Salary Cap: Suttering through another bad off-season is Malkin me Saad and Despressed. Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
giphy.gif

I don't want Kessel!!!!

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Winnik was traded before the trade limit when offers go high with demands as ever, very coveted he was.

Kessel is rumored to go before or during the draft. Different ball game.

Just trying to put a little perspective here.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Does anyone besides me think that if we did get Kessel, that he would be a better fit for Malkin than Sid?

Kessel is a sniper, much like Neal, and Neal was better with Geno. Sid seems to do better with the "get to the net and score scrappy goals" type players, ie, Hornqvist. That also is what makes me think that a Saad-Sid-Horny line would be dominant.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Kessel might be on his way out of Toronto, but the new regime might also try to work with him and build around him.

I don't think Kessel is going to be moved, and if he is, it'll be for a king's ransom. Let's stop acting like we'd get him for scraps and a 1st.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Does anyone besides me think that if we did get Kessel, that he would be a better fit for Malkin than Sid?

Kessel is a sniper, much like Neal, and Neal was better with Geno. Sid seems to do better with the "get to the net and score scrappy goals" type players, ie, Hornqvist. That also is what makes me think that a Saad-Sid-Horny line would be dominant.

Kessel is much better at carrying and passing the puck than Neal ever was though. I think he'd look good with either.

Also, Sid and Neal looked good together too, on the rare occasions that it happened. He played with Geno more, but I don't think we saw him enough with Sid to say he was actually better with Geno.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Kessel might be on his way out of Toronto, but the new regime might also try to work with him and build around him.

I don't think Kessel is going to be moved, and if he is, it'll be for a king's ransom. Let's stop acting like we'd get him for scraps and a 1st.

Scraps? Look Back at Ron Paul's offer...

Leafs are in full rebuild mode, it's only logical they'd wanna stack up more prospects & picks sooner than later.

Also... What if Kessel wants out with what he's going through in Congo Toronto?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You know, just thinking about it, I wonder if the Hivemind would send Perron the Leafs direction for Kessel (obviously Pens have to add). I'd guess the thinking (prior to acquiring him) as to why Perron, specifically, would be a long term fit is that he's a rightie with a good enough release to play weak-side on a powerplay that's (necessarily) always going to be worked from the right.

With Kessel on the roster--who is capable of doing the same thing much better--suddenly DP's just an even strength player. 5 on 5 only, over his career, DP's not really any more productive than a guy like Comeau, and not even close to Dupuis. The difference in production between him and them comes with the man-advantage. If he's not on the first unit, he ceases being something that's better than cheaper options we already have access to, who skate faster and play better defense.

Then again, you might be able to put Perron in the middle of the box even if you have Kessel. The Troy Brouwer role.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I honestly don't know. Sid also likes to generate offense on the rush and that's Kessel's bread and butter as well. Another thing Sid does is fire passes through coverage that most people don't have the hand-eye coordination to accept. Kessel can put those on net with a minimum of fuss.

I agree that finesse types usually work better with Malkin, but I'm not sure Kessel wouldn't be an exception.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You know, just thinking about it, I wonder if the Hivemind would send Perron the Leafs direction for Kessel (obviously Pens have to add). I'd guess the thinking (prior to acquiring him) as to why Perron, specifically, would be a long term fit is that he's a rightie with a good enough release to play weak-side on a powerplay that's (necessarily) always going to be worked from the right.

With Kessel on the roster--who is capable of doing the same thing much better--suddenly DP's just an even strength player. 5 on 5 only, over his career, DP's not really any more productive than a guy like Comeau, and not even close to Dupuis. The difference in production between him and them comes with the man-advantage. If he's not on the first unit, he ceases being something that's better than cheaper options we already have access to, who skate faster and play better defense.

Then again, you might be able to put Perron in the middle of the box even if you have Kessel. The Troy Brouwer role.

we will still need a 2nd PP unit too. THough if it took Perron to get Kessel, I would still do it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I honestly don't know. Sid also likes to generate offense on the rush and that's Kessel's bread and butter as well. Another thing Sid does is fire passes through coverage that most people don't have the hand-eye coordination to accept. Kessel can put those on net with a minimum of fuss.

I agree that finesse types usually work better with Malkin, but I'm not sure Kessel wouldn't be an exception.

Yeah, Kessel is a different beast. We haven't seen either play with a guy like him outside of international play.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Scraps? Look Back at Ron Paul's offer...

Leafs are in full rebuild mode, it's only logical they'd wanna stack up more prospects & picks sooner than later.

Also... What if Kessel wants out with what he's going through in Congo Toronto?

Yeah, that's scraps plus a 1st for an all world, goal-scoring winger.

I think any proposal without Maatta is a pipe dream. The Leafs know the position they're in with Kessel, but they're not just gonna give him away.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
can I ask why, aside from cost? Because that's the only real legit reason I see. Though it is certainly legit, both cap hit and possibly trade cost.

He will also be here another 7 years. Finally get a good winger here since Hossa, assuming we do get Kessel. I have a feeling JR will go hard for him.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
we will still need a 2nd PP unit too. THough if it took Perron to get Kessel, I would still do it.

2nd units rarely score. Especially ours.

I'm not crazy about Scott Wilson or Beau Bennett, but are you going to get $3 million worth of more powerplay goals than you'd get from one of them on a second unit? Probably not. He'd need to score, like, 15 PPGs on a season if they scored 0 for it to be worthwhile to keep him for just that role. On a second unit, that's not happening.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
2nd units rarely score. Especially ours.

I'm not crazy about Scott Wilson or Beau Bennett, but are you going to get $3 million worth of more powerplay goals than you'd get from one of them on a second unit? Probably not. He'd need to score, like, 15 PPGs on a season if they scored 0 for it to be worthwhile.

Guys like Perron could help a 2nd pairing score. Its also good to have an extra guy ready to step on to the first unit if someone is injured or even just had a long shift before the PP or something.

And I also think we could see Perron's scoring at ES go up here. Its not quite apples to apples to compare Dupuis' ES scoring with Sid vs Perron's in St. Louis.

Like I said, moving him wouldn't be the worst thing if we brought in Kessel. But I don't think we should be trying to get rid of him.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
The Leafs know the position they're in with Kessel, but they're not just gonna give him away.
I beg to differ on his trade value, Leafs want/need prospects & picks NOW. Kessel may very well want out & you never get full value by trading block busters anyway (a la Pens anyone?)

I guess we'll see at the draft when prospects & picks' values are at an all time high... ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
His value's definitely taken a hit, but I don't think you're gonna get him for a decent goalie prospect, a bottom pairing defensive prospect, a cap dump and a 1st.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
His value's definitely taken a hit, but I don't think you're gonna get him for a decent goalie prospect, a bottom pairing defensive prospect, a cap dump and a 1st.

As much as I don't like Sutter, he is not a cap dump. And Harrington has a decent chance to be better than a bottom pairing guy imo. None of those pieces are scraps except Kunitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad