronala, according to him all players suck. Rask will at worst get drafted early 2nd.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Okay fair enough, thanks for clarifying. Can you explain the lack of scouting reports on him, the weak stats and not making Team Sweden?

Only 6 draft eligible players made the team, so him not making was hardly a surprise.
His stats or are not horrible, they are actually better than for example Patrik Berglund and Mikael Backlund had in the same league, both former 1st rounders.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Only 6 draft eligible players made the team, so him not making was hardly a surprise.
His stats or are not horrible, they are actually better than for example Patrik Berglund and Mikael Backlund had in the same league, both former 1st rounders.

Ah okay nevermind, I got mixed up. For some reason hockeydb doesn't show his full stats from last season and doesn't have any stats on him for this season at all. Hockeydb shows 0 pts in 8 games for Leksand IF but eliteprospects.com shows 41 pts in 39 games for Leksand J20 (what does this mean) but only 8 pts in 27 games for Leksand this season but 5 pts in 2 games for Leksand J20.

Wow, Swedish hockey is so damn confusing. Why so many teams? Makes it very difficult to go through stats.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Hockeydb shows 0 pts in 8 games for Leksand IF but eliteprospects.com shows 41 pts in 39 games for Leksand J20 (what does this mean) but only 8 pts in 27 games for Leksand this season but 5 pts in 2 games for Leksand J20.
Well, that's their top junior team. SuperElit is the top U20 league.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Well, that's their top junior team. SuperElit is the top U20 league.

Ah I see. Well maybe it's only in the case of Rask but I have never seen such up and down stats from a young prospect before. Hard to tell where this kid should go but it seems like second round would be accurate. And I'm sure next year he'll have gained more confidence and should be able to crack Team Sweden in next year's tourny, much like Nugent-Hopkins for Canada.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Ah okay nevermind, I got mixed up. For some reason hockeydb doesn't show his full stats from last season and doesn't have any stats on him for this season at all. Hockeydb shows 0 pts in 8 games for Leksand IF but eliteprospects.com shows 41 pts in 39 games for Leksand J20 (what does this mean) but only 8 pts in 27 games for Leksand this season but 5 pts in 2 games for Leksand J20.

Wow, Swedish hockey is so damn confusing. Why so many teams? Makes it very difficult to go through stats.

He is not playing in the SEL he is playing in the Allsvenskan for Leksand which is a league below the SEL but still a very strong league overall and it is a mens league. The fact that it is a mens league and he is only 17 probably explains the stats but I still expected more out of him as top prospects like Berglund and Ekman-Larsson established themselves well in this league in their draft years. However it is difficult to produce in a mens league at times and Backlund didn't put up the greatest stats either and he's adjusting pretty well in the NHL. It's hard to say what to think about Rask but I think production can come down to ice-time or the strength of the club because otherwise we'd be calling Tim Heed the 2nd coming of Lidstrom. As for Rask he became highly touted as a possible top5 pick due to his performance last year as a 16 year old in the j20 Superelit and internationally as an underager on the u-18's. So I think the world u-18 championship in April should be a good gauge of where he's at and where he'll get picked.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Viktor Rasks stats in Allsvenskan is actually pretty solid. He is ranked seventh on the alltime list for 17-year olds playing in SEL-2, with half the season left to play. His eight poins doesn´t sound impressive at all, but you got to consider that firstrounders like Berglund and Backlund only had 6 points in this league as 17-year olds. Rask actually holds the record for most points scored by a 16-year old ever in Superelit. I really excpected more from this kid though and was a bit dissapointed when i watched his first couple of games for Leksand. But he have actually looked better and better over the season. His skating could be better, but he works hard, have a good shot and I have seen him do some spectacular stuff. If he starts to produce a bit more and have a good u18 wjc he will end up as a firstrounder. wing5 is wrong about Berglund producing well as a 17-year old in SEL-2, but Berglund had a amazing breakout season the year after he was drafted putting up 48 points, he is right about Oel though.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Viktor Rasks stats in Allsvenskan is actually pretty solid. He is ranked seventh on the alltime list for 17-year olds playing in SEL-2, with half the season left to play. His eight poins doesn´t sound impressive at all, but you got to consider that firstrounders like Berglund and Backlund only had 6 points in this league as 17-year olds. Rask actually holds the record for most points scored by a 16-year old ever in Superelit. I really excpected more from this kid though and was a bit dissapointed when i watched his first couple of games for Leksand. But he have actually looked better and better over the season. His skating could be better, but he works hard, have a good shot and I have seen him do some spectacular stuff. If he starts to produce a bit more and have a good u18 wjc he will end up as a firstrounder. wing5 is wrong about Berglund producing well as a 17-year old in SEL-2, but Berglund had a amazing breakout season the year after he was drafted putting up 48 points, he is right about Oel though.

My bad about Berglund it was there year after he broke out. Rask is still young so it will be interesting to see if he can break out next year too or find an SEL team if Leksand is unable to get promoted once again. ;)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Some interesting responses when Erixon, Lander, Klingberg and Lehner participated in a chat on Aftonbladet.

1: Which player in the SEL is the hardest to play against?

They all answered... Magnus Johansson.

2: Which players on the team are singles?

Lehner is a "monster singel" and is looking for a chick!
:laugh:

3: Which is the best player in the world?

Zetterberg

4: Which is the best player you've ever played against?

Forsberg.

5: Lehner, do you think you should've gotten a bigger chance in Frölunda?

Yes

6: Lehner, how does it feel yo have your first shootout in the WJC?

Should've scored too
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: