TV: Superstore

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I started watching this as it's on Amazon Prime in Canada. I find it pretty great,and amazed I hadn't heard much buzz on it. I'd seen commercials, but no one I knew was really talking about it.

I'm a few episodes into season 2. Cast is great. When I worked retail, there was a manager I had very similar to Mark McKinney's character that I always felt would have been the great basis for a tv or movie character.

This is a great series to watch for me right now during quarantine. Just fun, silly humour, that captures much of that retail experience.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
If Ferrera stuck around I think they could easily get 2 or 3 more seasons but now I think next season will probably be the last for this great show. :(

I hate to say " I told you so " but......

from deadline.com:

Cloud 9 is closing for good as NBC's Superstore is coming to an end with its sixth season.

The network is ending the show after this current run – taking the total number of episodes of the single-camera comedy to 113.

It comes after America Ferrera departed the show earlier this season. Ferrera, who was set to exit at the end of season five, guest starred in the first two episodes of this season, which returned at the end of October.

The show returns on Thursday January 14 at 8:30pm with 11 more episodes to air this season.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I hate to say " I told you so " but......

from deadline.com:

Cloud 9 is closing for good as NBC's Superstore is coming to an end with its sixth season.

The network is ending the show after this current run – taking the total number of episodes of the single-camera comedy to 113.

It comes after America Ferrera departed the show earlier this season. Ferrera, who was set to exit at the end of season five, guest starred in the first two episodes of this season, which returned at the end of October.

The show returns on Thursday January 14 at 8:30pm with 11 more episodes to air this season.

That's a real shame. The show seemed extra relevant during the pandemic given the impact on front line retail work. It's a shame it didn't get a bigger audience.

Are there any other decent workplace comedies out there? Given that The Office is still massively popular, you'd think the genre would still work, but there's not much out there.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Recently started this (halfway through season 3 now), of course it gets canceled. Very funny show even w/the annoying characters I want to smack.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Just finished binge watching the first 5 seasons on Netflix, heard nothing coming into it and put it on as background noise...I was pleasantly surprised. The show is hilarious, has a solid themes without being overbearing, and interesting storylines.

Tate that Pharmacist was my favourite character the first couple seasons.

They handled Jonah and Amy really well, and I hope with season 6 being their last that they got a solid wrap up to that storyline. The only unrealistic thing is Jonah sticking around for 6 years as a frontline worker despite having a degree, wouldn't someone like that either move up quickly or leave? Though part of me thinks it's also touching on how he formed friendships and enjoys the company of the people he works with, finding it difficult to cut those ties and move on.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Just finished binge watching the first 5 seasons on Netflix, heard nothing coming into it and put it on as background noise...I was pleasantly surprised. The show is hilarious, has a solid themes without being overbearing, and interesting storylines.

Tate that Pharmacist was my favourite character the first couple seasons.

They handled Jonah and Amy really well, and I hope with season 6 being their last that they got a solid wrap up to that storyline. The only unrealistic thing is Jonah sticking around for 6 years as a frontline worker despite having a degree, wouldn't someone like that either move up quickly or leave? Though part of me thinks it's also touching on how he formed friendships and enjoys the company of the people he works with, finding it difficult to cut those ties and move on.

He dropped out quickly, and even still plenty of people with degrees go nowhere professionally.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I'm definitely a bit disappointed with season 6 being the last. Being on Netflix finally gave the show some exposure that they weren't getting before. Being a viewer from the get go, it definitely felt like the show was underrated and just lacked exposure to a wider audience.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I also got into this show this year, binging it over the last month or two. Part of me is glad that it is ending.

North American TV tends to try to hold on longer than its expiration date, with a lot of regrettable final seasons being produced (e.g. Community, Scrubs, That 70s Show, etc.).

The writing is top notch and the show should go out on a high note. Brooklyn 99 is also ending which I am pleased about for the same reason.

Jonah is my favourite character because he's such a terrific lampooning of the hipster white liberal (of which I am one).

Everyone I know has started watching it (largely by word of mouth) so it'll end up having that kind of Arrested Development notoriety of being more popular well after it originally aired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thucydides

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Looks like the hour long series finale is this week...

I sometimes get a little sad when a show comes to an end that I've invested so much time in, and I think that'll be the case with Superstore

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Looks like the hour long series finale is this week...

2 separate episodes ( Perfect Store and All Sales Final ) wrap things up. :(

MY4LUPHP6JHVTKF7CYZA5XMKA4.jpg

Reactions: Perennial

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I was a huge Kids In The Hall fan but I cant stand Mark McKinney in this show. That voice is actually painful to hear.

He was annoying at first but quickly became one of my favorite characters, and the voice probably helped :laugh:

Dave Foley was awful in his recent guest star appearance...

It might not be his best work, but I thought he was hilarious.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I absolutely love this show. I'm okay with it ending as six seasons is enough to tell a story and appreciate all the characters. It has become an all-time favorite sitcom for me, towards the top of my non-existent list.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I couldn’t, I hated the character so much. So unfunny and the religious shit gets old just as fast as the voice.

The religious stuff wained on me much moreso. Not that I'm a "oh you can't joke about religion" sort, but it just seems like a lazy way to go most the time. That opinion definitely excludes Flanders, who is tremendous and hilarious.

Reactions: Mantis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad