TV: Survivor: General Discussion

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Yeah I had heard that Nicaragua was bad. I think my fiancee had watched like 3 other seasons and I just happened to get into watching it while she was about halfway through Nicaragua.

I'm really blown away by how intense the gameplay is. We're nearing the end of Gabon right now (just got to final 5) and it just seems like every move is so big. The past few tribals have been mega intense. Especially Bob's plays with the fake idols.

I had a misconception that Big Brother and Survivor were a LOT more similar, boy was I wrong.

I can imagine that Survivor feels new and refreshing. The first 10 seasons probably feel less intense gameplay-wise as the focus was more on outdoor surviving and less on idols etc. They are entertaining in their own way and there are still some good players and twists and moments. Nicaragua felt poor because it was after Heroes vs Villains, which was extraordinary season. Gabon also suffers from having to follow a great season Micronesia.

Cagyan is a great season. I would recommend Panama and Cook Islands out of those early teen seasons. I haven't seen those earliest seasons in years, but Pearl Islands has some legendary moments. Tocantins and Samoa, which were filmed after Gabon are also great. All of these seasons have new players. Gameplay-wise I have to say that most of the best ones are those with returning players, but you should get more familiar with the players before jumping into those in my opinion.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm looking forward to it. I finished Cagayan last week and I'm about halfway through Pearl Islands now. Loving Pearl Islands a lot so far, just reached the merge episode.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Wow. Just watched the Family Visit episode of Pearl Islands with Jonny Fairplay's shenanigans. All I can say is WOW. Going to be finishing PI tonight and starting China next.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Wow. Just watched the Family Visit episode of Pearl Islands with Jonny Fairplay's shenanigans. All I can say is WOW. Going to be finishing PI tonight and starting China next.

That family visit in Pearl Islands is easily one of the top 5 most memorable moments of the show. Legendary.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Just spoke with Jonny FairPlay on the phone for about 6 minutes. My fiancée ordered a t-shirt from a site he advertised on Twitter and it came with a phone call from him.

I thought he would just try plug his podcast, but he seemed more interested in just shooting the breeze. We mostly talked about survivor, what seasons I’ve watched, and he recommended some I watch after I’m done with 15.

He even gave me a tip on making an audition tape that he said came straight from the Survivor Casting Department.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Just started watching this series for the first time ever... mostly out of quarantine boredom. Surprised how much my wife and I love it. Never thought it would be a show either of us would enjoy. I think we are on season 18 now. We skipped two seasons along the way we just couldn’t get into after a few episodes.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Just started watching this series for the first time ever... mostly out of quarantine boredom. Surprised how much my wife and I love it. Never thought it would be a show either of us would enjoy. I think we are on season 18 now. We skipped two seasons along the way we just couldn’t get into after a few episodes.

Which seasons? There's definitely some where you aren't missing much, but there's also some decent ones that start slow.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Which seasons? There's definitely some where you aren't missing much, but there's also some decent ones that start slow.

I can’t remember off memory.... one of them was around season 4 or 5 maybe? Other around 12 or 13?

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
That's awesome, man. I just got into it as well. Are you just watching the seasons right in a row?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That's awesome, man. I just got into it as well. Are you just watching the seasons right in a row?

Yeah we are. Season 1 was awesome because it was just so new and authentic and got us hooked. I think our next favorite season was the fans vs favorites season.... just so good.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I can’t remember off memory.... one of them was around season 4 or 5 maybe? Other around 12 or 13?

Fair enough. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't really care for any of the first 5 seasons. I'd say the first three are fine, but pretty slow. 4 is the same, but a little worse. And then 5 is just unenjoyable.

As for the other one, I would definitely say none of the early teens seasons were top tier, but they all have something that makes them worth watching.

Definitely to each their own though.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I've started a rewatch from the beginning (will skip seasons that are bad/don't really have impactful players in future seasons).

I grew up watching this show, started from the very beginning but I barely remember anything from seasons 1-22 or so (throughout the years I've rewatched pearl Islands, cook Islands and hvv). Only currently on season 2 but I'm excited to watch the evolution of the game play as well as the OG legends that made this show what it is. I remember as a kid Skupin falling into the fire but that's the only memory I had of season 2 so for the most part it feels like I'm watching the early seasons again for the first time (minus knowing winners/some key characters).

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I've started a rewatch from the beginning (will skip seasons that are bad/don't really have impactful players in future seasons).

I grew up watching this show, started from the very beginning but I barely remember anything from seasons 1-22 or so (throughout the years I've rewatched pearl Islands, cook Islands and hvv). Only currently on season 2 but I'm excited to watch the evolution of the game play as well as the OG legends that made this show what it is. I remember as a kid Skupin falling into the fire but that's the only memory I had of season 2 so for the most part it feels like I'm watching the early seasons again for the first time (minus knowing winners/some key characters).

I've recently gotten into the show and just finished s20, heroes vs villains.
I think season 2 was my favourite so far. I can't quite put together why, but as I've gone up to season 20, it's stuck with me the most.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I just finished watching Survivor 15 (China). Pretty awesome season, great personalities, and gameplay. Was happy with the winner, too.

Onto 16 next, apparently Chet from that season is from the town I live in and lives/lived about 5 minutes away.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I’ve seen every single season and my favorite season is WAW. It’s a shame we haven’t had a season since. Hopefully 41 airs in the Summer.

What’s WAW?

We are now on Heroes vs Villains, season 20. I really like Russel.

I just finished watching Survivor 15 (China). Pretty awesome season, great personalities, and gameplay. Was happy with the winner, too.

Onto 16 next, apparently Chet from that season is from the town I live in and lives/lived about 5 minutes away.

Chet might be the most useless contestant I can think of that lasted more than 2-3 episodes. He was absolutely maddening.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What’s WAW?

Winners at War, Season 40. The much hyped winners-only season. The last season to air.

I'd suggest to watch the seasons in order, but thats only my advice.

Without ruining what happened by giving details that spoil the season, one reason I really liked Winners at War was how high the level of game play was. Even some of these moves where someone might be able to suggest that one player made a dumb play, the one making the dumb play was someone whose won the game. It's not some first or second person out. They've lasted the full 39 days, and beat every last one of them in a prior season, so I think you are starting with a higher baseline for the level of play and when you do see good moves you realize that its one of the best beating one of the best.

Reactions: RayP

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Got my roommate to finally start watching, on Borneo now

havent watched this season in 5+ years, the difference between now and then is unreal

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Dan in season 21 in Nicaragua, the guy who brags about his houses and Ferrari and has knees so bad he couldn’t even jump off a platform into the water.... might overtake Chet as the most useless contestant I’ve seen so far. Wow.

This season in general is filled with a bunch of idiots, and no one is really any good at the challenges at all. I don’t understand their votes whatsoever.

Same season that had that Shannon guy who asked the one guy if he was gay at council.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Dan in season 21 in Nicaragua, the guy who brags about his houses and Ferrari and has knees so bad he couldn’t even jump off a platform into the water.... might overtake Chet as the most useless contestant I’ve seen so far. Wow.

This season in general is filled with a bunch of idiots, and no one is really any good at the challenges at all. I don’t understand their votes whatsoever.

Same season that had that Shannon guy who asked the one guy if he was gay at council.

watch what you say about the mob boss

Xzz6rvl.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad