Salary Cap: Suttering through another bad off-season is Malkin me Saad and Despressed. Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
There's still an empty LW spot we'd have to fill...and where are we getting that from...and for how much

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Having Kessel on the team with the big contracts of Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fleury effectively kills any chance of depth on one of the top lines, bottom 6, and defense as well as draining trade assets that the Pens could use for multiple players or keep for themselves.

Pens need depth more than a single elite, all-star winger.

Absolutely no to Maatta for Kessel. The Pens don't have the defensive depth or cap flexibility to lose a top 4 defender on a ELC for a top line winger making $8M.

Also I am sure that Crosby or Malkin and Kessel are talented enough to make it work. But my guess would be that none of them would mesh very well together. Kessel wants the puck too much (for Malkin) and doesn't pass enough (for Crosby).

Its close.

I'm on my iPad, and I have no cap geek, but just spitballing:

You lose Spaling (2.2), Scuderi (3.2) and Kunitz (3.7) and you're at 9.1M in cap savings. So you're now +1.1M in space

Perron (3.8) - Sid (8.7) - Hornqvist (4.25)
X - Malkin (9.5) - Kessel (8)
Bennett (1) - X - Dupuis (3.8)
X - Sundqvist (.9) - Comeau (2)
X

Maatta (.9) - Letang (7.5)
Lovejoy (1.1) - Cole (2)
Pouliot (.9) - Dumoulin (.9)
X

Fleury (5.75)
X

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Its close.

I'm on my iPad, and I have no cap geek, but just spitballing:

You lose Spaling (2.2), Scuderi (3.2) and Kunitz (3.7) and you're at 9.1M in cap savings. So you're now +1.1M in space

Perron (3.8) - Sid (8.7) - Hornqvist (4.25)
X - Malkin (9.5) - Kessel (8)
Bennett (1) - X - Dupuis (3.8)
X - Sundqvist (.9) - Comeau (2)
X

Maatta (.9) - Letang (7.5)
Lovejoy (1.1) - Cole (2)
Pouliot (.9) - Dumoulin (.9)
X

Fleury (5.75)
X

So $1.1M for a 3C, 4th liner, 13th forward, 7th defenseman, and back-up?

That isn't feasible.

Last edited:

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Use BB at that spot.

Perron-Sid-Horny
BB-Geno-Kessel
Comeau-Matthias-Dupuis
Wilson-Sundy-Farnham

Maatta-Letang
Sekera-Cole
Pouliot-Lovejoy

Flower
Backup for 1M

Sutter for a 2015 1st

Kunitz, Harrington, Scuderi, Jarry, 2015 and 2016 1st for Kessel

Spaling for a pick.

Sign Sekera for 5.5M

Someone wanna do me a favor and see how cap works? Chances are it won't

Just remember we'd have to sign Maatta long term soon

If we can't sign Sekera, we NEED Reilly

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So $1.1M for a 3C, 4th liner, 13th forward, 7th defenseman, and back-up?

That isn't feasible.

It gets easier if you play Sundqvist at 3C, but yes, it's tight. Maybe you forgo Comeau on the 4th line, the 3rd is still really good depending. Or Bennett on 2LW. There are ways to make it work.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm still not convinced we'd be able to get Kessel without having to give up a significant asset. Again, I don't dislike the dude and I think he'd be great on this team, but we'd be gutting an already thin lineup/prospect pool to get him, and I don't think he's worth his contract. He's gonna be making $8M/yr until he's 33.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
There's still an empty LW spot we'd have to fill...and where are we getting that from...and for how much

If Kessel is on RW with Crosby? Throw Dupuis up there. All the speed off the rush Sid could ever want.

Malkin gets two legit 2nd liners in Perron and PH.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
I've never done one of these armchair gms not even on cap geek so take it easy on me. This kessel nonsense has gotten me alil hot n bothered so it was time to crunch numbers.

Traded scuderi,kk,jarry, 16' 1st, 15' 2nd for kessel
Traded kunitz Sutter and Bennet to recoup picks
Signed tlusty to 3m
signed Sekera to 4
Resigned Cole,Farnham,comeau for alil over 5total.

Perron Crosby kessel
tlusty malkin hornqvist
Comeau spaling dupuis
Wilson sundqvist Farnham

Maata Letang
Sekera Cole
Dumoulin Pouliot
Lovejoy
fleury zatkoff
Roughly 400k left.
Options for more space are keeping Bennett letting comeau walk
I just liked comeau at 3lw better.
finding a chorney type for 7th d and moving lovejoy.
Perfect,no. But damn that looks good to me.
Go head crush me now.

That's the lineup I posted earlier obviously the kessel deal isn't the right value but I was more concerned with the numbers than the particulars of the trade. And 2 my suprise a moving out those salaries gives us alot more flexibility than I even imagined.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If Kessel is on RW with Crosby? Throw Dupuis up there. All the speed off the rush Sid could ever want.

Malkin gets two legit 2nd liners in Perron and PH.

PH and Geno did not mesh at ALL, don't know if I wanna try it out again

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Offer sheeting Saad, obviously. (I'm kidding, but before anyone says otherwise it is possibly to have both Kessel full cap hit and Saad at 6M on the roster).

If Sutter isn't used in the Kessel deal, we could try to use him as a piece for a LW. Free agent options like Frolik and Beleksey are out there as well. Bennett.

We need another top-6 LW with or without Kessel. To get a good one and Kessel, we'd have to be okay with a Dupuis-Spaling-Bennett third line and a very youthful fourth and defense.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yea, Hornqvist and Sid should be a pair forever and ever amen. They were dynamic, even if they couldn't produce more, in the playoffs. Will only get better, especially with a non-Kunitz LW.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Offer sheeting Saad, obviously. (I'm kidding, but before anyone says otherwise it is possibly to have both Kessel full cap hit and Saad at 6M on the roster).

If Sutter isn't used in the Kessel deal, we could try to use him as a piece for a LW. Free agent options like Frolik and Beleksey are out there as well. Bennett.

We need another top-6 LW with or without Kessel. To get a good one and Kessel, we'd have to be okay with a Dupuis-Spaling-Bennett third line and a very youthful fourth and defense.

Well you can check the lineup I posted, I have no idea how the cap works, but that is a pretty ideal lineup

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It gets easier if you play Sundqvist at 3C, but yes, it's tight. Maybe you forgo Comeau on the 4th line, the 3rd is still really good depending. Or Bennett on 2LW. There are ways to make it work.

Pens would be fine, but JR will have some work to do. Worry about your 3rd and 4th lines later, that top 6 would be set for a long time. When Maatta gets his raise, get rid of Dupuis. Play the young guys in the bottom 6, aswell as the D. Will be meh for a year or 2, but whatever.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
PH and Geno did not mesh at ALL, don't know if I wanna try it out again

Hornqvist doesn't play any differently. The guy works the boards and goes to the net. As long as Geno has another player on his line he can work give and gos with, Hornqvist will be fine.

I think PH was at his best with Sid. But neither center had a legit line to work with. Let's acquire the talent to do that for both of them and then figure out how best to construct the lines.

Chicago rotates guys all over the damn place.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Hornqvist doesn't play any differently. The guy works the boards and goes to the net. As long as Geno has another player on his line he can work give and gos with, Hornqvist will be fine.

I think PH was at his best with Sid. But neither center had a legit line to work with. Let's acquire the talent to do that for both of them and then figure out how best to construct the lines.

Chicago rotates guys all over the damn place.

That's fair. Hopefully we can find a way for everyone to gel so we can get combos for different situations.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If this fantasy were to become reality. Starting next season.

Toews+Kane+Hossa =26.275 mil

Sid+Geno+Kessel = 26.2 mil

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
If this fantasy were to become reality. Starting next season.

Toews+Kane+Hossa =26.275 mil

Sid+Geno+Kessel = 26.2 mil

You mean we would be like that team that is constantly winning and competing for Cups? When Toews and Kane can't carry them Hossa picks it up. We need that kind of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad