Survivor Australia

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
They really are just a bunch of pawns except for Nina. So dumb.

Here's the thing now....at a certain point, it's a smart strategy. Once the minority became the majority, it was easy for them. If Matt and Gerry said, "George will never win immunity. Let's follow until we get out the other physical threats and then take him out," I would love to hear that.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah the HvV season was great. Lacklustre winner, as is tradition in Australian Survivor (with one big exception) and even in the original HvV, but a season is much more than its winner. Really enjoyed Shonee this season and unexpectedly loved the whole Simon arc. Best Survivor season I've watched since South African season 6.

I'd also say that anyone who is interested but hasn't watched Australian Survivor before would get along fine even without having seen the returnees before.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Most liked player ever, what a good dude

Yeah the HvV season was great. Lacklustre winner, as is tradition in Australian Survivor (with one big exception) and even in the original HvV, but a season is much more than its winner. Really enjoyed Shonee this season and unexpectedly loved the whole Simon arc. Best Survivor season I've watched since South African season 6.

I think Liz can be an all time great player. First time player learned the game from George and Shonee, she is a physical threat and has great resting bitch face and attitude. If she becomes as strategic as a Haley or a George, she's the full package. True, she wasn't GREAT in this season and got blindsided more than a few times, but she learned. And she can be patient.

I'm 1/2 way through the recent SA season, I didn't watch it live.

It's amazing what a good job production does given the small budget they have.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Most liked player ever, what a good dude

I think Liz can be an all time great player. First time player learned the game from George and Shonee, she is a physical threat and has great resting bitch face and attitude. If she becomes as strategic as a Haley or a George, she's the full package. True, she wasn't GREAT in this season and got blindsided more than a few times, but she learned. And she can be patient.

I'm 1/2 way through the recent SA season, I didn't watch it live.

It's amazing what a good job production does given the small budget they have.

I'll reserve judgement on Liz should she return, which seems highly probably given how much Australia loves returnees. I don't think she is bad by any stretch, just largely someone who fell into a great situation with George and Shonee and the alliance they built. She would be a worthy threat upon returning.

I've seen people complain about the production quality in South Africa and New Zealand and I do not see it. In every way that is important the production values are absolutely fine.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I've seen people complain about the production quality in South Africa and New Zealand and I do not see it. In every way that is important the production values are absolutely fine.

The one thing I notice are the aerial shots and "nature photography". I would guess the big money difference would be most evident with expensive equipment. CBS has unlimited budget. The company in South Africa are a bunch of fans who somehow got a network to back them. Really amazing story.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The one thing I notice are the aerial shots and "nature photography". I would guess the big money difference would be most evident with expensive equipment. CBS has unlimited budget. The company in South Africa are a bunch of fans who somehow got a network to back them. Really amazing story.
Yeah the background of South African Survivor is impressive and since the big change at season 6 it's been a really good product. For years now Australia and South Africa have had a better product than the US in Survivor, and very comfortably so. South Africa season 6 and Australia Heroes vs Villains are two of the top seasons ever and both are available right now in full on youtube... no reason for anyone to not watch it if they like Survivor.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

The idea has been in development over the past couple of months and is expected to feature iconic castaways from both Australian Survivor and Survivor US. However, casting is still in its early stages, and the theme is wholly dependent on being able to lock people down.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

The idea has been in development over the past couple of months and is expected to feature iconic castaways from both Australian Survivor and Survivor US. However, casting is still in its early stages, and the theme is wholly dependent on being able to lock people down.

I think they may run into issues, I could see Survivor USA telling people who have a chance to be on 50 that if they accept this they won't be cast for that. They could still pull in some good ones who are unlikely to get the call for 50, but it may stop them from getting some of the really iconic people (I know Sandra has been on before) like Boston Rob, Tyson, Parv, Cirie, etc.

I would be cool if they could pull in Tina/Colby/Jerri who I think are unlikely to be brought back again, and have a tie in with Australia.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think they may run into issues, I could see Survivor USA telling people who have a chance to be on 50 that if they accept this they won't be cast for that. They could still pull in some good ones who are unlikely to get the call for 50, but it may stop them from getting some of the really iconic people (I know Sandra has been on before) like Boston Rob, Tyson, Parv, Cirie, etc.

I would be cool if they could pull in Tina/Colby/Jerri who I think are unlikely to be brought back again, and have a tie in with Australia.

I think Jeff is in love with new school Survivor and we will see 75% from the last 10 seasons and 25% from the older seasons.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Jeff is in love with new school Survivor and we will see 75% from the last 10 seasons and 25% from the older seasons.
yeah, the issue with Australia trying to get big names is timing if US production doesn't want them on. Since casting for 50 won't be done for another year, and I believe WaW theme wasn't finalized until late.

I'd be curious who he wants. Most of the players he likely would want back come from a variety of eras if they can get them (Tony, Tyson, Boston Rob, Parvati, Cirie, Sandra, Malcolm, Jeremy, Wentworth, etc). Some are New School and some are old school, I'm sure there are couple New Era players he specifically wants back too (Carolyn, and Dee come to mind, probably Q).

Returnee seasons though outside of All-Stars where they tried to bring back the hype of Borneo and Outback (where they made up 50% of the cast) tend to always skew to the most recent seasons like Tocantins and Micronesia making up like 40% of HvV's, and Cambodia being stacked with SJDS and Cagayan players.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Given that it's Australia, I'm guessing they would want physical players like Ozzy, Malcolm, Jeremy for the men and maybe Wigglesworth, Kim and Stephanie?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

I have been wanting this ever since I watched Australia HvV. Would love to see King George and Simon get another shot. George is def. one of my favorite players of all time.

Given that it's Australia, I'm guessing they would want physical players like Ozzy, Malcolm, Jeremy for the men and maybe Wigglesworth, Kim and Stephanie?
I don't think Ozzy will ever be back on Survivor. He's had a lot of controversy with his sex work stuff and STD stuff. Jonathan from 42 would be a great physical threat that I think a lot of people would like on there.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I don't think Ozzy will ever be back on Survivor. He's had a lot of controversy with his sex work stuff and STD stuff. Jonathan from 42 would be a great physical threat that I think a lot of people would like on there.

Ah, I didn't know. I know about some of the drama around past players, but didn't know that about him.

I guess it's like Joe Anglin who was a quality player but using the 'n' word during the show (not aired) and then being totally Qanon....he's not coming back

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Ah, I didn't know. I know about some of the drama around past players, but didn't know that about him.

I guess it's like Joe Anglin who was a quality player but using the 'n' word during the show (not aired) and then being totally Qanon....he's not coming back
I just recently learned off Joe's wildness a few months ago when my wife showed me his Instagram. Man "unhinged" hardly even scratches the surface.

Sucks because they're both absolute beasts of Survivor players.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Why cant the US version do this??? Or at least air them in both US and AU.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why cant the US version do this??? Or at least air them in both US and AU.
Rumor was 39 was gonna be Canada vs America since it was the first season they could cast Canadians. They ended up casting one Canadian (former Rangers captain Tom Laidlaw) While I don't think it will be 50, they now have a pretty strong pool of Canadian players to attempt this a bit down the line. People like Maryanne, Venus, Omar, and Kaleb are often talked about as returnees and while not a big personality, Erika is the first winner of the new era. A couple more seasons and quality casting I could see USA production doing it.

My guess on while the US version wouldn't do it is there have been issues casting non-Americans (no idea what it is, but probably related to how Burnett sold the rights for international versions). Combined with they likely want to use their own homegrown players.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Rumor was 39 was gonna be Canada vs America since it was the first season they could cast Canadians. They ended up casting one Canadian (former Rangers captain Tom Laidlaw) While I don't think it will be 50, they now have a pretty strong pool of Canadian players to attempt this a bit down the line. People like Maryanne, Venus, Omar, and Kaleb are often talked about as returnees and while not a big personality, Erika is the first winner of the new era. A couple more seasons and quality casting I could see USA production doing it.

My guess on while the US version wouldn't do it is there have been issues casting non-Americans (no idea what it is, but probably related to how Burnett sold the rights for international versions). Combined with they likely want to use their own homegrown players.
How could you forget to mention THE Kane

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How could you forget to mention THE Kane
haha, I remember Kane, he just doesn't scream returnee to me, would be happy for him if he did. But, if they did Canada vs USA that's a theme I could see him sneaking in on. To be honest, the white male demographic for Canadian Survivor players is pretty lacking, it consists of Tom Laidlaw and Kane. On top of that, they haven't cast a Canadian woman who wouldn't qualify as POC under Survivor's definition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad