WJC: Sweden 2019 Roster Talk

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Westerlund injured. The right side takes a serious potential hit. For those that don't know the player, he's a 2017 drafted 2nd rounder and a major stabilizing presence on the ice.

It's a dislocated shoulder I am told, he's likely out 8-12 weeks. The upper range of that would have him back in time for one week of SHL games and then off to the WJC...will it be enough?

Silver lining is that he can skate during recovery with that injury, and that he managed to play in quite a few games in this young season so far. He played in all 5 of the U20 NT summer showcase games, plus 3 champions league games with his SHL team, and 2 SHL games before this injury.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Sandin played his first pre-season (NHL) game last night and looked very good. Super impressed.

He was paired with Liljegren and they had some chemistry.
Would be so cool to see them paired at the WJC

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Westerlund injured. The right side takes a serious potential hit. For those that don't know the player, he's a 2017 drafted 2nd rounder and a major stabilizing presence on the ice.

It's a dislocated shoulder I am told, he's likely out 8-12 weeks. The upper range of that would have him back in time for one week of SHL games and then off to the WJC...will it be enough?

Silver lining is that he can skate during recovery with that injury, and that he managed to play in quite a few games in this young season so far. He played in all 5 of the U20 NT summer showcase games, plus 3 champions league games with his SHL team, and 2 SHL games before this injury.

Westerlund is a decent player, last cut last year if I remember correctly. Problem is he was able to take a regular spot on Frölunda as a 17 year old but failed to do it last year and this year. He hasn't really improved much the last couple of years while other guys have taken big steps.

We also don't lack right handed D's this year, Simon Johansson, Liljegren, Boqvist and Lundkvist are all clearly ahead of him IMO. A couple more RHD's are also very much in the mix so Westerlund will be up against some really good competition for a spot.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Westerlund is a decent player, last cut last year if I remember correctly. Problem is he was able to take a regular spot on Frölunda as a 17 year old but failed to do it last year and this year. He hasn't really improved much the last couple of years while other guys have taken big steps.

We also don't lack right handed D's this year, Simon Johansson, Liljegren, Boqvist and Lundkvist are all clearly ahead of him IMO. A couple more RHD's are also very much in the mix so Westerlund will be up against some really good competition for a spot.

He was better defensively than Simon Johansson from everything I've ever seen or read. As far as RD's go, he was only behind Liljegren and perhaps Boqvist for this WJC, IMO. As it stands though there's a chance he's not ready to make it back to full form in time and therefore might have some trouble cracking this roster against some good competition at RD.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Liljegren.

Sandin seems like more of a 7th D on this squad, have a hard time seeing him in the top 4 bar some massive improvements this season.
I don't know. Sandin has looked better then Liljegren by a decent enough margin in training camp so far. Not to say you are wrong about him being the 7th D but that might not be the best decision.

Reactions: teddygmr

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He was better defensively than Simon Johansson from everything I've ever seen or read. As far as RD's go, he was only behind Liljegren and perhaps Boqvist for this WJC, IMO. As it stands though there's a chance he's not ready to make it back to full form in time and therefore might have some trouble cracking this roster against some good competition at RD.

Not only do I think Johansson is going to make the team but I also think he's going to be the guy getting the most ice time if Brännström doesn't go. It's pretty clear to me after watching NT games and listening to interviews that Montén absolutely loves that guy.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Not only do I think Johansson is going to make the team but I also think he's going to be the guy getting the most ice time if Brännström doesn't go. It's pretty clear to me after watching NT games and listening to interviews that Montén absolutely loves that guy.

Monten loving the player is a separate issue. We've discussed his bizarre lineup decisions on here before.

Johansson went undrafted because he was a liability in his own zone during his draft year. He has improved in that regard, enough to win top Dman at the four nations this summer (mostly on the back of his offensive production), but still has a ways to go in the defensive department. Monten loves his big shot from the point and his OK playmaking, but these attributes aside Johansson is still very much a "project" type of prospect IMO.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hållander - Olofsson - Elvenes
Bemström - Lundeström - Södergran
Lycksell - Gustafsson - Albin Eriksson
Sylvegård - Miketinac - Zetterlund
Berggren or Holtz

Brännström - Liljegren
Filip Johansson - Boqvist
Sandin - Lundqvist
Ragnarsson

I leave goalies for you guys to decide...

Bemström has 3 goals in 3 games in SHL. Lycksell 3 assists in 3 SHL games.

Albin Eriksson, 2 points in 3 SHL games.

Miketinac with 2 goals in 1 game. He is a darkhorse, he was good in Allsvenskan last season.

Maybe Wernblom should have a spot, really good start from him. He would cause havoc on the small ice with his physicality and strenght.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
Berggren or Holtz

Brännström - Liljegren
Sandin - Lundqvist
Ragnarsson

Miketinac with 2 goals in 1 game. He is a darkhorse, he was good in Allsvenskan last season.

Maybe Wernblom should have a spot, really good start from him. He would cause havoc on the small ice with his physicality and strenght.

You don’t see Adam Ginning making the team?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Berggren or Holtz

Brännström - Liljegren
Sandin - Lundqvist
Ragnarsson

I'm surprised Berggren is listed as an extra. Would have thought he'd be a shoe-in.

Any chance for Raymond?

Reactions: teddygmr

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Raymond should make the team.

I don't see Ragnarsson making it. I think Simon Johansson will be on the team, so give him Ragnarsson's spot. Ginning is probably competing for a spot with Lundkvist, Filip Johansson and Sandin. One of the four probably won't make it, unless either Brannstrom or Liljegren make the NHL.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Raymond should make the team.

I don't see Ragnarsson making it. I think Simon Johansson will be on the team, so give him Ragnarsson's spot. Ginning is probably competing for a spot with Lundkvist, Filip Johansson and Sandin. One of the four probably won't make it, unless either Brannstrom or Liljegren make the NHL.
Boqvist might make the NHL also, so who knows what could happen. Brännström will most likely be sent down to the A when Schmidt comes back(or after he's played 9 games) if he makes it, though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Berggren or Holtz

Brännström - Liljegren
Sandin - Lundqvist
Ragnarsson

Good roster and creative lineup! My lines would be:

Sylvegård-Lundeström-Elvenes
Berggren-Olofsson-Zetterlund
Hållander-Gustafsson-Bemström
Leufvenius-Hugg-Södergran
Albin Eriksson

Brännström - Liljegren
Walfridsson - Boqvist
Lundkvist - Westerlund
Sandin

Olle Eriksson Ek
Jesper Eliasson

I expect my lines to change a bit based on the next 3 months of hockey leading up to the WJC.

Zetterlund though a proven WJC veteran will have to pick up his play to remain in the top 6 as Bemström and (especially) Södergran are playing very good hockey to start their SHL seasons. I hope one of the three can elevate their game and take that next step this season, would be huge for Sweden's medal chances. Ragnarsson (one of my favourites) is unfortunately on the outside looking in now after a disappointing summer tournament and an injury to start the season. He would need a spectacular October/November to make the team. Westerlund may be back a couple weeks earlier than expected, though his injury set his chances back somewhat he may be rounding into top form come December after all.

These are the lines as I would ice them, that said I feel Monten might bring the previously undrafted S. Johansson in, which will knock one of the D not in that top pairing off the roster. I also feel that both of the OHL guys, Leufvenius and Hugg, impressed Monten in the summer U20 games (on big ice), and playing in the OHL on small North American ice gives them an advantage for the WJC in Vancouver. Don't see a talented 16 year old like Raymond making the cut as Monten will select 4 complete lines of good to very good 19 year olds up front that are currently stronger, better players in 2018.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Brannstrom cut. Only Liljegren left in the NHL now, if/when he becomes available for the WJC, the defence will be complete.

He'll definitely be cut. He's just being kept around because the Leafs have a back to back to end the preseason and need a 2nd team to play.

Should be a nice top pair with him and Brannstrom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad