Super Early 2015 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
The OHL i've watched every team play at least once, and teams more local to me (steelheads, colts, icedogs, rangers, storm) i've watched live a couple times in addition to seeing several games each.

Crouse i have that low because i have not seen that offensive upside yet. If or when i do, i'll be happy to place him higher, but for me right now all i've seen is basically a glorified Tom Wilson. Spencer was a tough one because i really do think he can be a real solid all-around mid pairing guy in the same vein as matt finn/jared spurgeon/justin braun, and he's one of the safest bets in the 1st round to reach his potential, but i don't see gamebreaking talent there to justify him in the top 20 especially as a dman. Real good, solid player, don't see him as an impact player. Of course anything can change but as of right now that's how i see it.
Fair points. Spencer to me has top pairing upside, Crouse to me easily has that offensive game as I have seen it plenty of times. I just feel like every year Americans and Europeans have tons of exposure earlier than the CHL kids, then around February lists start to end up with more Canadians.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Interesting to note how much the rankings changed in the middle of the first round in Mackenzie's list. What could it mean in terms of viability of trading a roster player for a mid round pick if there's this much variance?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Fair points. Spencer to me has top pairing upside, Crouse to me easily has that offensive game as I have seen it plenty of times. I just feel like every year Americans and Europeans have tons of exposure earlier than the CHL kids, then around February lists start to end up with more Canadians.

He's just kind of having a slow start. He's only on pace for a 40ish point season, which is improvement but less than what you'd want for a top 15 pick at this point. Again I see the tools and the potential you're talking about but if Crouse wants to get top 15, he needs to start showing that potential more. A 40 point pace isn't cutting IMO.

That said I'm not all that worried, it's been 16 games. Virtanen had a similar kind of start and still ended up with 45 goals and a PPG season and capping it off by being drafted 6th. Crouse has lots of time.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Interesting to note how much the rankings changed in the middle of the first round in Mackenzie's list. What could it mean in terms of viability of trading a roster player for a mid round pick if there's this much variance?

What do you mean? Like his list from teh start of the year to the end of the year?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When do Players usually leave for the WJHC ?
I picked up a bunch of tickets to see Erie in Guelph on Dec 20 and it just now occurred to me that McDavid and Strome may not even be there.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
He's just kind of having a slow start. He's only on pace for a 40ish point season, which is improvement but less than what you'd want for a top 15 pick at this point. Again I see the tools and the potential you're talking about but if Crouse wants to get top 15, he needs to start showing that potential more. A 40 point pace isn't cutting IMO.

That said I'm not all that worried, it's been 16 games. Virtanen had a similar kind of start and still ended up with 45 goals and a PPG season and capping it off by being drafted 6th. Crouse has lots of time.

I understand everyone's issues with Crouse, I just don't have issues with his game at all. He is a top 15 pick that a ya his best hockey with a highly skilled, offensively minded centre. He is the real deal and will prove plenty of people wrong who have rated him so low so far. I feel people don't really focus on Spencer when watching him, he's constantly the Pete's most important players, logs so many minutes and defends at an elite level. He will also most likely go in the top 15 and some team will be very lucky to grab him.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Craig Button has Barzal in the mid-first round jeez if that happened i'd hope to draft him lol

also anyone interested in a Dutch Kessel? (ie Daniel Sprong lol)

Ace88*

I understand everyone's issues with Crouse, I just don't have issues with his game at all. He is a top 15 pick that a ya his best hockey with a highly skilled, offensively minded centre. He is the real deal and will prove plenty of people wrong who have rated him so low so far. I feel people don't really focus on Spencer when watching him, he's constantly the Pete's most important players, logs so many minutes and defends at an elite level. He will also most likely go in the top 15 and some team will be very lucky to grab him.

I am super wary of prospects who "need" a certain kind of player to be at their max effectiveness. To me it's not fair to the rest of the top 15 prospects to say "well crouse is definitely top 15 he just needs X kind of player to show it." That's a knock on him. Like I said, glorified Tom Wilson.

As for Spencer, i like him. I really do. He's a real anchor for the Petes, but i don't see the top pairing upside. His game is too...unremarkable in my opinion, not that that's a bad thing necessarily for a defenseman, but look at where similar defensemen have gone in the past. Around 25-40. A guy like Provorov or Werenski for example are every bit as good defending but are superior in a few other ways so i have trouble ranking Spencer up there with them.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I am super wary of prospects who "need" a certain kind of player to be at their max effectiveness. To me it's not fair to the rest of the top 15 prospects to say "well crouse is definitely top 15 he just needs X kind of player to show it." That's a knock on him. Like I said, glorified Tom Wilson.

As for Spencer, i like him. I really do. He's a real anchor for the Petes, but i don't see the top pairing upside. His game is too...unremarkable in my opinion, not that that's a bad thing necessarily for a defenseman, but look at where similar defensemen have gone in the past. Around 25-40. A guy like Provorov or Werenski for example are every bit as good defending but are superior in a few other ways so i have trouble ranking Spencer up there with them.
Not a big deal, I just disagree with you on these 2 players. My point with Crouse is that he excels when playing with other highly skilled offensive players, having a pivot like Crouse will have teams salivating, you are drafting on pure potential and he has some of the highest. I don't really see how you can view his game as to unremarkable, can you elaborate a little bit on that? Similar defenceman that have gone around that range include Stuart Percy, Mark Pysyk, Joe Morrow etc... Matt is a better prospect than all of those guys, he gets criminally underrated.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
McDavid hurt his hand in a fight tonight. Feared to be broken.

What an idiot

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
McDavid hurt his hand in a fight tonight. Feared to be broken.

What an idiot

As was mentioned, the other guy started throwing. I was impressed how well he stood up for himself. Beat the kid up pretty good once he got going.

The other thing of course is that he's connor mcdavid. Stupid if you're a bubble draftee. If you're McDavid, what are you scared of with a broken hand?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Subway series last night, caught the 3rd after coming home. No one stood out to me, even Reinhart looked unremarkable.

If I had to choose a player, it would be Hayden Fleury's mobility will make him interesting, could be a very good one.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
As was mentioned, the other guy started throwing. I was impressed how well he stood up for himself. Beat the kid up pretty good once he got going.

The other thing of course is that he's connor mcdavid. Stupid if you're a bubble draftee. If you're McDavid, what are you scared of with a broken hand?

How he stood up for himself? Come on, the guy's the most talented prospect since Crosby (probably) but that wasn't him standing up for himself. He slashed the guy first, took a slash back and then escalated the situation. Whatever, it happens all the time in hockey and isn't really that big of a deal. Let's not make this into some big "ohh McDavid bad" or "oh McDavid awesomeeeee!".

It's a regular occurring thing in hockey. Leave it at that. It doesn't make McDavid either better prospect or worse. Just a hockey player.

Bluejaysfan*

Would it be fair to say Roy has similar upside to Rielly? Their games are so similar IMO.

Ace88*

Would it be fair to say Roy has similar upside to Rielly? Their games are so similar IMO.

I might get raked over the coals for this but i like his game more than Rielly's and i think he has a higher offensive ceiling. I dont think they are similar, though, Roy's much shiftier and slicker while Rielly is more apt to use his size to defend. Roy's skating and puckhandling are prettier but not necessarily more effective. I also like Roy's aggressiveness a lot, if Rielly had that killer instinct he would get much better much faster imo

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
From what I've seen of Roy(which isn't a lot I grant you) he doesn't have the dynamic speed burst and power that Riellly generates even when even when Rielly was that age.

He looks to me more cool calm Dman in the mold of a Shattenkirk.

I don't see Roy at the same age in the same class as Rielly, But his production in the Q is impressive thus far.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
IMHO I don't think Roy is at Rielly's level of skating, but he makes up for it with his great hockey sense, vision, anticipation etc...these things can take a defender a long way. I'd love to see him paired with Rielly some day :naughty:

Bluejaysfan*

IMHO I don't think Roy is at Rielly's level of skating, but he makes up for it with his great hockey sense, vision, anticipation etc...these things can take a defender a long way. I'd love to see him paired with Rielly some day :naughty:

I'm more of a Kylington fan...I don't know what it is about him but he just screams #1 D man to me.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
After a slow start, Mitch Marner now has 32 points in 19 games.

Kid is unbelievable. Might fall because of his "small size" like Nylander did. We would be lucky to take advantage again

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Kid is unbelievable. Might fall because of his "small size" like Nylander did. We would be lucky to take advantage again

Or with the Hunters familiar with him might be a Leaf trade up situation.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

I'm not sure he'll fall all that much due to the size factor if you look at some of the other forwards who are project to go in the same area. Konecny, Merkley and Barzal don't exactly have size on their side either. If he falls, it'll probably only be a couple spots, and probably still in the top 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce