Salary Cap: Surprised myself looking at next year

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Riley Nash has been solid but if he’s in for a big bump then by all means I wish him the best going forward in free agency.

Sweeney has done a great job with this roster and he has the youth ready to come in to take a swing at any position.

Backes can hold down 3C if JFK Studnika Frederic aren’t ready yet

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Riley nash might be ready for his first payday. I wont blame him if he tries to find a 3-4 year offer at 3 mill or better

If hes forced to take another 1 year deal i welcome him back with open arms

Fair enough AOF, thank you for your response and have a good one.. Bruins catch Philly on a back to back, hopefully 5th win in 5 of 6 home games..

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Sure but you just added 6 million to the cap. Charlie's new deal will probably add another 5 or 6. Then DeBrusk needs a new deal the next year. The cap might go up enough to make it not matter. Who knows.

Yeah so that’s 11 million tops after next season i’m Thinking. Definitely a lot, but if the cap goes up 6 total and you lose mcquaids cap and the beleskey 1.9 that’s close. Like 1 more million to figure out

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
soon contracts will be getting signed... we will be knowing the cap any time now... ufa is just a couple weeks away

the drake caggula signing in edmonto yesterday isn't a good sign for anyone. is he worth more than sean kuraly? I had kuraly at around 1.1 I think.

400k here... 400k there.... it adds up quick.

i would like to hear some rumors leaked... are we talking to rick nash? riley? i don't think weve heard a word about it yet... have we?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why is heinen the odd man out here? He just put up 47 points in 77 games on our 3rd line. Yes he struggled in the playoffs but our entire 3rd line was garbage. Also heinen has penalty kill capabilities. Really don’t understand why he’s the odd man out after putting up those numbers in his first full season.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Why is heinen the odd man out here? He just put up 47 points in 77 games on our 3rd line. Yes he struggled in the playoffs but our entire 3rd line was garbage. Also heinen has penalty kill capabilities. Really don’t understand why he’s the odd man out after putting up those numbers in his first full season.

he might not be... but heres how the bruins should be looking at things

they start with marchand… is he going anywhere?

they move on to a group of 3 more guys... debrusk/donato/Heinen... are they sure which of these guys is best? or are they projecting to all be potentially best?

they start to factor in cap management... are any of debrusk/donato/Heinen likely to cost less than 3 mill a year in another 3 seasons? would any cost less than 3 mill in 2 seasons?

they start to ask themselves who is the first one to get the raise?

they start to ask... who brings something the others don't?

who can be moved to the off wing?

they start to look at guys like Bjork and cehlarik and others... will they be cheaper alternatives on a 3rd line? will they fill the spots over at rw?

they start to ask themselves... if a couple guys do need to be traded... who would be able to bring back the biggest return?

the bruins might end up with a different answer than i do... they might decide Heinen is needed to be kept here. maybe they will decide to trade debrusk… or donato…

but i am certain of one thing... not everyone has room to stay. the cap only has so much stretch to it. good players require money. at some point soon these guys will be off their elc and some will have to be moved because we cant pay 4th liners 3 mill a year and theres simply too many guys for the few available jobs on the top lines

Bergeron/pastrnak/marchand are not going to be replaced by any of these kids... and krejci/backes might be untradable.. the number of high paying jobs has gone from 9 to 5 if these 5 guys are employed

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
soon contracts will be getting signed... we will be knowing the cap any time now... ufa is just a couple weeks away

the drake caggula signing in edmonto yesterday isn't a good sign for anyone. is he worth more than sean kuraly? I had kuraly at around 1.1 I think.

I would say, from a production standpoint, yes he is worth more money than Kuraly. I like Kuraly a lot and want him on my 4th, but Caggulia put up 13 goals last season. Kuraly had 14 points.

0.30 PPG > 0.19 PPG

I think Kuraly comes in right around 1M, even after this Caggulia signing.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
the bryan rust deal today illustrates a concern ive been espressing this past few months about why danton Heinen isn't likely long for the team

for those who didn't see bryan rust got 3.5 mill x 3 years today after 1 season with more than 30 points

this comes just a year after jean Gabriel pageau got 3.1 mill x 3 for the same production level

cost for small shifty defensive responsible 40 point 3rd liners is going up faster than the cap can keep up

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
the bryan rust deal today illustrates a concern ive been espressMaybe ing this past few months about why danton Heinen isn't likely long for the team

for those who didn't see bryan rust got 3.5 mill x 3 years today after 1 season with more than 30 points

this comes just a year after jean Gabriel pageau got 3.1 mill x 3 for the same production level

cost for small shifty defensive responsible 40 point 3rd liners is going up faster than the cap can keep up

Look at it this way.

If all 4 of Debrusk, Heinen, Donato, and Bjork come even close to their projected ceilings, they simply can't keep all of them long-term, not with Marchand and Pastrnak already signed for the foreseeable future.

Maybe you can bridge contract some of them to keep all of them around longer, but at some point something will have to give. You can't tie up 20 million or so in your 3rd to 6th best wingers.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Look at it this way.

If all 4 of Debrusk, Heinen, Donato, and Bjork come even close to their projected ceilings, they simply can't keep all of them long-term, not with Marchand and Pastrnak already signed for the foreseeable future.

Maybe you can bridge contract some of them to keep all of them around longer, but at some point something will have to give. You can't tie up 20 million or so in your 3rd to 6th best wingers.

Yes this is true, and if they come close to their potential, they are going to be exceptionally valuable chips in trades to eithe return more picks , prospects, or to consolidate 2 or 3 into one better player.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Look at it this way.

its coming at us like a freight train... of course I could be wrong about which guy goes. ive never felt certain which ones will be the best of the lot

to this day... you throw all 4 in a hat... I wont be surprised if any one of them emerges as the best...

but just the way the contracts are structured... who expires first... who has the best case for the bigget raise the earliest... who is playing the most important role on the team...

mix in the center guys... jfk… federic… studnicka… seems pretty clear to me they cant all end up at center. it they hit, some will be in the mix for winger as well. and senyshyn can still be in the mix too

to me this is 8 guys I feel will all command more than a million dollars on their second contract. I think each guy will do enough on his elc to warrant a raise. none of these guys strike me as 4th line plugs

the team will need to figure out soon what the long term plans are with these guys and look to deal some of them when value is maximized. trading under the gun rarely works out for the best

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
cap friendly is finally up and running.

the number now for 11 forwards... 8 dmen… 2 goalies is 74 mill 15 thousand

we still have kuraly and I guess chris wagner to sign. wagner doesn't seem official yet

so we should end up around 76 million for our full 23 man roster

seems like we still need to make adjustment. seems we still need an experienced top 6 winger for krejci/debrusk. seems one of Bjork/Heinen/donato still need to go... and one of McQuaid/miller/grezlyk

our cap has a bit of wiggle room but not a lot so id expect it to be one of the more expensive dmen to go for the needed winger

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
4 RFA next year

McAvoy
Carlo
Donato
Heinen

Could be near 20 M

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
4 RFA next year

McAvoy
Carlo
Donato
Heinen

Could be near 20 M

I kept thinking we could give out 1 year contracts but not more than 1 year

so obviously the team is thinking something different then I am. im very curious to see what happens next. the guys we were after... Tavares... kovalchuk… jvr… are we still after someone like that?

if we are... who is going out to make it affordable?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
with wagner added to the 22 man roster we are now at 75, 265,667... adding kuraly should take us to around 76.5 mill and complete our 23 man roster

with the overage penalty from last year this will give us around 3 mill cap space to help cover the rookie bonus money guys like McAvoy and donato may earn

our dollars are now spent... any further additions to the team will require dollar in/dollar out or will be borrowed against next years cap room very likely

I see only one roster spot open for competion at camp the way things are set up today... Bjork may not have his spot nailed down.

any other surprises... would have to be considered a surprise

it might take an injury to get guys like jfk or zboril any icetime with the big team this year

im still waiting for a trade... but things really filled up fast here... there might not be any trade in the works

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I would say, from a production standpoint, yes he is worth more money than Kuraly. I like Kuraly a lot and want him on my 4th, but Caggulia put up 13 goals last season. Kuraly had 14 points.

0.30 PPG > 0.19 PPG

I think Kuraly comes in right around 1M, even after this Caggulia signing.

its always a good idea to take whatever number you think is reasonable... and add at least 20%

but it was a 3 year deal... probably neither of us thought he would get 3 years.

I had him at 2 years for around 1.1 back a few months ago. and as recently as sunday i was giving him 1.25 on a 1 year deal in the above post... but if I had known 3 years was in the cards I would have been more than ok at 1.25 all along

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
as of today we got 23 guys signed... 13 forwards and 8 dmen… going to cost us 76, 540,667

giving us 2,959,333 million unspent cap room

potential bonus money is 3,737,500

this... looks like a done deal to me

the possible krug deal could still shake things up... but krejci and backs have ntc… and with Tavares off the table they are likely staying

so whats our depth chart/line combo?

pastrnak/Bergeron/marchand
donato or Bjork/krejci/debrusk
backes/kuraly/Heinen
accairi/wagner/Nordstrom

McAvoy/moore
carlo/chara
miller/krug
McQuaid/grezlyck

the most likely guy to not make the team... probably Bjork

the most likely guy to fight for a spot... maybe fitzgerald or bakos… could mcneil shock everyone and finally get it together?

could pastrnak join krejci to balance the offense? will Heinen slip over to center and give the 3rd line more scoring potential?

can the 4th line live up to the good performance we got from schaller last year?

I think we are weaker on paper this year than last... but theres a lot of young kids that might improve.

im not too impressed if we don't add someone still... but the cap room is spent and theres raises due to a lot of important players next year.

I think any improvements now have to come from the kids

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
as tom Wilson gets his 31 mill 6 year deal after his career best year saw him pick up 35 points in 78 games playing with 2 superstars

do we re-evaluate the value of david backes and his 33 points last year in 57 games for 6 mill cap hit?

I know who is 10 times the better defensive player. Wilson throws more dirty hits... but is that worth the money?

wilsons career best offensive season is worst than backes career worst season lol

but now we are all suppose to think that backes and big physical guys like this that can play 15 mins a night and chip in 40 points wouldn't get this money on the market? that a guy like backes is untradable because no one is willing to pay for a guy like this?

I suggest this puts lucics contract into prospective too.

Reactions: BBruins

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If Carlo wants a 1 or 2 year deal maybe. Long term a young top 4 D will not be signed for 3 million.

Matheson, Pesce, Slavin. We'll see what Skjei gets.

Trouba got under 3 for 2 years so the comparable would be closer to there.

after trouba was bridged for those 2 years he certainly fought hard at arbitration to max out his next deal under bitter circumstances and has told Winnipeg that he isn't coming back when he hits ufa now

im not sure that's the example we want.

the skjei deal just came down... a guy that has 2 seasons of hockey under his belt at age 24 and averages slightly over 30 points.

if im carlos agent I start my ask around 4x4 if boston wants a short deal. the money goes up a lot if free agent years are included

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
after trouba was bridged for those 2 years he certainly fought hard at arbitration to max out his next deal under bitter circumstances and has told Winnipeg that he isn't coming back when he hits ufa now

im not sure that's the example we want.

the skjei deal just came down... a guy that has 2 seasons of hockey under his belt at age 24 and averages slightly over 30 points.

if im carlos agent I start my ask around 4x4 if boston wants a short deal. the money goes up a lot if free agent years are included

4 x 4 is awful for Boston. Takes him right to UFA. 3 or 5+. I see a 2-3 year deal looking for Carlo to prove his offense and get paid.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
codi ceci files his salary arbitration asking for 6 million... 92 points in 366 games or around 20 points per season.

6 million????

he probably will only get around 4.5 but this has to be a cautionary tale for those thinking McAvoy and carlo wont get paid

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
starting to look like it might be closer to 8 mill instead of the 6 we were thinking last year...

yes yes I know everyone will tell me he wont get 8 and they will laugh

that's what im talking about... a lot of people here are going to be horribly shocked

Shocked, dumbfounded, in awe...... Mouths will be hanging open while you stand at the top of the mountain, "I told you so!" 6M? 8M? Somewhere in between. McAvoy will be worth the deal so I won't care either way. If he goes out there and continues to solidify himself as a top pairing defenseman, 8M will be worth it.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Shocked, dumbfounded, in awe...... Mouths will be hanging open while you stand at the top of the mountain, "I told you so!" 6M? 8M? Somewhere in between. McAvoy will be worth the deal so I won't care either way. If he goes out there and continues to solidify himself as a top pairing defenseman, 8M will be worth it.

you are going to get a lot of arguments... but that's ok I guess if you are prepared for it

of course in 2-3 years everyone will say they agreed with you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad