GDT: Super Bowl LV -KC vs. TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Seems like a great deal for Detroit. Doubt Stafford moves the needle that significantly over Goff or at all. Not a huge Goff fan but he was 42-27 as a starter.
While Detroit got a nice haul for Stafford, Goffs contract is a nightmare and you have to wonder how he will do without McVay holding his hand.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
While Detroit got a nice haul for Stafford, Goffs contract is a nightmare and you have to wonder how he will do without McVay holding his hand.
I tend to think Detroit received the additional picks because they agreed to take on Goffs contract. Goff is not a good QB. And he’s PAID.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
In N.F.L., the Same Old Line and Verse About Hiring Black Coaches

New read on an old problem.

“For many of us, it becomes ‘Why bother?’” Adams said.
That’s the overlooked tragedy. Ambitious white coaches look at the N.F.L., see plenty of open lanes and keep charging forward. Ambitious Black coaches see roadblocks and dead ends — and often dim their expectations.

The cycle continues. An age-old American tale.

It will be great to see Amanda Gorman recite poetry at the Super Bowl. But when you do, think of Bieniemy and all the coaches who look like him. Think of their hopes and frustrations — of their dreams deferred, again and again.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Why should anyone hire bienemy with that rap sheet he has? I wouldn't.

Byron Leftwich, different story.
...because he's a great candidate and the "rap sheet" (whoah on the iffy connotations) is decades old. Besides, this is about a pattern of behavior of the league.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
...because he's a great candidate and the "rap sheet" (whoah on the iffy connotations) is decades old. Besides, this is about a pattern of behavior of the league.

Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy's Troubling Rap Sheet Includes a Disturbing Assault Charge Against a Woman (sportscasting.com)

You hiring that to run your organization? As a player, sure, teams do it all the time, but your head coach? I mean how many interviews has he had? Let's not pretend the only reason he isn't being hired is the color of his skin.

Again, not saying there isn't a huge issue with hiring practices, they certainly are. I wouldn't have hired trash like Urban Meyer either, but people are obviously afraid/turned off by Bienemy's past.

Reactions: LSCII

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bienemy has interviewed plenty in the last 3 years. Is it fair to say that there's a chance that he just hasn't interviewed well and comes across as someone who is an elite offensive coordinator that would not make a strong head coach, a la McDaniels or O'Brien? Maybe I'm naive, but I feel like it makes more sense that that is the case than a grand conspiracy among NFL franchises to keep blacks out of the coaching ranks in 2021.

Reactions: Scruffy and nORRis8

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Bienemy has interviewed plenty in the last 3 years. Is it fair to say that there's a chance that he just hasn't interviewed well and comes across as someone who is an elite offensive coordinator that would not make a strong head coach, a la McDaniels or O'Brien? Maybe I'm naive, but I feel like it makes more sense that that is the case than a grand conspiracy among NFL franchises to keep blacks out of the coaching ranks in 2021.

This thing of pushing a narrative of race with ESPN screaming about teams not hiring more black coaches is so cringy.
It's now going way of the Oscars..."we will only recognize your picture if it has x amount of minorities behind the camera and also in front".

The media has waaaaaay to much of a voice in the US.

The other day a news story ran pointing out in Edmonton Alberta that all the new recruits for the Edmonton Fired Department were all white males. No females. No minorities.
The story was "why, why...whyyyyyyy?"
Which is odd, cuz for the first step to getting a job....is applying for a job.
If they don't apply, they don't work.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
This thing of pushing a narrative of race with ESPN screaming about teams not hiring more black coaches is so cringy.
It's now going way of the Oscars..."we will only recognize your picture if it has x amount of minorities behind the camera and also in front".

The other day a news story ran pointing out in Edmonton Alberta that all the new recruits for the Edmonton Fired Department were all white males. No females. No minorities.

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but are African Americans really that under-represented in the NFL head coaching circle?

% of US Population that identify as African American: 12.1%
% of NFL head coaches that are African American: 9.4% (3/32)

You have to wonder if they want equality or equity. Equality is equal opportunity, which by all accounts they have. Equity is equal results, which is what they seem to be arguing for and IMO is not fair.

Reactions: nORRis8

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

the law enforcement in NJ is tiered. People drop out at every level

take the written test goes to interview goes to hired, goes to drug test, goes to police academy goes to your final job.

the part that trips most up of all races is the drug test. People don’t show up, meaning the job they were hired for goes to the next person

Reactions: nORRis8

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Maybe I'm being obtuse, but are African Americans really that under-represented in the NFL head coaching circle?

% of US Population that identify as African American: 12.1%
% of NFL head coaches that are African American: 9.4% (3/32)

You have to wonder if they want equality or equity. Equality is equal opportunity, which by all accounts they have. Equity is equal results, which is what they seem to be arguing for and IMO is not fair.

there are plenty of rich white owners in all sports that I think don’t want a person of color to be the face of their organization and that’s sad. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am

when you hire a guy like the eagles or chargers did over a Byron Leftwicb well there should be some explaining

Reactions: Over the volcano

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Not a grand explicit conspiracy but an old, white, boys club mentality across league owners.

and sure we can imagine all kinds of reasons why individuals haven’t been given a shot, but the pattern of the league’s behavior is pretty damn clear.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting read and sadly a familiar one

Reactions: CDJ and LouJersey

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy's Troubling Rap Sheet Includes a Disturbing Assault Charge Against a Woman (sportscasting.com)

You hiring that to run your organization? As a player, sure, teams do it all the time, but your head coach? I mean how many interviews has he had? Let's not pretend the only reason he isn't being hired is the color of his skin.

Again, not saying there isn't a huge issue with hiring practices, they certainly are. I wouldn't have hired trash like Urban Meyer either, but people are obviously afraid/turned off by Bienemy's past.
I hear you, that stuff is all 20+ years back too though.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
there are plenty of rich white owners in all sports that I think don’t want a person of color to be the face of their organization and that’s sad. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am

when you hire a guy like the eagles or chargers did over a Byron Leftwicb well there should be some explaining

Oh I agree.

I just question how much of something like the Leftwich situation is because of race and how much is the epidemic of the same old coaches getting multiple cracks at a HC job. The latter is rampant in all sports, and comes down to teams not taking chances on unknowns vs hiring the same old retreads.

I mean, Leftwich has only been in coaching for 4 seasons. He's still quite green in the grand scheme of things, and would be a pretty big risk as a HC hire. I know the NBA has a recent trend of hiring former players quickly after retirement to HC positions, but the NFL hasn't embraced that yet (whether they should is a different debate). The NFL is still a "pay your dues" type of coaching cycle, for better or for worse.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Oh I agree.

I just question how much of something like the Leftwich situation is because of race and how much is the epidemic of the same old coaches getting multiple cracks at a HC job. The latter is rampant in all sports, and comes down to teams not taking chances on unknowns vs hiring the same old retreads.

I mean, Leftwich has only been in coaching for 4 seasons. He's still quite green in the grand scheme of things, and would be a pretty big risk as a HC hire. I know the NBA has a recent trend of hiring former players quickly after retirement to HC positions, but the NFL hasn't embraced that yet (whether they should is a different debate). The NFL is still a "pay your dues" type of coaching cycle, for better or for worse.

When you hire guys like Sirianni and Staley it makes me wonder why you don't take the same chance on Richard Hightower or Duce Staley.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
When you hire guys like Sirianni and Staley it makes me wonder why you don't take the same chance on Richard Hightower or Duce Staley.

True.

I'd argue that Flores counts as a risk hire. Only 1 year as a DC (even though he wasn't officially given the title) before getting the Miami job.

Edit: Either way, the NFL HC selection thinking is broken, regardless of race.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
►The Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Jacksonville Jaguars, Los Angeles Rams, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints and Tennessee Titans have never had a person of color as either their coach or general manager. Collectively, they have made 60 hires since 1990, 41 coaches and 19 general managers.

Not fair to have Pats in there w Bill being here forever, but there have been some teams listed there that have been around a long time.

Reactions: CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Here's why I don't buy the good ol' boys club argument. There were 7 vacancies this year:

Eagles hired Ray Rhodes back in 1995 and were way ahead of the curve in black coaches and QBs
Detroit employed Jim Caldwell quite recently
While Atlanta and Houston haven't had a permanent coach of color, they just both had black interims this season in Raheem Morris and Romeo Crennel
Jets just had Todd Bowles a few years ago and they hired a Middle Eastern coach this time anyway.
Chargers just had Anthony Lynn.
Jags don't have a history of black coaches but they're owned by a Pakistani businessman. And they went for the local college coach which plays well in the Florida market where they need to sell tickets.

All the facts just don't point to the Bienemy being the victim of a glass ceiling.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
►The Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Jacksonville Jaguars, Los Angeles Rams, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints and Tennessee Titans have never had a person of color as either their coach or general manager. Collectively, they have made 60 hires since 1990, 41 coaches and 19 general managers.

Not fair to have Pats in there w Bill being here forever, but there have been some teams listed there that have been around a long time.

Bill has employed several black coaches in his tenure here..

Reactions: LouJersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad