Post-Game Talk: Suzuki is the Nature of Winning Things! Habs beasting the SO! 5-4 SO win!

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Weal is a solid player. I think he can play similar role to what Andrew Shaw did.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher (18 minutes)
Suzuki - Domi - Drouin (18 minutes)
Lehkonen - KK - Armia (14 minutes)
Byron - Poehling - Weal (10 minutes)

Eventually, once Suzuki, Poehling and maybe even Weal move up lineup into top 6 and top 9, I think guys like Drouin, Armia and Byron are potentially traded for upgrade on D. Those 3 are all at a position of strength and all would have value in a trade - particular JD and PB.
No question things will have to move around. Guys like Thompson and Cousins who could easily play 4th line aren’t even in lineup.

Next year or year after with Caufield, even more will have to be moved...
I wanna see KK and Suzuki together if we're gonna put Kick on the wing. Two guys with amazing vision and ability to create turnovers..

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I dont see the same edge control as Datsyuk but just to be mentioned in the same breath sure is a good feeling.

Definitely, Datsyuks cutbacks were legendary. That said, I'm impressed with how much better Suzukis edges have gotten since his draft year. He's a dedicated player, I could see him get better and better gradually over the next summers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I feel like Bergevin made another steal from Calgary, Brett Kulak is a pretty solid defenceman at both end of the ice. He's impressive with the puck on his stick and creates many chances offensively!!

He's done well at finding depth: Kulak, Weal, Byron, Danault, Cousins(?), Weise the first time around, Folin, Thompson, Armia.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I dont want to see Poehling playing 10 mins a night. Prefer him in an offensive roll and laval. Same goes for Suzuki. Would like to see him groomed as a center too.

Reactions: MasterD

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Here's the deal regardless if it's pre-season or not both Poehling and Suzuki are pushing guys like Byron out of the top nine on talent alone. It's going to be a miserable year for Drouin if he doesn't get his act together with those kids are biding their time either in Laval or in lesser roles. Something will break.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Yep. Its time to move someone. The team has A LOT of quantity. Weal, Cousins, Tatar, Drouin, Danault, Byron, Lekhonen, Armia, Suzuki, Poehling. Its too many bodies for 9 spots, you dont have to be a mathematician for that.

If you can either a) turn this into picks or b) turn the quantity into quality, youre in it.

We have picks and we have prospect, enough to start thinking about pushing to go for quality.
Time fix those holes.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Weal is a solid player. I think he can play similar role to what Andrew Shaw did.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher (18 minutes)
Suzuki - Domi - Drouin (18 minutes)
Lehkonen - KK - Armia (14 minutes)
Byron - Poehling - Weal (10 minutes)

Eventually, once Suzuki, Poehling and maybe even Weal move up lineup into top 6 and top 9, I think guys like Drouin, Armia and Byron are potentially traded for upgrade on D. Those 3 are all at a position of strength and all would have value in a trade - particular JD and PB.
No question things will have to move around. Guys like Thompson and Cousins who could easily play 4th line aren’t even in lineup.

Next year or year after with Caufield, even more will have to be moved...

That's my top 12, but I would like KK to play with more offensive players.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Suzuki poehling brook fleury Caulfield Evans Romanov ylonen...

Oh by the way did anyone count how many times the announcer said belzile.. The guy was everywhere.. good for him..

Vjedemo with good speed and vision but something about his skating is off.

What a 5 hole goal by varone.

Datsyukesque like flip for Suzuki.

I like Belzile when hes in the ozone doing work around the net and on the boards, he really knows how to use his size. That said, he still needs to work on his puck skills/passing.

I still view him as a quality depth guy, he'll be good for the kids in Laval. He can always step in and play 4th line mins for us if theres injuries. Happy to see him do well tho, nice story.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Definitely, Datsyuks cutbacks were legendary. That said, I'm impressed with how much better Suzukis edges have gotten since his draft year. He's a dedicated player, I could see him get better and better gradually over the next summers.

Datsyuk is second only to Crosby in edge control, of the players Ive seen. Most people rave about his hands, but when you watch him closely you understand that yeah, his hands were legendary, but his edge control is what probably set him apart from the rest as a puck handler. Good thing is, Suzuki still has two years until hes the same age as Datsyuk.

Its about time we get lucky, as Habs fans, anyway.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I dont want to see Poehling playing 10 mins a night. Prefer him in an offensive roll and laval. Same goes for Suzuki. Would like to see him groomed as a center too.

Suzuki and Poehling are going to have to play in the NHL sooner than later.

I'd like to at least see Domi tried on the wing - to see if he can be as effective there as he was last year at C.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Disclaimer; it is not what I hope will happen. It is what I have a feeling will happen;

I think their minds are set; Poehling and Suzuki will spend the whole season in Laval with Bouchard and they'll look to integrate them both in 2020-2021

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Someone thats not as lazy as I am needs to either gif that close-up thumbs up Nick just did while signing the lens on RDS or at least make a picture out of it.

uM9DoPL.jpg

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
A couple of thoughts from the pre-season games so far:

1. I think both Poehling and Suzuki make the team as centers on game 1. This means that Max is going to the wing.

2. Kulak might not start the year on the second line with Petry, but it will not take too much time before he gets that spot.

3. Drouin is in trouble. I could see him being moved this season.

4. Hudon and McCarron are done with the Habs.

5. Thompson will be on this team, as an extra guy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki wont benefit from the AHL, he has every single skill a NHL player needs and he knows how to use them.

Poehling, is different. He would benefit from a PPG season in the A. Develop his shot further, develop his already very good playmaking, teach him to use his body against actual pros, teach him to play better defense, etc.

This makes sense. But let's see him in the final 4 pre-season games to make sure.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Armia + Drouin should be trade bait for a LD. I'd like to hold onto Byron for another season cus hes insanely versatile and a good team guy.

I like Armia too but his style doesnt mesh well w/ how the team plays. He looks a bit out of place.

Reactions: HabsMD97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad