WWE: Surivor Series: WarGames 2023

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The number of true "draws" in the traditional sense of the word in wrestling there are maybe a handful in like all of wrestling now. It doesn't happen over night and typically doesn't happen until you are well established and into your prime. AEW needs to use the Moxley's Danielsons and Omegas to establish the younger group to be in a position to carry the company forward for the next decade. So while they aren't established "draws" AEW has plenty of young wrestlers in and around the main event scene. Along with that what young main event draw does WWE have? Who is their MJF?
Can't really compare AEW with WWE. WWE is established and not going anywhere. They have the name brand. WWE has been on the upswing as well while AEW ratings are on the decline.

Agreed. AEW should be using those guys to establish their younger talent but so far they have failed to do so. Like I said in a previous post, booking is their number 1 problem, and I don't see how that will get fixed.

They had a ton of momentum when they signed Danielson, Punk, and Cole but they pissed it away and other than raising MJF's stature they didn't do much with it.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Ospreay went over Jericho at Wembley. Omega has put over Takeshita multiple times and lost to MJF clean over the past few months. Orange Cassidy just beat Moxley clean at the last PPV. I don’t get this talking point.

The boogeyman (Vince) that drove some away is gone. There’s only so much time in a week for wrestling. That’s a perfectly fine justification to pay attention to one rather than other. AEW doesn’t need to be failing in some way.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnS

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Punk was the dbag (not that the YB are without blame) but AEaw fumbled the bag? GTFO

Punk is undoubtedly a douchebag. That being said, there are many douchebags in wrestling.

AEW's (And really Tony's) failure is having zero structure and allowing the douchebags to run the asylum. For the most part, it doesn't result in actual conflict because all the top douchebags are friends, which is why the issues with Punk came to a head.

Did Punk handle things well? No. Should the issues that arose on a regular basis have even been something Punk should've had to address? No. If Tony would've actually controlled his locker room, this shit probably doesn't happen. So viewing it from that angle, yes, he fumbled the bag.

Reactions: Nemesis Prime

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Moxley is 37 years old. That is smack in the middle of your prime as a wrestler. Edge and Christian are in a mid card feud and have never been main eventers in AEW(though Christian is one of the best things in the company week in week out). Future of the company you have MJF, Ospreay, Jay White, Swerve, Hangman just off the top of my head that are in their early 30's to mid 20's. There is also Darby, OC and the Acclaimed. AEW has their issues but I honestly feel like people at this point are just repeating the same talking points over and over whether they are true or not.
When Jay White, Hangman, and OC are among the top names for the future of the company, you have an issue. These are guys that can be as over as they want with AEW's core viewer group, but don't draw a dime outside it.

MJF is obviously a star and Swerve has potential to be one. Darby reminds me of a mid 2000s Jeff Hardy, who would've probably been a major star in WWE if not for his issues. (Issues Darby obviously doesn't have) Problem is, Darby wrestles a reckless style that probably doesn't have much shelf life.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
Curious if you think a single person outside the wrestling world (And many in it) knows who the f*** Orange Cassidy is?
I dont know, you could say the same thing about Seth Rollins... Cena, Reigns and that level of guy are main stream.

The whole not a draw thing is thrown around a lot however with no data. Seems more opinion than fact.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I dont know, you could say the same thing about Seth Rollins... Cena, Reigns and that level of guy are main stream.

The whole not a draw thing is thrown around a lot however with no data. Seems more opinion than fact.

If your argument is "If Orange Cassidy isn't a draw than neither is Seth Rollins", then we can just stop right now. Seth Rollins is a much bigger draw than Orange Cassidy ever has been and very likely ever will be.

But hey, if you want "Main stream" stuff, Rollins did the schedule release video for the Bears and apparently has a role in the next Captain America movie. (I'm sure it's not a major one) What kind of big outside AEW stuff has Orange Cassidy done?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Punk in wrestling is so much fun. Whatever company it is, huge return and I hope he does great things. Whatever issues or real life beefs he has is not my business or problem. Just hope this time it works out.

I for one, am certainly amped that he's back again.

Pro wrestling. Damn. Sometimes it just be like that i guess. These two companies just trading stars left and right, swapping problems, signing big names. Seems the momentum has been swinging back to the WWE side for a while, this certainly helps too.

I don’t think Punk ever wrestles again if not for his aew run. Just too bad he couldn’t play nice cuz i think there was a shit ton of money to be made over there if he was patient

As it stands now, he’s a mega star in todays wwe at least

IIRC his contract was something around 3 million/year in AEW?

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
IIRC his contract was something around 3 million/year in AEW?

I thought it was five or six, but I could be wrong.

For some reason I specifically remember a clip where Dave named the price and said that Moxley had a favored nations clause establishing that if anybody signed after his deal for more money, he'd get matched, and that Punk's deal brought Moxley's money up by about a million.

I just can't remember if Dave said Moxley was making $5M and bumped up to $6M, or he was making $4M and Punk bumped him to $5M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad