WJC: Sweden 2019 Roster Talk

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011

They usually let the underage guys focus on the Hlinka so this is basically the best U20, non U18 guys.

Surprised to see Lindbom left out. Maybe they just want to see the other guys first. Seems like a shoe-in for 3rd goalie unless they take Wallstedt already.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah Holtz would be the closest cage player to make this team but I think his chances are pretty slim. We could definitely use a natural goal scorer on this roster though.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Team Sweden U20 camp roster:

http://www.swehockey.se/globalasset...-july-august-2019/roster_swe_jul-aug_2018.pdf

G Adam Åhman -99
G Samuel Ersson -99
G Olle Eriksson Ek -99

D Adam Ginning -00
D Adam Boqvist -00
D Tom Hedberg -99
D Sebastian Walfridsson -99
D Simon Johansson -99
D Nils Lundqvist -00
D Rasmus Sandin -00
D Filip Westerlund -99

F Emil Bemström -99
F Jonatan Berggren -00
F Oscar Bäck- 00
F Jacob Olofsson -00
F Lucas Elvenes -99
F Olle Lycksell -99
F Isac Lundeström -99
F Erik Aterius -99
F Filip Hållander -00
F Linus Karlsson -99
F Rickard Hugg -99
F David Gustafsson -00
F Fabian Zetterlund -99
F Marcus Sylvegård -99

Surprised that Ragnarsson wasn't invited. Can never have too many 19 year olds who play against men on the blue line.

Interesting that the locks (Liljegren, Brannstrom) have been left out as well.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Surprised that Ragnarsson wasn't invited. Can never have too many 19 year olds who play against men on the blue line.

Interesting that the locks (Liljegren, Brannstrom) have been left out as well.

Ragnarsson out very surprising. Especially since some of the other guys they selected are puck-movers/offensive guys and Ragnarsson is more solid defensively, something they usually value to bring when the top guys are guys like Liljegren, Brännström, probably Boqvist.

The last part is probably because they will play in North America for sure and are locks. Sandin and Hugg might play in North America too but are not locks.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Jacob Ragnarsson should be there. An early 3rd round pick, plays against men in Allsvenskan, and will be 19 when the WJC rolls around.

So Minnesota’s first round pick Filip Johansson can’t crack a roster that’s missing Brannstrom/Liljegren? A roster that features several other 2018 2nd-5th round pick defencemen?

Talk about a reach by Minnesota.

Johansson is on par with most of those D-men, can't bring 15 guys. He will get an opportunity later on.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Sandin - Liljegren, make it happen :sarcasm:

You know, it might not be all that far fetched for them to get a tonne of experience together.

Since Sandin is a loan to SSM he is eligible for the AHL next year, if he does really well in the Leafs development camp, I wouldn't be opposed to having a Sandin-Liljegren pairing in the AHL for the whole season next year. Might set it up beautifully for the WJC.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
What are the chances Sandin makes the team this year?

He is on the bubble, in competition with a couple other players. With a good start to the season, he should make the team.

You know, it might not be all that far fetched for them to get a tonne of experience together.

Since Sandin is a loan to SSM he is eligible for the AHL next year, if he does really well in the Leafs development camp, I wouldn't be opposed to having a Sandin-Liljegren pairing in the AHL for the whole season next year. Might set it up beautifully for the WJC.

Sandin needs to learn how to avoid checks before thinking about the AHL. Lots of work to do this summer.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

Björnfot battle too many skilled smallish 00-defenders this year. Grewe should hav a chance. Holtz?? Goalie Olof Lindbom (00) must be a lock. Possibly even starting goalie. They let the 00's fight first.

00's in 2020 must be a good team.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Outside of the holy 4 we got so many good defenders:

Rasmus Sandin
Tom Hedberg
Jacob Ragnarsson
Filip Johansson
Nils Lundqvist
Adam Ginning
Victor Berglund
Calle Själin
Filip Westerlund

Insane amount of good D-mans.

I feel Boqvist, Sandin, Ginning and Westerlund should make the team along with the guys from this years WJC.
Possible pairs:
Brännström - Liljegren
Sandin - Boqvist
Ginning - Westerlund

Westerlund almost made this years team, I've heard Sandin has amazing hockey-IQ and Ginning is basically there to compensate the lack of size and muscle :nod:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I feel Boqvist, Sandin, Ginning and Westerlund should make the team along with the guys from this years WJC.
Possible pairs:
Brännström - Liljegren
Sandin - Boqvist
Ginning - Westerlund

Westerlund almost made this years team, I've heard Sandin has amazing hockey-IQ and Ginning is basically there to compensate the lack of size and muscle :nod:

That's a great defence. I am excited to see Boqvist this year, I feel like I didn't get a good impression of him last year with all the Dahlin hype.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
That's a great defence. I am excited to see Boqvist this year, I feel like I didn't get a good impression of him last year with all the Dahlin hype.

Well Boqvist wasn't in Buffalo for the WJC this year, so it's understandable you didn't get a good look at him haha :D
He will for sure make the cut next year tho. The swedish defence looks very exciting, the forward line most likely not as much

Reactions: Raymoondo

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Possible forward lines:
Fabian Zetterlund - Isac Lundeström - Lucas Elvenes
Jonatan Berggren - David Gustavsson - Emil Bemström
Marcus Sylvegård - Jacob Olofsson - Filip Hållander
Jesper Emanuelsson - Linus Karlsson - Marcus Karlberg

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Well Boqvist wasn't in Buffalo for the WJC this year, so it's understandable you didn't get a good look at him haha :D
He will for sure make the cut next year tho. The swedish defence looks very exciting, the forward line most likely not as much

I guess that's why I don't remember anything about him lol

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its going to be more of a split this year, but I wonder if 4 RHD is something the coach would consider. Usually, you rarely see a RH shot playing the left side, which is pretty much what you'd need your 7th D to be able to do. But I do remember that with the U18 team, Sweden was playing two righties at the same time with Boqvist and Lundkvist.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
When Filip Engaras committed to UNH this spring I had hoped he might be a consideration for this team, considering he has U17, U18 and U19 experience with Sweden. But it doesn't seem like he is even in the mix? Is that, in fact, the case?

What type of player is UNH getting?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad