Super Early 2015 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace88*

Haha yes i sure did, thanks for pointing that out. And yeah doing rankings like this is pretty tricky because when it comes to guys like Rantanen i have to go off what i read about him and kind of "feel" it out. He was really really hyped last year and coming into this year. Like i said i have my biases due to exposure but i feel it would have been a pretty glaring omission to leave him out, so there he is at 14 which yeah is based off what i've read about him and heard of him from folks i trust.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Ya, we just have pro scout after pro scout, organisation after organisation and pundit after pundit point out the 2003 comparable.

Then there is the big furry:laugh:, ya like I'm taking his word over all those others:shakehead

Which organization has said that?

Which scouts have said that?

Which pundit has said "this draft is the deepest since 2003?"

I'd bet that you'd have a hard time finding direct quotes.

This draft is getting deserved hype because of McDavid and Eichel. McDavid is the best player since Crosby to be draft. That's not in question. But that hype is getting skewed. Are there sweet players in the top 10? Yep, Strome is awesome, Hanifin is awesome, but the depth outside the top 10 isn't anything magnificently outrageous. It's better than average depth, but it's way too early to be saying "best draft since 2003".

Why is it the best since 2003? If it's because of McDavid, then fine. Everyone loves to throw the "best draft since 03" around but they don't explain why. More teams have already traded their 2015 first rounder prior to the 2014/2015 season than teams did in the 2014 draft (trade up/trade down on draft 2014 beign the exception. That doesn't really count). Does that scream "best draft since 2003?"

Am I saying that this draft is crap? No. It deserves hype because McDavid/Eichel are simply incredible. What I'm saying is people need to lower their expectations for the rest of the draft. Their are some incredible players outside those two, but that's like any other draft. Strome is probably top 3 in most drafts, where he's now maybe 4/5/6. That's not that big a difference because of those top 2. This draft is stronger than most for sure, but it's WAYYYYY to earlier to say it's the best since 2003. Like daisy said, that draft didn't become that draft until later (and it's probably going to be a unique draft in history because of the full year lockout. Don't discount that).

So what I'm saying is stop throwing around buzzwords for thsi draft. It's too early to proclaim it this simply amazing draft outside the top 2 players.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Anyways, here's my current top 10 (i guess i'll do this on a month by month basis, but due to certain restrictions i don't have my fingers in all the junior hockey pies so don't take these as super duper authoritative--there is a lack of european players because it's difficult to see them play. Just a personal ranking based on what i've seen). I think right now my top 10 is pretty set, but from 11-25 or so is really volatile and changes a lot from week to week.

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Hanifin
4. Barzal/Strome
5. Barzal/Strome
6. J Roy
7. Svechnikov (no clue how he isn't a unanimous top 10 selection)
8. K Connor (having a brilliant season; unquestionably the 2nd best american forward in this draft imo)
9. Marner (gotta eat crow on this one, he's doing his best right now to make me look silly lol)
10. Kylington (im getting a bit wary of this guy; i haven't watched much of him this season at all, but he seems to maybe be struggling a slight bit. Add to that the disappointing career trajectories of similar defensemen that went through the Farjestad system and im not sold on him as much as Hanifin and Roy)
11. Zacha (im not as high on him as a lot of other people. I feel he has much more to show, and until he does i can't bring myself to put him in the top 10)
12. Werenski (totally flying under the radar. He's doing some awesome things in the NCAA as a 17 year old)
13. Bracco (guy's size holds him back on scout rankings but i have no issue with putting him this high)
14. Rantanen (i admit i have zero exposure to Rantanen. Liiga is an information black hole for prospects for me)
15. Konecny (not high on him at all. talent is undeniable but out of everyone in the top 15 i think he has the most trouble being a solid NHLer. Jeff Skinner 2.0, head down hits and all)
16. Provorov (kid is a stud. a real swiss army knife of a defenseman, he can play any game you want him to play at a very high level. In any given game he will be used as the transition catalyst, PP QB, top shutdown guy, and agitator, think Nikitin mixed with prime Kasparaitis)
17. Bittner (He's getting a little overshadowed by the portland ****storm this year)
18. C White (haven't seen him much at all)
19. Sprong (he's got more to show for sure i think)
20. Greenway (a monster on the boards and on the cycle, not sure if he has the offensive upside to hang with the rest of the top 25 though)
21. Crouse (some people will jump on me for having him this low, but he's not there for me...yet)
22. Gropp (i'm disappointed with him so far but he can easily get much better very soon)
23. Harkins (what a great surprise he's been for PG)
24. Korostelev (well, what can you say. Russian player that plays a Russian game. High offensive output, not much in the way of a complete game)
25. M Spencer (he's climbing...slowly but steadily. Plays a bit of a Finn-type game and has been a rock for the Petes)
26. Merkley (he's been phenomenal, but for some reason he just doesn't strike me as being as high end as other Cs in the top 30)
27. Schweri (four months from now he could be top 20 if he keeps the absurd production up, though he is more of a product of his linemates than other players on this list)
28. Pilon (has been one of the three best draft-eligible WHL defenders on a pretty consistent basis)
29. Beauvillier (slick player, i want to watch more of him but that requires watching Shawinigan which is difficult logistically and team performance-wise lol)
30. R Andersson (he could rise a lot or fall a lot depending on his play. He's been fairly underwhelming since coming over)

Names to watch that could rise significantly: Adam Marsh, Blake Speers, Callum Booth, Adam Musil, Brandon Carlo, Timo Meier, Filip Chlapik, Nathan Noel, Thomas Novak, Dennis Yan, Matej Tomek, Jens Looke, Nikita Cherepanov

Ratanen has been a little weak this year. He's still riding a lot of hype from last season. He's raw which will get a lot of teams interested in him, but he needs to show more to go higher.

Rasmus Andersson has been better this year. He wasn't terrible last year but he didn't really take the offensive step most thought he would. He's struggled a little defensively though.

I don't think Schweri is totally the product of his linemates. He's got superb playmaking skills that are best used with talented players. It's not a bad thing. If he continues hi absurd production he'll be top 15.

Greenway/Crouse are both monster forwards. Lot of raw potential with them both, hard to see them falling at all outside of the top 30, both are too enticing for that. Bittner fits in this as well.

I think you're way undervaluing Merkley and undervaluing Konecny a little.I don't mind the reasoning for Konecny though, but I have such a hard time saying no that kind of talent. ANd I'm biased with Merkley, I'm a huge fan.

Novak, Speers and Carlo are going to be big risers this year. Call it a gut feel (which it is more than anything) but I'm a big fan of both. I'm a big fan of Carlo and Speers right now

Ace88*

never mind stacking the ever loving christ out of the WJC team, probably the best one ever assembled

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Anyways, here's my current top 10 (i guess i'll do this on a month by month basis, but due to certain restrictions i don't have my fingers in all the junior hockey pies so don't take these as super duper authoritative--there is a lack of european players because it's difficult to see them play. Just a personal ranking based on what i've seen). I think right now my top 10 is pretty set, but from 11-25 or so is really volatile and changes a lot from week to week.

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Hanifin
4. Barzal/Strome
5. Barzal/Strome
6. J Roy
8. K Connor (having a brilliant season; unquestionably the 2nd best american forward in this draft imo)
9. Marner (gotta eat crow on this one, he's doing his best right now to make me look silly lol)
10. Kylington (im getting a bit wary of this guy; i haven't watched much of him this season at all, but he seems to maybe be struggling a slight bit. Add to that the disappointing career trajectories of similar defensemen that went through the Farjestad system and im not sold on him as much as Hanifin and Roy)
11. Zacha (im not as high on him as a lot of other people. I feel he has much more to show, and until he does i can't bring myself to put him in the top 10)
12. Werenski (totally flying under the radar. He's doing some awesome things in the NCAA as a 17 year old)
13. Bracco (guy's size holds him back on scout rankings but i have no issue with putting him this high)
14. Rantanen (i admit i have zero exposure to Rantanen. Liiga is an information black hole for prospects for me)
15. Konecny (not high on him at all. talent is undeniable but out of everyone in the top 15 i think he has the most trouble being a solid NHLer. Jeff Skinner 2.0, head down hits and all)
16. Provorov (kid is a stud. a real swiss army knife of a defenseman, he can play any game you want him to play at a very high level. In any given game he will be used as the transition catalyst, PP QB, top shutdown guy, and agitator, think Nikitin mixed with prime Kasparaitis)
17. Bittner (He's getting a little overshadowed by the portland ****storm this year)
20. Greenway (a monster on the boards and on the cycle, not sure if he has the offensive upside to hang with the rest of the top 25 though)
21. Crouse (some people will jump on me for having him this low, but he's not there for me...yet)
22. Gropp (i'm disappointed with him so far but he can easily get much better very soon)
24. Korostelev (well, what can you say. Russian player that plays a Russian game. High offensive output, not much in the way of a complete game)
25. M Spencer (he's climbing...slowly but steadily. Plays a bit of a Finn-type game and has been a rock for the Petes)
26. Merkley (he's been phenomenal, but for some reason he just doesn't strike me as being as high end as other Cs in the top 30)
27. Schweri (four months from now he could be top 20 if he keeps the absurd production up, though he is more of a product of his linemates than other players on this list)
28. Pilon (has been one of the three best draft-eligible WHL defenders on a pretty consistent basis)
29. Beauvillier (slick player, i want to watch more of him but that requires watching Shawinigan which is difficult logistically and team performance-wise lol)
30. R Andersson (he could rise a lot or fall a lot depending on his play. He's been fairly underwhelming since coming over)

Names to watch that could rise significantly: Adam Marsh, Blake Speers, Callum Booth, Adam Musil, Brandon Carlo, Timo Meier, Filip Chlapik, Nathan Noel, Thomas Novak, Dennis Yan, Matej Tomek, Jens Looke, Nikita Cherepanov

Solid list.

Lots of points I like and I agree:

-Strome at 4 and J.Roy in the top 6
-Svechnikov in the top 10
-Schweri in the 1st round (although like IceWookie said, he's not a product of his linemates. He's got elite vision and playmking abilities and can run a line by himself)
-Speers a huge raiser, will be a 1st round pick, IMO
-Musil is a guy every team will love his game, agree a raiser as well

I have Alexandre Carrier in the 1st round. Unreal passing + vision, PP QB, solid two-way + leadership.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Hanifin
4. Barzal/Strome
5. Barzal/Strome
6. J Roy

Nice to see a list finally.

The stand out decision is Roy in the top 10. Nice talent obviously, But I'll need more of the season to judge. Currently though, I don't have too much further down.

Sprong at 19 is low, But it's early.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
does this mean that if we finish mid pack, schweri is bpa for us? could he be a top 6 player or even a first liner?

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I haven't seen Ottawa play this year. Why is Konecny not all that productive this season? An honest question, not an in direct slam.

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
I haven't seen Ottawa play this year. Why is Konecny not all that productive this season? An honest question, not an in direct slam.

Saw them play in Barrie earlier in the season and you wouldn't know he was playing if you didn't see him in warm up

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
does this mean that if we finish mid pack, schweri is bpa for us? could he be a top 6 player or even a first liner?

I doubt Schweri is bpa at mid first round unless he keeps up his ridiculous production. Scouts seem to be seeing his numbers as more of a reflection on his linemates than his personal skill. He has the potential to be top six for a team, but I would say top line point getter is a bit of a stretch.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Nice to see a list finally.

The stand out decision is Roy in the top 10. Nice talent obviously, But I'll need more of the season to judge. Currently though, I don't have too much further down.

Sprong at 19 is low, But it's early.

Roy will easily be a top 10 pick, IMO. Like I said earlier, he's got number one defenseman upside, he's a top top 3 picks in most of the past Draft and a top 5-6 in this draft, IMO. Unreal hockey IQ and passing.

Big fan of Schweri, really hope we can get him, not sure if he's BPA in the mid-first tho. Definitely a solid late 1st round pick. Top 6 playmaker upside for sure.

I doubt Schweri is bpa at mid first round unless he keeps up his ridiculous production. Scouts seem to be seeing his numbers as more of a reflection on his linemates than his personal skill. He has the potential to be top six for a team, but I would say top line point getter is a bit of a stretch.

He's not a product of his linemates. He's got unreal vision, passing and playmaking abilities, as well as great hands. At 5 on 5 he's the best player on his line (playing with Deslauriers et Wieser). Him and Audete are easily the best forward on the team. Definitely not a product of his linemates.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Could definitely be his size. IMO, I'd stay away from him unless he dropped. I would definitely not reach and I would seriously consider other possibilities in his range. It is a deep draft after all.

I could see him dropping to the late first-early 2nd round by the end of the year, much like Josh Ho-Sang did.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is anyone else surprised Sebastian Aho (the Swedish defenseman) from Skelleftea wasn't picked last year? Or Lawrence Pilut from HV 71? Both have some serious skill, and are both quite refined. They are both quite small, but no smaller than Honka in the first round, and are both just as good in the defensive end as they are in the offensive end, if not better.

I would have thought some smart team would have picked them up in the 7th as a flier. Could have definitely been a Gunnarsson/Stralman type return on investment, and already are likely jumping up draft boards.

Ace88*

Could definitely be his size. IMO, I'd stay away from him unless he dropped. I would definitely not reach and I would seriously consider other possibilities in his range. It is a deep draft after all.

I could see him dropping to the late first-early 2nd round by the end of the year, much like Josh Ho-Sang did.

Yeah, so can i actually. I think if he was the kind of guy who played heads-up 100% of the time and avoided getting hits like some other smaller guys (gaudreau, st louis, atkinson, etc) then he would be higher on both my list and scouts' lists, but man the guy just gets wrecked on a semi-regular basis because he's got his head down or admires the pass for too long.

In order for Konecny to be the clear bpa, it'd have to be somewhere around 20-25th in the 1st round or later. I know i've said it plenty of times but he's on my do not draft list.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Yeah, so can i actually. I think if he was the kind of guy who played heads-up 100% of the time and avoided getting hits like some other smaller guys (gaudreau, st louis, atkinson, etc) then he would be higher on both my list and scouts' lists, but man the guy just gets wrecked on a semi-regular basis because he's got his head down or admires the pass for too long.

In order for Konecny to be the clear bpa, it'd have to be somewhere around 20-25th in the 1st round or later. I know i've said it plenty of times but he's on my do not draft list.

It's only November. Still early.

It does seem though you're basing that opinion on the one instance of him getting hit like that. The kid has the talent and the engine to become a very good player.

Ace88*

He sure does. But as i said before i think he has the most difficulty out of the top 15-20 or so. Realistically, i think if he does have a successful career he ends up as a smallish, 25g-25a scoring right winger who may have trouble with injuries throughout his career. I absolutely do not see top line centre in this player, not even close.

It isn't based off the one time he got rocked good. He gets abused on a game-by-game basis.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
He sure does. But as i said before i think he has the most difficulty out of the top 15-20 or so. Realistically, i think if he does have a successful career he ends up as a smallish, 25g-25a scoring right winger who may have trouble with injuries throughout his career. I absolutely do not see top line centre in this player, not even close.

It isn't based off the one time he got rocked good. He gets abused on a game-by-game basis.
First off, good work putting a list together, they can be incredibly frustrating. Second, wondering how many views you have had for the OHL? Thirdly, wondering a ton about the placements of Crouse and Spencer, specifically on Spencer though, why is he rated so low? His upside is absolutely huge.

Ace88*

First off, good work putting a list together, they can be incredibly frustrating. Second, wondering how many views you have had for the OHL? Thirdly, wondering a ton about the placements of Crouse and Spencer, specifically on Spencer though, why is he rated so low? His upside is absolutely huge.

The OHL i've watched every team play at least once, and teams more local to me (steelheads, colts, icedogs, rangers, storm) i've watched live a couple times in addition to seeing several games each.

Crouse i have that low because i have not seen that offensive upside yet. If or when i do, i'll be happy to place him higher, but for me right now all i've seen is basically a glorified Tom Wilson. Spencer was a tough one because i really do think he can be a real solid all-around mid pairing guy in the same vein as matt finn/jared spurgeon/justin braun, and he's one of the safest bets in the 1st round to reach his potential, but i don't see gamebreaking talent there to justify him in the top 20 especially as a dman. Real good, solid player, don't see him as an impact player. Of course anything can change but as of right now that's how i see it.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Couple of WHLers to keep an eye as the season goes on.

1) Parker Wotherspoon - Tyler's (Calgary dmen prospect) younger brother, late birthday. Not overly large but he has great offensive instincts, and he's decent defensively.

2) Kevin Davis/Noah Juulsen - Both right shooting dmen for Everett. Both putting up some nice numbers right now. Neither are particularly ornery. Both sophomores.

3) Austin Strand - Rookie dmen for the Rebels. He's a big right handed dmen. I believe he plays with Cote (Red Deer's leading scorer) so he's probably getting a boost from that offensively, but he's acquitting himself nicely for being a first year player. I'm betting he starts to get hyped by mid season and makes a 2nd round push before the end of the season.

OHLers

1) Matt Luff - 6 foot 2 right wing for Belleville. He's got great hands around the net and a great shot. He's big so as he grows into his body he'll need to get stronger. He's a power forward through and through.

2) Thomas Schemitsch - Very big right hand defender, although he plays his off hand position mostly I believe. He's playing very well for a poor Owen Sound team, leading them in plus/minus right now.

3) Andrew Mangniapane - Plays for the Barrie Colts. Didn't get drafted last year but in preliminary advanced stats for the CHL (before the Leafs bought the site), he was among the best players in possession stats. He's currently top 10 in OHL scoring and he's 12th in scoring.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Couple of WHLers to keep an eye as the season goes on.

1) Parker Wotherspoon - Tyler's (Calgary dmen prospect) younger brother, late birthday. Not overly large but he has great offensive instincts, and he's decent defensively.

2) Kevin Davis/Noah Juulsen - Both right shooting dmen for Everett. Both putting up some nice numbers right now. Neither are particularly ornery. Both sophomores.

3) Austin Strand - Rookie dmen for the Rebels. He's a big right handed dmen. I believe he plays with Cote (Red Deer's leading scorer) so he's probably getting a boost from that offensively, but he's acquitting himself nicely for being a first year player. I'm betting he starts to get hyped by mid season and makes a 2nd round push before the end of the season.

OHLers

1) Matt Luff - 6 foot 2 right wing for Belleville. He's got great hands around the net and a great shot. He's big so as he grows into his body he'll need to get stronger. He's a power forward through and through.

2) Thomas Schemitsch - Very big right hand defender, although he plays his off hand position mostly I believe. He's playing very well for a poor Owen Sound team, leading them in plus/minus right now.

3) Andrew Mangniapane - Plays for the Barrie Colts. Didn't get drafted last year but in preliminary advanced stats for the CHL (before the Leafs bought the site), he was among the best players in possession stats. He's currently top 10 in OHL scoring and he's 12th in scoring.

Luff is a good one, he was on the 97 Oakville sqaud. One to add would be Anthony Cirrelli, he's taken an excellent jump from major midget last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad