GDT: Superb Owl Thread

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

That is an incredible stat.

This was the first NFL game I watched start to finish in probably 15 years or more. My wife did so as well which to my memory is the first time I can say this in the nearly 40 years we have been together. In fact, she was the one who turned it on. Great game!!

I am not a fan of Romo doing colour rather than Simms, but the NHL could sure take a lesson from the NFL coverage. The NFL Today panel is absolutely first rate.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That is an incredible stat.

This was the first NFL game I watched start to finish in probably 15 years or more. My wife did so as well which to my memory is the first time I can say this in the nearly 40 years we have been together. In fact, she was the one who turned it on. Great game!!

I am not a fan of Romo doing colour rather than Simms, but the NHL could sure take a lesson from the NFL coverage. The NFL Today panel is absolutely first rate.
Romo is annoying when he calls the game. No one cares what you would of done.

Those are the stats of an overrated QB if I’ve ever seen them.

/s

• Haha
Reactions: bellagiobob

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Romo is annoying when he calls the game. No one cares what you would of done.

Those are the stats of an overrated QB if I’ve ever seen them.

/s
Looking at the o-line snaps last night, he had to deal with a shitty snap almost every play!!

Please note, I know f*** all about football. I only played during the lunch breaks in junior high, and I did not make the junior high team

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Great now she's going to use that as a song title.
Haha--maybe. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against her. She's talented and beautiful and I wish her even greater success but I think somewhere down the road she might be writing a song that is titled-- my "nice" football boyfriend is 4th down and very long yardage.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Superb Boomer Owl

1707757760059.png

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006

As soon as SF called to receive on the toss, I’m thinking that’s gonna bite you in the ass. Made no sense. You don’t plan for the third possession.

That said it's stupid to have different overtime rules in the playoffs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That said it's stupid to have different overtime rules in the playoffs.
Hockey does too?
IT makes sense because before a coin flip could literally decide the game, and often does in the regular season. Giving both teams a possession makes the most sense. They only don't do it in the regular season because of time, just like the NHL

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
“World Champions” of American Football will be crowned tonight by a team in a league only run in America.

Makes sense.
That part always kills me. We are "world"champions. Yup, you are, lol.

Since the CFL is a very different game with very different rules, and is only played in Canada and nowhere else, I guess the Als can declare themselves "world" champs.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Overtime is one area where college football does it better than the NFL. If the NFL doesn't want the attacking team to start at the opposing 25 yard line, then play OT like they did yesterday with full drives, but always allow each team an equal number of possessions.

Yes, the Chiefs had an advantage in strategy when attacking second (e.g., 4 downs each time the chains move, knowing exactly what they need to score to tie or win the game); however, they would have immediately lost if they fumbled or were picked off.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
So the Chiefs were going to take the ball second should they have won the toss, and then in the event that both teams scored a major they would have gone for a 2 point convert to decide the game? Yeah I don't buy that for a second.

Taking the ball first is the right call. The 49ers lost because they failed to execute.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Hockey does too?
IT makes sense because before a coin flip could literally decide the game, and often does in the regular season. Giving both teams a possession makes the most sense. They only don't do it in the regular season because of time, just like the NHL
I just meant they playoff rules should be implemented in the regular season or vice versa that way things like this doesn't happen.

And as Frank the Tank said, NCAA over time rules are way better than the NFLs. Ideally they would follow suit.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I just meant they playoff rules should be implemented in the regular season or vice versa that way things like this doesn't happen.

And as Frank the Tank said, NCAA over time rules are way better than the NFLs. Ideally they would follow suit.
Things like this only happened cause the teams coaching staff and management absolutely failed them. The rules have been in place for the whole season. There have been tons of articles about it. The Chiefs had specific plans for it. Hell there was an article a week before the Superbowl directly talking about it.
That said their overtime rules in general are weird, but the only blame is to the 49ers here.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
So the Chiefs were going to take the ball second should they have won the toss, and then in the event that both teams scored a major they would have gone for a 2 point convert to decide the game? Yeah I don't buy that for a second.

Taking the ball first is the right call. The 49ers lost because they failed to execute.
I would never elect to give Mahomes the ball last. College ball they pretty much always elect to kick off if they win the toss. As for the 2 point convert, if both teams scored majors, you have to favor the offense on the third drive to likely get in field goal range, so I think a two point convert on the second major is the right move.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
You can’t deny the greatness of the Chiefs and Mahomes but I think they’re a bunch of sandbaggers and so it’s hard for me to really consider them entertaining. They always look very pedestrian right up until the possession they absolutely have to a score on then they just March down the field and score like it’s nothing.

My prediction before the game yesterday was they’ll “struggle” to score all game but the D will keep them within striking distance and then Mahomes will just waltz down the field and score on the last possession of the game but I didn’t expect them to go to OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00