MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Time on Ice Through 9 Games:

Linden Vey: ~14:30 minutes*
Sven Baertschi: ~11 minutes

*Veys first 9 games last season.

To be fair, as little as I think of Vey, at least he played his way into those minutes somewhat with a great preseason in 2014.

Baertschi basically backed his way onto the team after 1 good preseason game. And has continued that level of play in the regular season.

0 goals in 16 games now including preseason. 3 goals in his last 50 NHL games, and 2 of those were in a meaningless game 82 against Edmonton. As much as I agree that some of the benching of the young guys is ridiculous, at some point he actually has to do something to earn icetime.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
To be fair, as little as I think of Vey, at least he played his way into those minutes somewhat with a great preseason in 2014.

Baertschi basically backed his way onto the team after 1 good preseason game. And has continued that level of play in the regular season.

0 goals in 16 games now including preseason. 3 goals in his last 50 NHL games, and 2 of those were in a meaningless game 82 against Edmonton. As much as I agree that some of the benching of the young guys is ridiculous, at some point he actually has to do something to earn icetime.

Vey managed 3 goals and 2 assists in his first 2 games (on only 9 shots) but was a -2 in those 9 games. 9 games in, Baertschi has 3 assists, 12 shots and is a +1. Not saying hes been dominate, but really given his minutes those numbers aren't too shabby. Just seems like Vey get opportunities from day 1, and Baertschi/Virtanen/McCann aren't.

I just think its a dilemma. He obviously has to earn more ice-time, and play well. But when you see Prust and Dorsett playing ~12 ES minutes per game, and getting crushed possession-wise... I can't see any good argument for the kids to be playing only 10 minutes a game.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Yup, it goes both ways.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Wait... Vey wasn't gifted those minutes??!?!

I'm so confused. ;)

I like him being shuffled a bit... roll the kids through and see what we got with them all...
If it spurs him to improve... good.
If he welts from self pity... good, now we know - move on.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Vey was also given time with the 1st PP unit because of his RH shot.

Not an excuse for Bae, though, he's been bad. If he was an undrafted free-agent or something he'd already be waived.

But because they paid a 2nd for him and he is considered one of our better prospects, unfortunately, they need to try to make it work.

I understand that he's still young and is going to have some growing pains but he's not 18 years old. He's had a lot of time and success in the AHL and it's time for him to make the jump.

I keep reading it's just that he doesn't have "confidence". To me, he's extremely lazy, soft and disengaged most of the time. Not having confidence is not an excuse to play this way.

Because this is a rebuilding phase I don't mind him staying in the lineup to see if something clicks but if the alternative is Gaunce, I'll take the latter.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wait... Vey wasn't gifted those minutes??!?!

I'm so confused. ;)

I like him being shuffled a bit... roll the kids through and see what we got with them all...
If it spurs him to improve... good.
If he welts from self pity... good, now we know - move on.

Vey was gifted #1 PP minutes but based on his preseason he'd clearly earned the regular 5-on-5 play he received in October. The issue was a) the PP minutes and b) the way his icetime continued in the same vein until mid-March regardless of performance, 50 games after he stopped being effective.

Right now Vey and Baertschi basically look like the same player. Does not speak well for Benning's pro scouting.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
He looks extremely underwhelming so far. Even if he does start to show progress, I'm not sure what a reasonable expectation for a fully developed Baertschi is. A slightly slower Mason Raymond with a bit better playmaking?

The moral of this story is, don't trade 2nd rounders! We've traded three now in two years for Vey, Baertschi and a throw-in for Sutter. That's a whole lot of nothing for three 2nd rounders, one of which is in the 35 pick range right now.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Looks like another horrendous pro scouting mistake by Benning. I'm starting to wonder if he even watches these guys after they leave junior or if he just assumes they can re-capture their form of 3 or 4 years previous. Benning is like an HFBoards poster who looks at the most glowing statistics, even once they're long past relevance.

I really wanted Baertschi to succeed and I understand the reasoning behind these gambles, but at a certain point, a GM is paid to find gambles that tilt favourable in his favour. To this point, Benning has failed.

I hope something sparks Baertschi to success, but he looks like a classic AHLer to me.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
We have enough depth to ship him out imo.

Accept it was a dumb trade to make and move on

Weren't you pumping his tires so hard during the Calder Cup run last season as well as this whole summer? That's a rather quick turnaround.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Looks like another horrendous pro scouting mistake by Benning. I'm starting to wonder if he even watches these guys after they leave junior or if he just assumes they can re-capture their form of 3 or 4 years previous. Benning is like an HFBoards poster who looks at the most glowing statistics, even once they're long past relevance.

I really wanted Baertschi to succeed and I understand the reasoning behind these gambles, but at a certain point, a GM is paid to find gambles that tilt favourable in his favour. To this point, Benning has failed.

I hope something sparks Baertschi to success, but he looks like a classic AHLer to me.

It wouldn't be ridiculous to suggest he doesn't spend nearly enough time scouting NHLers than he does scouting teenagers. Last year, he didn't attend a lot of Canuck games because he was in Europe scouting.

I get that he's ultra passionate about scouting, but he's a GM now and needs to be more well rounded.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
It wouldn't be ridiculous to suggest he doesn't spend nearly enough time scouting NHLers than he does scouting teenagers. Last year, he didn't attend a lot of Canuck games because he was in Europe scouting.

I get that he's ultra passionate about scouting, but he's a GM now and needs to be more well rounded.

Unfortunately, Benning seems at this point to be the head amateur scout and he's left the rest of the GMing duties to Weisbrod. I suspect he's behind a lot of the god-awful pro scouting moves just because he's the loudest voice in the room.

That said, I'm still holding out hope for Baertschi. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's going to break out soon but a game in the pressbox may do him some good.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Sven basically ran the pp here in Utica, hope he gets it together.... He has to pass waivers to get back to Utica.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Unfortunately, Benning seems at this point to be the head amateur scout and he's left the rest of the GMing duties to Weisbrod. I suspect he's behind a lot of the god-awful pro scouting moves just because he's the loudest voice in the room.

That said, I'm still holding out hope for Baertschi. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's going to break out soon but a game in the pressbox may do him some good.

And on flip side... I'm not seeing the defensively liability Baertschi we were told to expect.
He's shown effort and has had a good stick in the defensive zone.. which has allowed the coach to continue to give him ice.

But a player like him has to begin producing. In his quiet and ineffective games, he hasn't been able to battle and earn space. Baertschi with space can take advantage of his passing and skill.. otherwise it's just rub out after rub out along the boards.
Hopefully he gets a lucky bounce or two when he gets back to spur a little something.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly, it was a good gamble, many people including myself thought it was a huge steal to get sven.

It did not work out, it happens, this trade made complete sense when he made it, It's time to see if we can salvage a pick out of him from another team who wants to give it a shot.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Honestly, it was a good gamble, many people including myself thought it was a huge steal to get sven.

It did not work out, it happens, this trade made complete sense when he made it, It's time to see if we can salvage a pick out of him from another team who wants to give it a shot.

I don't think it's time to quit the experiment yet

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Nobody is giving up a pick for him

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
I thought it was a decent idea to get him in our system and try developing him, but it seemed pretty suspect to me when he more or less was handed a top 6 spot this season as soon as we traded for him.

The odds of grabbing another teams castoff and successfully plugging him into a regular top6 role had to be pretty low..

MISC*

He's got to be given the full year.

He reeks of a player that scores in bunches when his confidence gets going.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The odds of grabbing another teams castoff and successfully plugging him into a regular top6 role had to be pretty low..

They were posted at the time too. Usually you don't have great odds of turning into a top 6 forward when you acquire someone who's spent 3 years in the AHL. For example, guys like Hoffman and Parenteau are more the exception rather than the norm.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
They were posted at the time too. Usually you don't have great odds of turning into a top 6 forward when you acquire someone who's spent 3 years in the AHL. For example, guys like Hoffman and Parenteau are more the exception rather than the norm.

They are the exception, as is a late 2nd Rd pick developing into a top 6 player in the NHL. A major exception.

Actually thought Baertschi made marginal improvements over his last pair of games, after a poor start to his season. But contrary to all the talk about the Canucks lack of depth, this is a deep forward group where everyone is pulling their weight. If Baertschi won't battle like his career is on the line, be willing to get to the net with and without the puck and compete as hard as the rest of the group, he deserves to sit and watch.

His career will likely be defined in the next 6 weeks. Time to find out what he's made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad