Post-Game Talk: Suzuki is the Nature of Winning Things! Habs beasting the SO! 5-4 SO win!

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Suzuki is definitely playing for a roster spot, made a very strong case for himself tonight.

The interesting thing is that a depth player like Weal is also playing well. Tough decisions will have to be made. What if Poehling also has a strong game Saturday? Would Julien really be willing to make space for the young guys over veterans like Thompson and Cousins? If so, who plays top 9 and who plays on the 4th line?

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Never been a Suzuki fan but damn the kid can play. Like I have said all along...let’s see how he does once camp nears its end.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Suzuki poehling brook fleury Caulfield Evans Romanov ylonen...

Oh by the way did anyone count how many times the announcer said belzile.. The guy was everywhere.. good for him..

Vjedemo with good speed and vision but something about his skating is off.

What a 5 hole goal by varone.

Datsyukesque like flip for Suzuki.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki is definitely playing for a roster spot, made a very strong case for himself tonight.

The interesting thing is that a depth player like Weal is also playing well. Tough decisions will have to be made. What if Poehling also has a strong game Saturday? Would Julien really be willing to make space for the young guys over veterans like Thompson and Cousins? If so, who plays top 9 and who plays on the 4th line?

We can go 4 lines deep:

Lehkonen Danault Gallagher
Byron Kotkaniemi Domi
Tatar Suzuki Weal
Drouin Poehling Armia

If Byron is out, Cousins can get in the lineup.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Someone thats not as lazy as I am needs to either gif that close-up thumbs up Nick just did while signing the lens on RDS or at least make a picture out of it.

We'd have to locate a clip. Or if someone DVRed the game, they can isolate the sequence. And then we can do something.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Weal is a solid player. I think he can play similar role to what Andrew Shaw did.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher (18 minutes)
Suzuki - Domi - Drouin (18 minutes)
Lehkonen - KK - Armia (14 minutes)
Byron - Poehling - Weal (10 minutes)

Eventually, once Suzuki, Poehling and maybe even Weal move up lineup into top 6 and top 9, I think guys like Drouin, Armia and Byron are potentially traded for upgrade on D. Those 3 are all at a position of strength and all would have value in a trade - particular JD and PB.
No question things will have to move around. Guys like Thompson and Cousins who could easily play 4th line aren’t even in lineup.

Next year or year after with Caufield, even more will have to be moved...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We are very close to start thinking about making some moves….
There's no way both Poehling and Suzuki are starting in the AHL.
Yep. Its time to move someone. The team has A LOT of quantity. Weal, Cousins, Tatar, Drouin, Danault, Byron, Lekhonen, Armia, Suzuki, Poehling. Its too many bodies for 9 spots, you dont have to be a mathematician for that.

If you can either a) turn this into picks or b) turn the quantity into quality, youre in it.

To note that Cousins and Weal probably have very little value compared to what they can offer the Habs. Byron, Tatar, Danault, Drouin are the pieces to move IMO, but out of those names, Tatar would be the only one Id keep because the left side is pretty bad.

Drouin, Byron, Danault... in order of who could go.

Reactions: habsfan891

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I know we are going to end up seeing Drouin - Domi - Suzuki just going to have to shelter them hard or just on the PP.

Perhaps something like:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Suzuki
Armia - Kotkaniemi - Lekhonen
Byron - Thompson - Weal

Poehling to AHL to play as top C and first call-up.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I agree with the need to trade some dudes. Get low picks, anything, Timmins like them. Sometimes, making room is as valuable as actually adding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad