Sven "Is Bae" Baertschi, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
I'm waiting for one day that all Canucks fans can take off their stupid colour glasses and all get behind our Bae

tumblr_nn5ds2Fp9q1r1141eo1_1280.jpg

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I'm sorry, I don't care what the underlying numbers are. He was absolute garbage to start the year. Constantly on the perimeter, playing with no confidence, never getting in shooting positions, bailing on plays where it looked like he would be hit. Would go games on end without a scoring chance.

Since late December, he's been a completely different player. And it isn't just that he's getting more minutes. He's playing with swagger and confidence and going to the hard areas of the ice to make plays.

I don't think much of this coaching staff but they've done well with this player this year.

Impressive comments. Thanks for this. Gives me a little faith that people are willing to occasionally look past their initial perspective on here.

He looks like a player... and we can only hope he continues to develop. I am hoping he gets some decent line mates at some point who can push the game a bit, but I also like how he is being brought along, under these horrible circumstances.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I'm sorry, I don't care what the underlying numbers are. He was absolute garbage to start the year. Constantly on the perimeter, playing with no confidence, never getting in shooting positions, bailing on plays where it looked like he would be hit. Would go games on end without a scoring chance.

Since late December, he's been a completely different player. And it isn't just that he's getting more minutes. He's playing with swagger and confidence and going to the hard areas of the ice to make plays.

I don't think much of this coaching staff but they've done well with this player this year.

yeah dude, i think you've got the case of the edlers here, because i said it then and i'll say it now: he wasnt that bad

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
ive said it plenty of times, but baer really hasnt changed nearly as much as people think. that he's a contributing nhl forward was predictable imo

LOL WTF... he has now begun to control plays and drives to the net at every opportunity and actually helping other players play better.

He was not doing any of that at the beginning of the year.

yeah dude, i think you've got the case of the edlers here, because i said it then and i'll say it now: he wasnt that bad

He wasn't that bad DEFENSIVELY... but offensively he has changed his game a good amount. He was not driving to the net or always there looking for rebounds etc... he was playing on the perimeter far more often.

He actually looks dangerous now and looks to make something happen every time he has the puck and he almost always ends up within a few feet of the net during each offensive opportunity. This was not the same Sven as at the beginning of the season.

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Bae at the beginning of the year was decent. Nothing special. Bae NOW on the other hand, he's been a whole new player who's driving the play and creating countless scoring opportunities. I love it.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
LOL WTF... he has now begun to control plays and drives to the net at every opportunity and actually helping other players play better.

He was not doing any of that at the beginning of the year.

I think both opinions are correct

Bae is now and was before a forward that made a positive impact on the ice on a consistent basis.

The difference is that Bae was more of a complimentary player, he was trying to play a style that required another forward to take the lead. Which isn't always a bad thing, you can't have a kitchen full of chefs. But his line mates and opportunities were never there to allow him to shine in this role.

Now, he's the driving offensive force on his lines. And it's much more visible to those watching. Where as before he was a good positive player who played a subtle game to feed off others, he's now a good positive player who has a more flashy and upfront game that leads others.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

Bae is now and was before a forward that made a positive impact on the ice on a consistent basis.

The difference is that Bae was more of a complimentary player, he was trying to play a style that required another forward to take the lead. Which isn't always a bad thing, you can't have a kitchen full of chefs. But his line mates and opportunities were never there to allow him to shine in this role.

Now, he's the driving offensive force on his lines. And it's much more visible to those watching. Where as before he was a good positive player who played a subtle game to feed off others, he's now a good positive player who has a more flashy and upfront game that leads others.
Agreed with this, but I think a lot of the reason he was more tentative before was because Willie had him on such a short leash and was limiting his opportunities to do more. When you know you'll see the bench for anything but a simple north/south play, and you're a creative player, it's going to screw up your game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the disconnect here is that there were three stages to Baertschi's transformation and not two.

Early in the year, he WAS awful. A complete perimeter player who was easily pushed around, afraid of the corners/net, and unable to do anything on the ice except once in a blue moon show off his ability to handle the puck in a non-threatening part of the ice.

In the middle of the year, his possession became very good, and he began battling and rallying for the puck. His puck skills shined, but he was still unable to produce. If you want to argue that this version of Baertschi is the same person as this current one, that's fair.

Recently, I think he's turned into a legitimate home run, personally. I'm actually expecting bigger things from him as a future core player than I am from Virtanen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He was absolutely that bad for the first two months of the season. Did literally nothing except float around on the perimeter. Wasn't playing with any confidence, wasn't getting any shots or chances from the middle of the ice, looked like total waiver bait.

It blows my mind that anyone could think he didn't look like a completely different player from the first 2 months of the season to the last 2 months.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

This is my take as well. Also Jyrki21's post about being on a short leash.

Kudos to Benning for the trade. Kudos to Green for reclaiming Baertschi. Kudos to WD for . . . absolutely nothing? That WD utlilzes Dorsett the way he does, and then comments that he wasn't sure Baertschi might be a fit just make me shake my head.

Anyway, most of all kudos to Baertschi himself for taking it to the next level. There was a good discussion about it yesterday early evening on 1040.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
He's starting to look like a younger Giroux out there. Obviously a long way to go, but the talent is undeniable and now he's starting to drive his line instead of being a passenger.

Giroux's first three years in the league he scored 27, 47 and 73 points (of course, he was the same age Baertschi is now when he scored 73)

Last edited:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
He's starting to look like a younger Giroux out there. Obviously a long way to go, but the talent is undeniable and now he's starting to drive his line instead of being a passenger.

Giroux's first three years in the league he scored 27, 47 and 73 points in the league (of course, he was the same age Baertschi is now when he scored 73)

I think he got 93 points at the same age as Baertschi, with the previous season (age 22) being 76. But if we're talking draft + 5 year then yeah, it was the 76 point season.

(AHL & junior cut-off dates being different than draft cut-off makes things really stupid.)

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, Baertschi is looking pretty good lately, but the fact that he'll be 24 at the start of next season really puts a limit on his realistic ceiling.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

Giroux's first three years in the league he scored 27, 47 and 73 points (of course, he was the same age Baertschi is now when he scored 73)
You will now get accused of "comparing Bärtschi to Giroux" because, say it with me, HF doesn't understand comparisons.™

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
You will now get accused of "comparing Bärtschi to Giroux" because, say it with me, HF doesn't understand comparisons.™

Ehh, if people want to go there then let them.

Realistically speaking their styles are similar, but Baertschi will probably never sniff 90 points (or even 70.) Just isn't quite as talented or gritty as Giroux.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ehh, if people want to go there then let them.

Realistically speaking their styles are similar, but Baertschi will probably never sniff 90 points (or even 70.) Just isn't quite as talented or gritty as Giroux.

Think Hudler could be a useful benchmark in terms of career path and production. Another smaller, skilled player who took some time to figure out his NHL game and flirts with big numbers in some years and more modest in others.

*And by benchmark I mean "realistic best case scenario", not guaranteed outcome. Should have to clarify such an obvious thing but around here ...

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Think Hudler could be a useful benchmark in terms of career path and production. Another smaller, skilled player who took some time to figure out his NHL game and flirts with big numbers in some years and more modest in others.

That's a decent comparable, but I'd say Hudler had much better and more consistent progression than Baertschi has shown. At 19 he was a near point per game AHLer, at 20 he was probably the best young offensive player in the AHL with 96 points, at 21 he was a 25-30 point NHLer, at 22 he put up 42 points, and by 23 he managed 57 points which has been the norm for his career save for his one anomaly year in 14-15.

Baertschi on the other hand hasn't really seen a jump in his production at the AHL or NHL level since he was 20, so it's harder to project a big improvement. Luckily development isn't necessarily linear, so hopefully he can maintain his recent improvement over the long haul. But there are still some pretty big question marks about whether or not he can become a 50+ point player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Been by far the most dangerous forward in the last two months....have to say, that of all the questionable deals Jimbo has pulled off, this one looks like it'll pay off in spades...interesting that over on the Calgary board they're saying they need more scoring on the wing....had a scoring winger in Bae, but ended up with Shinkaruk instead.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
dude was kinda made moves like Pavel Datsyuk. What's funny tonights game he looked more "Dangerous" then Yakupov and Ryan Nugent Hopkins. Waaay more Dangerous. Getting way better as the season is going on. Ironically, Calgary can probably use a guy like that, but he's our now. Glad to have him on our team. Looking more and more confident with the puck. Love how coward like Nurse was to take on a 5'11 European winger, loved how he actually stood up for himself too. Love this kid.

whats more ironic is that, Horvat and Baeirtchi is looking much better then Hopkins and Yakupov right now.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
dude was kinda made moves like Pavel Datsyuk. What's funny tonights game he looked more "Dangerous" then Yakupov and Ryan Nugent Hopkins. Waaay more Dangerous. Getting way better as the season is going on. Ironically, Calgary can probably use a guy like that, but he's our now. Glad to have him on our team. Looking more and more confident with the puck. Love how coward like Nurse was to take on a 5'11 European winger, loved how he actually stood up for himself too. Love this kid.

whats more ironic is that, Horvat and Baeirtchi is looking much better then Hopkins and Yakupov right now.

Imagine if you had said this in 2013 :laugh:

Horvat + Baertschi > RNH + Yakapov

You'd get crucified.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sven reaching his potential with the Canucks will go a long way to helping this team rebuild. I hope he can keep up his play.

I think Willie's positive role in Baertschi's emergence should not be dismissed. Even though Willie might have had Baertschi on a short leash, at least he didn't play him with pluggers. He was basically tied to Horvat's hip, so Baertschi at least didn't feel like he was expected to produce playing with Cracknell.

Let's not forget the benchings and the talks Benning has had with Baertchi's agent. Somewhere along the line it probably dawned on Baertschi that his NHL dream was fading fast if he continued to play on the perimeter. Baertschi is likely doing exactly what Willie and Benning have been telling Baertschi to do and what he is capable of.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Sven reaching his potential with the Canucks will go a long way to helping this team rebuild. I hope he can keep up his play.

I think Willie's positive role in Baertschi's emergence should not be dismissed. Even though Willie might have had Baertschi on a short leash, at least he didn't play him with pluggers. He was basically tied to Horvat's hip, so Baertschi at least didn't feel like he was expected to produce playing with Cracknell.

Let's not forget the benchings and the talks Benning has had with Baertchi's agent. Somewhere along the line it probably dawned on Baertschi that his NHL dream was fading fast if he continued to play on the perimeter. Baertschi is likely doing exactly what Willie and Benning have been telling Baertschi to do and what he is capable of.

considering my position from day one has been "baer is playing well enough to be perceived as a good forward once things start to click" im gonna say that no, i dont really have to agree with any of this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad