GDT: Superb Owl Thread

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ahh I forgot. Bit no sympathy for the heat! Hope you guys are having a wonderful time!

2 stops left on the trip. Here and if I make it out alive, Rio.

I’m infusing tremendous amounts of beer to refill the fluid levels. I don’t think I’ve ever pounded 2 tall boys back like that in my life and that includes all my irresponsible teenage drinking.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
2 stops left on the trip. Here and if I make it out alive, Rio.

I’m infusing tremendous amounts of beer to refill the fluid levels. I don’t think I’ve ever pounded 2 tall boys back like that in my life and that includes all my irresponsible teenage drinking.

Good for you!
At least it's beer. First time in any hot spot vacation I made the mistake of the ole sugary Pina Colada x who knows in the afternoon heat. Let's just say I had to waste the next day of holiday!

Take care and safe travels. We may need your GDTs soon!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So the Chiefs were going to take the ball second should they have won the toss, and then in the event that both teams scored a major they would have gone for a 2 point convert to decide the game? Yeah I don't buy that for a second.

Taking the ball first is the right call. The 49ers lost because they failed to execute.
Sudden death after the first 2 possessions. So do you trust you D in OT after playing that many snaps or do you put all of your faith in your O on a 2 point play? That is what it would come down to.

Once KC got into FG range then they would have to decide to kick a FG if they got to 4th down. Either can go for it which is the game or kick a FG. Depends on the distance. But something under 5 yards they are likely going for it.

SF had like 4th and 5 before their OT FG. Could have gone for it as wel but opted for the FG and trust the D to only give up a FG and then get the ball for sudden death.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Sudden death after the first 2 possessions. So do you trust you D in OT after playing that many snaps or do you put all of your faith in your O on a 2 point play? That is what it would come down to.

Once KC got into FG range then they would have to decide to kick a FG if they got to 4th down. Either can go for it which is the game or kick a FG. Depends on the distance. But something under 5 yards they are likely going for it.

SF had like 4th and 5 before their OT FG. Could have gone for it as wel but opted for the FG and trust the D to only give up a FG and then get the ball for sudden death.

Except all the Chiefs would have had to do to avoid needing to gamble the game on one 2 point convert(or a 4th and goal) is just choose to receive first. Then it doesn't matter what the 49ers do because the Chiefs get the ball back into the hands of Patrick Mahomes in a sudden death situation.

That's kinda the point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Except all the Chiefs would have had to do to avoid needing to gamble the game on one 2 point convert(or a 4th and goal) is just choose to receive first. Then it doesn't matter what the 49ers do because the Chiefs get the ball back into the hands of Patrick Mahomes in a sudden death situation.

That's kinda the point.
Defences were getting tired on both sides.

So comes down to who you trust. A tired D or your Offence from the 2 yard line to win the game?

Based on their comments of which decision they would make, KC would bet on Mahomes.
SF wouldn't make the same bet.

Neither decision is wrong. But, if I have a QB I believe in, then I'd put the ball in his hands. If I didn't then I would trust the overall team.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
You can’t deny the greatness of the Chiefs and Mahomes but I think they’re a bunch of sandbaggers and so it’s hard for me to really consider them entertaining. They always look very pedestrian right up until the possession they absolutely have to a score on then they just March down the field and score like it’s nothing.

My prediction before the game yesterday was they’ll “struggle” to score all game but the D will keep them within striking distance and then Mahomes will just waltz down the field and score on the last possession of the game but I didn’t expect them to go to OT.
For me this is the first year that the entertainment aspect of the Chiefs has slipped, and that’s mainly due to the low grade WR’s they’ve had to use this year. Mahomes spent the first half of the year trying to replicate prior years offensive production, and it just wasn’t working, and his stats showed that he was trying to do too much. In the last few months they realized how good their D was, and went with the classic Belichick/Brady philosophy, just make less mistakes than your opponent does, and rely on your D. Smart coaching by Reid and play by Mahomes to recognize that and play to their newish strengths.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
For me this is the first year that the entertainment aspect of the Chiefs has slipped, and that’s mainly due to the low grade WR’s they’ve had to use this year. Mahomes spent the first half of the year trying to replicate prior years offensive production, and it just wasn’t working, and his stats showed that he was trying to do too much. In the last few months they realized how good their D was, and went with the classic Belichick/Brady philosophy, just make less mistakes than your opponent does, and rely on your D. Smart coaching by Reid and play by Mahomes to recognize that and play to their newish strengths.
Kudos for them being able to adapt but much like the Patriots dynasty years, when you’re a fan who doesn’t care who wins one way or the other and just wants to see an exciting game, it gets a little boring when you know a certain team is gonna just hang around and then become unstoppable for a single possession and that’s the difference. They never look dominant like that during an entire game, they do just enough to keep themselves within one score and then just go unstoppable mode for one drive.

I don’t know why it gets under my skin, probably because it feels like it makes 80% of the game irrelevant.

That said it took some incredible luck to set that situation up. If that punt doesn’t hit the SF players foot or if SF doesn’t miss that point after kick, the game is over and they win. Though something tells me if either of those things don’t happen then we see a Mahomes miracle drive last possession of the football game instead of in OT.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Kudos for them being able to adapt but much like the Patriots dynasty years, when you’re a fan who doesn’t care who wins one way or the other and just wants to see an exciting game, it gets a little boring when you know a certain team is gonna just hang around and then become unstoppable for a single possession and that’s the difference. They never look dominant like that during an entire game, they do just enough to keep themselves within one score and then just go unstoppable mode for one drive.

I don’t know why it gets under my skin, probably because it feels like it makes 80% of the game irrelevant.

That said it took some incredible luck to set that situation up. If that punt doesn’t hit the SF players foot or if SF doesn’t miss that point after kick, the game is over and they win. Though something tells me if either of those things don’t happen then we see a Mahomes miracle drive last possession of the football game instead of in OT.
Unlike us fans, the teams don’t give a shit how exciting it is. Only care about the ring at the end of the year. ;)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You can’t deny the greatness of the Chiefs and Mahomes but I think they’re a bunch of sandbaggers and so it’s hard for me to really consider them entertaining. They always look very pedestrian right up until the possession they absolutely have to a score on then they just March down the field and score like it’s nothing.

My prediction before the game yesterday was they’ll “struggle” to score all game but the D will keep them within striking distance and then Mahomes will just waltz down the field and score on the last possession of the game but I didn’t expect them to go to OT.
I mean, their offense this year was pretty damn mediocre. Don't have a lot there outside Mahomes and Kelce so they relied on those 2 and the d...a lot.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maybe NFL team in Canada soon ;)? Would be a good way to get a whole country together.

If the NFL is ever in Toronto there is 0 chance I’d cheer for it.

Hate the Jays, hate the Raptors, hate the FC. I think it’s due to the vertigo I suffer from a lifetime of the earth spinning around that place.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Maybe NFL team in Canada soon ;)? Would be a good way to get a whole country together.

People mostly care for the event and not the game itslef.

I wouldn't say no to a team but the whole league would go into lockouts before losing the superbowl to a canadian team.

World champions!

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Can someone (not me, too lazy) make the hockey GDT? Seems like tis is causing some confusion lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad