Sweden always lose the final

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I gotta rant here. Sweden is f***ing terrible at playing finals. For example we have been to 14 wjc finals and only won two, thats f***ing horrible but wait it gets worse. We have never won a u18 wjc final despite beeing there 6 times!!

Same at u18 hlinka tournament. 4 finals and only 1 win.

I am so mad right now, something is not right with swedish coaching. We are mentally weak and the coach is reponsible for this.

End of rant

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I gotta rant here. Sweden is ****ing terrible at playing finals. For example we have been to 14 wjc finals and only won two, thats ****ing horrible but wait it gets worse. We have never won a u18 wjc final despite beeing there 6 times!!

Same at u18 hlinka tournament. 4 finals and only 1 win.

I am so mad right now, something is not right with swedish coaching. We are mentally weak and the coach is reponsible for this.

End of rant

How many of those times were they the better team?

For example last night I would say making it the final was a pretty good accomplishment and losing to a much better Canadian team shouldn't be anything to look down on. I know finishing 2nd sucks because you lose that last game but that record of making the finals is pretty impressive and likely only behind Canada and maybe Russia.

If that was the US we would have American posters claiming how it proves that they are going to take over hockey dominance forever!

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Sweden is arguably 2nd best hockey nation atm. I find it hilarious how some Russian posters commented about that semifinal Hlinka tournament that Sweden usually only turtles againts them at all levels.. At u 20 level and adult level these days when both have good roster relatively to depth available Sweden is usually team that carries play long cycles in Russian end. Russia is more counter attacking team that waits at trap for 2-1 attacks breakaways and powerplays. Sweden forechecks agressively cycles and controls game theyr defenseman are active on attack and so on. Russia plays underdog style hockey often againts top 4 opponents they often focuse to tight defense and effectice counter attacks with theyr skilled forwards. At junior level Swe usually has more depth than Rus last 10 years. Also at mens level these days Swe has like 80 NHL players these days Russia 30 Ahl like other 80 Russians almost none. Then KHL ofc theres couple teams like Ska and Cska which are better than SHL teams, but overall SHL and KHL are about same quality then theres Swedes at NLA also. Swedish 2nd league is also very good and 3rd level and so on.. Some people seem to think that because Sweden has 10 million people and Russia 150 it must automatically mean that Russia has more hockey depth. I dont think so if you take 200 best players or 500 from both countries i dont think Russia has any edge in skill/talent over Sweden. Russia's hockeys scale measure is a bit overrated how big it is how many good players as its tought that its close to Canada theres some flashy forward names but in bigger picture Russian hockey is more in some where between Fin/Cze- Swe scale not Canada. Usa also its not as great in depth as many think, but likely better than anyone in Europe. Still Canada is only country that is superior clearly in depth compared to Sweden.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yet you still win at men´s level almost every time you make it to the final game.

Yeah, two consecutive golds at men's Worlds tell a different story. Of course it helps that these days they can get a whole team of their best NHL players, while others not so much (with perhaps Canada being the exception).

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah, two consecutive golds at men's Worlds tell a different story. Of course it helps that these days they can get a whole team of their best NHL players, while others not so much (with perhaps Canada being the exception).
Nobody on hf cares about Worlds. Hell even i hlinka has more status.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Issue is the amount of experience playing in tournament finals and league playoffs at the feeder levels up to U18, U20. In Canada you play the regular phase to make the playoffs or elimination rounds so the players at the World level have more experience handling the demands.

As players progress to the adult level this advantage slowly disappears.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If this is connected to the Hlinka that's kind of foolish. That tournament is pretty irrelevant. I will say about Sweden that their level of play is pretty much always the same, meaning that I find that the team plays the same in the preliminary round and the elimination games, and even when trailing in a game. I find that Canada and Russia are more dangerous in the elimination games than they are in the preliminary games because they raise their level of play.

member 305909

Football must be by miles the most popular spectator-sport in Sweden but is hockey the supreme second or is there something like handball or something else competing for that spot?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Yeah the results could be better, but hey, its just jr hockey. Its tough for the kids to focus and not get nervous.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Football must be by miles the most popular spectator-sport in Sweden but is hockey the supreme second or is there something like handball or something else competing for that spot?

In terms of viewing/spectators hockey is second. When comes to active athletes I assume "floorball" (a game played mainly in Sweden and Finland, probably with its slight recemblance to hockey) is second.

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
Do they lose to the Russians, Americans, and Finns frequently in finals? Or is it mostly weighted down because of Canada? I am sincerely asking. You could just as easily say it's because Sweden has actually separated itself from those other countries as the clear 2nd best country in hockey after Canada. Which leads to them being ranked high, winning their group, and typically not meeting Canada until the semis, but more likely the finals. They make a ton of finals because they're 2nd best, and tend to lose them because they're 2nd best.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Do they lose to the Russians, Americans, and Finns frequently in finals? Or is it mostly weighted down because of Canada? I am sincerely asking. You could just as easily say it's because Sweden has actually separated itself from those other countries as the clear 2nd best country in hockey after Canada. Which leads to them being ranked high, winning their group, and typically not meeting Canada until the semis, but more likely the finals. They make a ton of finals because they're 2nd best, and tend to lose them because they're 2nd best.

Lol, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad