SuperLeague a done deal (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Wasn't there something earlier that Spurs wouldn't be making a statement today? Then they probably realized how horrific it would be to be the only club left holding the bag when everyone else bolted.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

Chairman Daniel Levy said: “We regret the anxiety and upset caused by the ESL proposal. We felt it was important that our club participated in the development of a possible new structure that sought to better ensure financial fair play and financial sustainability whilst delivering significantly increased support for the wider football pyramid.
“We believe that we should never stand still and that the sport should constantly review competitions and governance to ensure the game we all love continues to evolve and excite fans around the world.
“We should like to thank all those supporters who presented their considered opinions.”

ah classic Jeff Bezos

Reactions: Jack Straw

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
There has been talk of power 5 + Notre Dame breaking away from NCAA, so they sort of do.
The talk has been about all sports except basketball. There would still be backlash, but a Power 5 split makes more sense in college football, especially with potential of paying athletes coming in the future. And it would really just be them creating a different division within NCAA, similar to how it was previously split between 1-A and 1-AA.
P5+ND would be more akin to the EPL breaking away. It's still going to have Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Kansas, Illinois, Rutgers, and other football slugs that are near-guaranteed wins right now for their conference brethren. The comparison to the proposed SuperLeague would be the literal top 10-15 programs + ND splitting off.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
It has to be said, Arsenal's statement is by far the best of the bunch. Spurs and Liverpool were awful.

Ehh, as an Arsenal fan, it means nothing to me. There is no possible high road any of these teams can take at this point. And to me there is no difference between any of them. Get rid of all the owners.

Reactions: Evilo

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Watching Redmen TV. Mundodeportivio are claiming UEFA offered the English teams money to pull out. This offer supposedly has not reached the Spanish clubs as they are seen as the enemy in this

Reactions: Elliman

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Watching Redmen TV. Mundodeportivio are claiming UEFA offered the English teams money to pull out. This offer supposedly has not reached the Spanish clubs as they are seen as the enemy in this
Yeah well it's Mundodeportivo.
Just last week they were saying Neymar wanted to go back to Barca as he was penceling his extension with PSG.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Yeah well it's Mundodeportivo.
Just last week they were saying Neymar wanted to go back to Barca as he was penceling his extension with PSG.

I suppose. No clue about Spanish media, don't trust them in general though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I’m not surprised they’re mad. Their fans and players and some of the managers forced their hand. Shouldn’t expect anything from garbage like them.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Outrage from fans and Congress.

Basketball, meaning March Madness, definitely is lucrative enough. As long as it is, the P5 won't leave the NCAA, at least not entirely.

The ESL died in less than two days. I told you before -- if you start a coup, don't fail. This one failed about as bad as a coup possibly can.

Congress? Depends who's involved in the committee. Last time, during the BCS turmoil, the congressmen involved didn't seem to have a clue what was going on.

The P5 basketball tournament would house most of the big time basketball programs as it is. If anything, competition would be tougher.

Yeah, it'd be kind of disappointing to see MM die but it is nowhere near lucrative enough to stop big time college football. It's not even close.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
What a farce this has been lol
I mean, to be fair, when’s the last time a non English, Italian, Spanish club and Bayern won the CL? 2003..
Porto 2004

Tremendous response from the players, pundits, managers ( Guardiola and the shade he threw at it included ), federations, and government institutions. Not to mention fans.

The dominoes have fallen, with the added repercussions of several resignations.

Woodward leaving is a huge win for Man United fans, maybe we'll actually have a solid transfer window not filled with incompetency.

My question is this, there will have to be some form of punishment involved for the clubs/directors involved. What form will it take?

Domestic point reduction starting next season?

Banned from European competitions for 1-3 years, or a similar timeline?

Financial sanctions in terms of transfer and salary caps? As well as general fines?

I can't see the first two occurring, when UEFA has for the first time in a long while attracted the support of general fans and clubs alike. Such measures might push clubs away again, especially when they already have egg on their face for publicly apologizing and crawling back. Then again fans were ready to stop supporting them over the ESL, so it might not come to that.

I can definitely see at the bare minimum fines/transfer caps being put in place.

Perez is delusional, he wanted a legacy that could match Bernabau, and now he has this. Take a look at the standings in the top 6 leagues in Europe: England (Leciester + West Ham), Italy (Atalanta 3td with Juve in 4th), Spain ( Atletico/Real/Barca/Sevilla seperated by only a few points) Germany (Dortmund out of a CL spot right now) France (Monaco/Lyon/Lille/PSG neck in neck for the title), Portugal (Sporting ahead of Porto/Benfica, and Braga fighting for CL qualification)...the so called "non-elite" teams are competitive and fighting for titles. Spare the BS of "saving the game" with an elitist league where money/wealth guarantees entitlement and a spot for those with the wealth + name, and no chance for others, even they have more legacy then half the teams there.

Also laughable how he states no one from 18-24 cares about football....I certainly saw a lot of those out protesting today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilo

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Rumors UEFA offered the English teams a large sum to pull out, and not the Spanish teams.

ManU players had a revolt which lead to Woodward quitting.

Flo expected to make an announcement the Super League will go on without English teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad