Salary Cap: Surprised myself looking at next year

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
At cap friendly they have a cool arm chair gm feature that allows you to build a fantasy roster for your team... and keeps track of the cap for you

So i wanted to see... can we resign nash? How much can we give chara? Does it make any sense to bring back khoklachev? Where do donato and bjork and karlsson fit in?

Honestly i thought things might be complicated as i felt there was a cap crunch coming but sweeney has done an amazing job lining up our ducks. Heres some of the moves i made next year and the cap works :)

Nash 3x5
Chara 1x4.5
Khoklachev 1x2
Kuraly 2x1.1
Schaller 1x1.1
Wingles 1x1.1
Grezlyk 2x1.1

This will give us a 23 man roster at just a bit under 76 mill

Marchand/bergeron/pastrnak
Debrusk/krecji/nash
Heinen/khoklachev/backes
Schaller/kuraly/accari
Bjork/wingles

Chara/mcavoy
Krug/carlo
Gryzlyk/miller
Mcquaid

Rask
Mcintyre

I dont have donato on the team but if he signs we can figure that out... khoklachev might have a problem holding off jfk for the 3rd line center but we can afford to put khoklachev in ahl or back in russia if he cant win the job

I was worried about cap hit in 2019-20 but mcquaids deal expires... jimmy hayes buyout is finished... and chara qualifies for a bonus. We will be able to resign mcavoy and carlo

Basically we can have everything we want

Sweeney really did a hell of a job

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Khoko isn't playing center in the KHL. If he comes back, I see him as a wing here too.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I tossed him in as an example of our flexibility. Personally i felt more sure about soderberg coming. I do think its a bit iffy counting on a rookie like jfk to play top 9 center without vetern competition.

If koko doesnt project as a center... our winger depth is jacked. No room at the inn there

Maybe we should ask florida if theyd take a couple of our wingers for bjugstad... it might be tight but i actually think we have the cap flexibility for a guy like this

Or boone jenner maybe?

Reactions: Thrive

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
At cap friendly they have a cool arm chair gm feature that allows you to build a fantasy roster for your team... and keeps track of the cap for you

So i wanted to see... can we resign nash? How much can we give chara? Does it make any sense to bring back khoklachev? Where do donato and bjork and karlsson fit in?

Honestly i thought things might be complicated as i felt there was a cap crunch coming but sweeney has done an amazing job lining up our ducks. Heres some of the moves i made next year and the cap works :)

Nash 3x5
Chara 1x4.5
Khoklachev 1x2
Kuraly 2x1.1
Schaller 1x1.1
Wingles 1x1.1
Grezlyk 2x1.1

This will give us a 23 man roster at just a bit under 76 mill

Marchand/bergeron/pastrnak
Debrusk/krecji/nash
Heinen/khoklachev/backes
Schaller/kuraly/accari
Bjork/wingles

Chara/mcavoy
Krug/carlo
Gryzlyk/miller
Mcquaid

Rask
Mcintyre

I dont have donato on the team but if he signs we can figure that out... khoklachev might have a problem holding off jfk for the 3rd line center but we can afford to put khoklachev in ahl or back in russia if he cant win the job

I was worried about cap hit in 2019-20 but mcquaids deal expires... jimmy hayes buyout is finished... and chara qualifies for a bonus. We will be able to resign mcavoy and carlo

Basically we can have everything we want

Sweeney really did a hell of a job
Sweenius

1000 NHL games

Economics degree Harvard.

Visionary

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Well the cap is easy next season sure. But after that McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen and JFK all come off ELC.

Thats what i was preaching for the past year... but some stuff is changing on the fly

Moving beleskey can be a huge thing... maybe even bigger is this projected cap increase by as much as 5 mill

Mcquaids contract is coming to an end soon... our next 7th dman will be 2 mill cheaper

There will be plenty of money for carlo/mcavoy even if we do sign nash

As for heinen... will it make sense to pay him? Is he going to be that much better than bjork and donato?

With marchand/debrusk/donato its hard to imagine theres room for heinen or bjork on lw

And if we sign nash... pastrnak/nash/backes is pretty loaded on rw

We might need to seriously shop bjork, heinen, senshyn and see just what 3rd line young centers are available?

We are sitting pretty with a ton of very good options to pick from.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Thrive

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I agree in thinking that Heinen is the odd man out (eventually) if Nash re-signs and Donato/Bjork live up to expectations, but I don’t think there is any rush this offseason to shop him. Backes can play 3rd line center if JFK isn’t up to snuff. Donato - while looking like a sure-thing stud - isn’t a sure thing at the NHL level yet. Senyshyn is learning the full 200 foot game down in Providence and accounts by those that have watched him have reported good signs of progression - he also has the benefit of time to round out his game with the log jam of talent up in Boston.

This is a great “problem” to have and is a true testament to the amazing job Sweeney has done turning this organization around on the fly. I too am giddy about the future (and the now - how ‘bout them Broons!) and haven’t been this excited about the outlook of the organization as a whole in a long time (probably never this excited about the outlook during the O’Connell or Chiarelli eras).

Reactions: bbfan419

AM Bruin

The Early Worm
Feb 20, 2015
Out on a limb.
Perhaps another option as well is to look at moving Krejci in the offseason. I'm not sure what the nmc or no trade ramifications are but trading a still productive second line center approaching his declining years could return us some younger pieces / cap space.

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Do not want Khoklachev at any price.

Not even remotely shocked by this comment. Extensive scouting of Khokhlachev?

9 NHL games is enough to know what you have in a player.

Give me Khokhlachev back any day of the week. A young player who still has upside. Just under a PPG in one of the top leagues in the world is nothing to scoff at.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
And what if the Rangers buy out Beleskey? That's another buck-and-a-half of room, right? With the shared cost, I can't imagine the Rangers don't already have that plan.

I hope they don’t. Bruins can absorb next year of Beleskey.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I hope they don’t. Bruins can absorb next year of Beleskey.
Is $500K for a couple of years really that much of a hindrance though? Less of a cap hit over two years than we gain next season alone.

To each their own I suppose, but I'd much rather spend $2.5M on a player that's not playing for me than $3.8M.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Perhaps another option as well is to look at moving Krejci in the offseason. I'm not sure what the nmc or no trade ramifications are but trading a still productive second line center approaching his declining years could return us some younger pieces / cap space.
Why would Krejci want to move? What's the incentive? He's already won a cup and is on a team that contend for the next few years.

By your own admission he is still a productive second line center. Who has the talent to replace him? Sure you would save cap space, but if he is, in fact, approaching his "declining years", who'se going to shell out seven million plus large for that?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'd prefer Backes at 3C, with some combination of Heinen Bjork Donato JFK on his wings

Interested to see what Frederic will do in camp

I think it's time Sweeney chooses between Miller/ McQuaid for his 3rd pairing dman

Will Zboril or Lauzon be ready to apply pressure for that 3rd pairing LD spot?

Senyshyn Donato JFK Frederic Bjork, where do these guys fit? Trade chips? If so, for what position? A 2nd pairing LD?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I think if they move Krejci for younger assets, they have an idea they can sign Tavares. I think JT would jump at the chance to sign with the Bruins and take less money to come here, he knows they will be a legit contender for a while and he absolutely admires Bergeron and hates playing against him. Tavares and Bergeron as your top 2 centers...sign me up.

Last edited:

AM Bruin

The Early Worm
Feb 20, 2015
Out on a limb.
Why would Krejci want to move? What's the incentive? He's already won a cup and is on a team that contend for the next few years.

By your own admission he is still a productive second line center. Who has the talent to replace him? Sure you would save cap space, but if he is, in fact, approaching his "declining years", who'se going to shell out seven million plus large for that?
It's always better to move a player just before health, production issues start to minimize a players worth. Krejci would be a great asset for a rebuilding team.

You don't think there's value for a team looking for an experienced Centre? In a perfect world it would be great to be able to keep everyobe but the roster needs changeover at times in a cap world.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
It's always better to move a player just before health, production issues start to minimize a players worth. Krejci would be a great asset for a rebuilding team.

You don't think there's value for a team looking for an experienced Centre? In a perfect world it would be great to be able to keep everyobe but the roster needs changeover at times in a cap world.
You still haven't answered my question re: incentive. If another team could offer more money, sure, that would count. But the acquiring team is bound by the contract in place.

David is happy here, that's your answer.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Only McAvoy will get paid a lot from this group.

Well, yes, McAvoy is going to get PAID. He will likely be over 7 longterm

But Heinen and Carlo will likely not be cheap. I expect both may be over 3 million on the next deal, although perhaps as Carlo is so young he is a bit less on a bridge

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Mcquaid will be moved for sure . Almost every team in the league would play him and a handful of teams will pay his salary to get him .I love Adam but no point in keeping him here to wear a suit when he can still play regular minutes elsewhere . Please not to rival though I don't want to go against him several times a year .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad