Post-Game Talk: Survey says...

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What analysis did you bring to the table? You literally made a statement with nothing backing it up.

I've made the statement before and backed it up. It's pretty easy to confirm.

As a 21-22 year old playing half a season Sheahan put up 9 goals.
As a 22-23 year old Sheahan put up 13 goals.

As a 22-23 year old playing half a season Abby put up 3 goals.
As a 23-24 year old Abdelkader put up 7 goals.

So over the same period at a younger age Sheahan scored double the number of goals Abby scored. He's clearly a better goal scorer than Abdelkader and it's not even close. Sheahan will probably have the worst season of his career this year, however I suspect that will be the case for most of the guys on this roster during Blashill's first season. I suspect that like Abdelkader and Filppula, Sheahan will produce more points on the wing than he ever will as a center. Sheahan has a better shot than Abby and he can play the same net-front game and win battles along the boards to maintain possession of the puck.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
It's pertinent because decision-making is supposed to be his one strength. He doesn't add offense, he's not a great skater, and he's not really physical. So if you struggle against a forecheck you aren't really able to use what is supposedly your best asset. At least Jensen gives you a righty - we only have Marchenko right now with Green out - and a guy who can skate the puck out of harm's way. I don't want to oversell Jensen, my main point is I'd like to at least see how he looks in real NHL games. The Wings have given Ouellet and Marchenko a decent amount of starts in Detroit and they've both added little if anything to our awful defense.

I think Ouellet's getting underrated at this point, he made the team (in Babs eyes) last season. He possess's a good outlet pass (and overall good vision and decision making), and isn't afraid of playing physical. Call me crazy but I think that having a defenseman who is calm, good positionally, doesn't panic, and makes solid outlet passes would be an upgrade over one of Smith/Kindl on the bottom pair.

Actual Thought*

So over the same period at a younger age Sheahan scored double the number of goals Abby scored. He's clearly a better goal scorer than Abdelkader and it's not even close. Sheahan will probably have the worst season of his career this year, however I suspect that will be the case for most of the guys on this roster during Blashill's first season. I suspect that like Abdelkader and Filppula, Sheahan will produce more points on the wing than he ever will as a center. Sheahan has a better shot than Abby and he can play the same net-front game and win battles along the boards to maintain possession of the puck.

Abby and Sheehan are apples and oranges. One is physical and uses his size and the other isn't physical and gives up his size. One is a winger and one is a center. You cannot look at stats and come up with a comparison of the two players and have any hope of being accurate. Tatar and Abby have the same number of points. Are they similar players? No.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Your analysis is solely based on goals?

Sheahan and Abby don't really play anything alike for the most part. Sheahan is a center. Abby is a winger. Sheahan is more of a playmaker than a goalscorer while Abby is more of a goalscorer than a playmaker. Abby is a physical player while Sheahan is not.

They both play in front of the net on the PP and that's about where the comparison ends.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

Abby wasnt' really given an offensive role of any sorts when he first came up here, and for quite a while, if I remember correctly. Sheahan was at least 3C, at worst situation. It was due to Sheahan having more soft touch around the puck and bit more playmaking ability in him. Was Sheahan better goal scorer and it wasn't even close? I dont agree.

Im not sure if Sheahan will convert to purely power forward, net front guy like Abby. Abby was kinda struggling to find his niche and got his after some trial and errors. Sheahan's role is kinda pretty clear right now.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think Ouellet's getting underrated at this point, he made the team (in Babs eyes) last season. He possess's a good outlet pass (and overall good vision and decision making), and isn't afraid of playing physical. Call me crazy but I think that having a defenseman who is calm, good positionally, doesn't panic, and makes solid outlet passes would be an upgrade over one of Smith/Kindl on the bottom pair.

Thats not even him laying out big joe after making a slick pass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad