Sven "Is Bae" Baertschi, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
He is not playing with the best players either and recently started to get more ice time more PP time. He is still learning the NHL game. He will get better.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
At the game last night, row 8. Saw a lot of guys shying away from contact, Vrby was most guilty.

Jets have a lot a big guys, but Bae wasn't scared of anything, he even separated guys much larger than him from the puck, won board battles, took hits, and kept hounding the puck when at the end of his shift and caused bad passes and turnovers.

Dat battle level. 1000% better than oct.

Thats great to here hes starting to make the trade look better. I think maybe hes a keeper imagine if he starts to increase his play we could have a really good guy for many years. I was wrong gotta say and admit it :)

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I had/have no issue with the trade. I'm just seeing fairly optimistic projections for him, including from the team president.

This is where I'm at as well. Baertschi has turned into a useful player and the trade is proving to be a good one, but I'm hesitant to proclaim him a future core piece until I see him carry this stretch into next season.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
There is room for optimism but I think some people are getting carried away given the results we've seen so far. He basically needs to hit 40 points next year, it will be his third or fourth pro year depending on how many games you say constitutes a year and he will be 24. For a top-6 offensive winger he is going to have to start putting up some points.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
There is room for optimism but I think some people are getting carried away given the results we've seen so far. He basically needs to hit 40 points next year, it will be his third or fourth pro year depending on how many games you say constitutes a year and he will be 24. For a top-6 offensive winger he is going to have to start putting up some points.

IMO, he's a couple years away from becoming a legit top-6 winger which makes sense as he's 23 right now and hitting his stride at 25.

coldhands

Jan 25, 2012
BC
Did anyone catch that one play coming up the boards in the O-Zone with a couple defenders closing in on him and it looked like his only option was to pass back to the D? Out of nowhere, he chips the puck into the middle of the ice and makes a nice play to the front of the net. Its great to see his confidence with the puck starting to boom and he's taking the puck to the dirty areas in front. I'm excited for next season, he could really break out.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Last few games he's been turning it on more. Really making things happen, creating chances every shift. Honestly, he's way more able to "carry" a line than Horvat at this point.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
If not the best, one of the best Canucks on the ice game in and game out lately.

He's one of the few guys you can now count on to play well.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Willie Desjardins said:
“He’s not really the same player, he competes way harder now,†Willie said. “I always believed him because he likes the game and he had passion for the game.

“Now, his passion is even more. He wants the puck. He wants to make things happen. He’s trying to make things happen every shift. There’s been some games against tough teams where he’s just played through it and played hard.

“There was a time there where we were wondering if he was a fit for this team. ‘Maybe this guy isn’t a fit for us.’

“I think there are some people who believed in him in the organization. It was a good thing they did.â€
I tend to agree with Verviticus that this is mostly a load of bunk. I'm sure he is much more comfortable now than at the start of the year -- that's a normal part of acclimatizing to a new environment -- and getting to know his teammates better, etc. But his underlying numbers were decent at the start of the year. The main difference has been one of opportunity, that thing that Willie controls.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Well, yeah. You guys are right for the most part.

The only thing Baertschi has really changed is the fact he's more physically engaged.

The rest of his game is just doing more of what he was doing before. Just with more confidence.

#Verviticus4Coach2016

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm sorry, I don't care what the underlying numbers are. He was absolute garbage to start the year. Constantly on the perimeter, playing with no confidence, never getting in shooting positions, bailing on plays where it looked like he would be hit. Would go games on end without a scoring chance.

Since late December, he's been a completely different player. And it isn't just that he's getting more minutes. He's playing with swagger and confidence and going to the hard areas of the ice to make plays.

I don't think much of this coaching staff but they've done well with this player this year.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm sorry, I don't care what the underlying numbers are. He was absolute garbage to start the year. Constantly on the perimeter, playing with no confidence, never getting in shooting positions, bailing on plays where it looked like he would be hit. Would go games on end without a scoring chance.

Since late December, he's been a completely different player. And it isn't just that he's getting more minutes. He's playing with swagger and confidence and going to the hard areas of the ice to make plays.

I don't think much of this coaching staff but they've done well with this player this year.

The player himself confirms your opinion. He said recently that he has learned to enjoy going to the net and battling, admitting that he had been staying too much on the perimeter.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I have to say, I am not so much of a fan of his game as it exists this year or has in the NHL but I am surprised. I didn't think he would be a failure but I didn't think i would see much potential. I guess no matter what anyone says he puts up an ok PPG and has times he looks OK.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
They told Baertschi the same thing they told Kassian… in both cases they were accused of not letting the player "play their game". They're actually pretty similar players that go about it in different ways. Baertschi creates time and space to make plays by being shifty, Kass does it with size, both have good hands.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Did anyone catch that one play coming up the boards in the O-Zone with a couple defenders closing in on him and it looked like his only option was to pass back to the D? Out of nowhere, he chips the puck into the middle of the ice and makes a nice play to the front of the net. Its great to see his confidence with the puck starting to boom and he's taking the puck to the dirty areas in front. I'm excited for next season, he could really break out.

Yeah man, I was at the game and let out an audible 'holy ****' when I saw him do that. Felt like nobody else saw it. On his backhand as well, and like you said it's amazing what a little confidence will do for a guy.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I have to say, I am not so much of a fan of his game as it exists this year or has in the NHL but I am surprised. I didn't think he would be a failure but I didn't think i would see much potential. I guess no matter what anyone says he puts up an ok PPG and has times he looks OK.
Haha, alright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad