WJC: Sweden 2019 Roster Talk

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
When Filip Engaras committed to UNH this spring I had hoped he might be a consideration for this team, considering he has U17, U18 and U19 experience with Sweden. But it doesn't seem like he is even in the mix? Is that, in fact, the case?

What type of player is UNH getting?

How can he play NCAA after playing SHL games?

Reactions: NewHampshire

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden

A similar case with Melvin Karlsson who's played more games and even scored a goal at SHL level. The speculation was that he would be suspended for the amount of SHL games he played (8 matches played > 8 matches suspended). I guess it would be similar for Filip Engarås.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015

The NCAA has bylaws to protect amateurism for players and prospects playing in certain leagues. Mainly, based around the idea that players can play for outside teams (including certain professional teams) if the only compensation and benefits a player receives are for 'actual and necessary expenses' such as travel, lodging and meals. No payment.

I imagine - but am not certain - that since he only played six games precaution was taken ahead of time to preserve his amateur status and UNH would have some documentation of that fact.

NCAA players who had played MJ used to be able to regain college eligibility by sitting a year plus the number of games they played. But I have not heard of an instance like that in a while. MJ seems to be an immediate NCAA disqualification nowadays. I have not heard of any potential/similar suspension/residence requirement for Engaras and believe UNH feels he will be eligible from day one...

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
The NCAA has bylaws to protect amateurism for players and prospects playing in certain leagues. Mainly, based around the idea that players can play for outside teams (including certain professional teams) if the only compensation and benefits a player receives are for 'actual and necessary expenses' such as travel, lodging and meals. No payment.

I imagine - but am not certain - that since he only played six games precaution was taken ahead of time to preserve his amateur status and UNH would have some documentation of that fact.

NCAA players who had played MJ used to be able to regain college eligibility by sitting a year plus the number of games they played. But I have not heard of an instance like that in a while. MJ seems to be an immediate NCAA disqualification nowadays. I have not heard of any potential/similar suspension/residence requirement for Engaras and believe UNH feels he will be eligible from day one...

Leon Bristedt was suspended for a few NCAA games because a couple of junior aged SHL players joined his J20 team at the end of the season. Incredibly silly. I would count on Engarås being suspended at the very least.

Either way, him making the Swedish WJC team would be a real long shot.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Anyone have insight why Albin Eriksson was left off U18 team and now U20 camp?

I'd say it has a lot to do with the U18 coach. That age group won the WU17's and he made very little changes to the team after that, leaving out some really good players like Eriksson. Him not getting invited to the U20 camp is mostly due to his lack of international experience but he also hasn't played much SHL/Allsvenskan hockey like most players on that team. He's also an underaged player still.

Is Linus Karlsson a good bet to make the team in December or would he be considered more of a bubble player?

Everyone invited to this camp is clearly on the radar, this would likely the team if the WJC was played this summer although some guys are missing. I think Karlsson is more of a bubble player.

Last edited:

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Anyone have a list of the players Sweden will send to tryout in Kamloops( my mid-summer hockey fix) later this month?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Has Bemstrom played at left wing at all? EP has him listed as a C/RW, but if he could play the left side well he might win a top 6 spot at the WJC. Don’t think he gets there at RW ahead of Elvenes and Zetterlund otherwise.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
lines in practice apparently:

Lycksell-Lundeström-Bemström
Zetterlund-Olofsson-Elvenes

dont know the rest

Thanks for the update! Twitter is saying something a bit different about Zetterlund:

SWE coach Tomas Monten on @NJDevils prspct Fabian Zetterlund: "I definitely see him on right wing. He played center before, but using his speed and I think he provides a better offensive game playing on the wing. He did it last year and I think he'll do it this year."

If your lines are correct though, then what I find strange so far is:
1. The best Center (Lundeström) is not playing with the best winger (Elvenes).
2. The two best Right wingers are on the same line (and playing with the second line Center).

None of these questionable moves are surprising though, given Monten is the coach.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Thanks for the update! Twitter is saying something a bit different about Zetterlund:

If your lines are correct though, then what I find strange so far is:
1. The best Center (Lundeström) is not playing with the best winger (Elvenes).
2. The two best Right wingers are on the same line (and playing with the second line Center).

None of these questionable moves are surprising though, given Monten is the coach.
Who is to say lundestrom is the top center?

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
From what I'm hearing: Boqvist moved over to left side, in favor of Westerlund. Elvenes moved over to left side and playing on 2nd line (despite this, has 1 assist so far tonight). Sylvegard moved over to right side. Berggren officially the 13th forward.

All of these are, in my opinion, questionable moves.

I'm not the coach who has been with this team the last 4 or 5 days. It could be Olofsson who had some nice stats as a 17 year old in the Allsvenskan.

With respect to Olofsson, Lundeström just had the better season, was drafted about 35 spots higher than Olofsson one month ago, and played much better with the Swedish U20 team this past season (the only current U20 Center to make last year's WJC team). He is the clearcut best Center on Team Sweden, and a couple of midsummer games that are just starting up today likely don't change that.

That said, the "top" or first line C will be the one the coach designates in December. Whether or not that's the right one, time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad