NFL GDT: Super Bowl LI: (1) New England Patriots Vs. (2) Atlanta Falcons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Love this argument. Completely disregards how dominant they are against the run. They just do not get gashed on the ground and that, combined with their offense, puts teams in situations where they have to throw.

We essentially had a dominant defense in the '14 Super Bowl year. The only difference now is no Jones/Collins/Wilfork but it disregards a now dominant Butler and the development of the young players along the D-Line front.

It shouldn't be a surprise.

That doesn't fit the narrative. We're just so lucky we had a cupcake schedule and play in a lousy division.

Mad Brills*

Julio Jones will be belichick's biggest test as patriots coach in a super bowl.

Can't think of any offensive player that comes close in their super bowl matchups other than steve smith

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I've got the Pats by a score or two.

This will be the best offense the Pats have faced all season but I have confidence in the defense. Brady should be able to take advantage of the Falcons defense and I give an edge to the Pats in the coaching department. I also think experience comes into play.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Really don't know who to root for in this; I can't lose either way.

Remember Elway and the Broncos vs the Falcons, and I was always a huge Broncos-Elway fan, but the Falcons were my 2nd favorite team. Ultimately, I obviously rooted for the Broncos. Since then, with the years of Manning (who I hated) playing for the Broncos, I really started to become more of a Patriots fan because I like Brady. But Brady and the Patriots have won a lot, so I think I may just lean towards the Falcons. Hope it's a great and close game, Falcons winning by a field-goal.

But which team will win, I can't say. I think the odds should be in Brady and the Patriots' favor.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Can't think of any offensive player that comes close in their super bowl matchups other than steve smith

I guess you weren't around when they played that team called the Greatest Show on Turf?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Aikman made the point about the Falcons defense that they might not be as bad as they lead on as well.

28th in pass defense, but a lot of people don't factor in they got into a lot of shootouts/games where teams were forced to throw to keep up. In actuality i think he said they're like 11th in yards per play against the pass.

I think this one is going to be surprising to a lot of people.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

T.O. with the Eagles. Guy was awesome that year, though he was injured if I recall.

The tandem of Holt/Bruce in 2001 against the Rams was pretty deadly as well, and that's not even mentioning Faulk.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Aikman made the point about the Falcons defense that they might not be as bad as they lead on as well.

28th in pass defense, but a lot of people don't factor in they got into a lot of shootouts/games where teams were forced to throw to keep up. In actuality i think he said they're like 11th in yards per play against the pass.

I think this one is going to be surprising to a lot of people.

Um shouldn't that make it easier to defend. Your team has a big lead, you know the other team has to become one dimensional and throw.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Can't complain about the matchup. Will be happy for Patriots for sticking it to Goodell, or happy for the Falcons for their first win.

Hopefully it's a good game. Picked the Patriots.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Personally, I think that the Falcons are the better team this season.

That said, I think the experience will make a huge difference and ultimately lead to a Pats win. Too many rookies on the Falcons (they're going to be good for a long time).

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
TO played the Super Bowl one leg and was gimping, still went for 160. Faulk was great toi, but Martz refused to run the ball.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I guess you weren't around when they played that team called the Greatest Show on Turf?

New England also had a much, much better defense back then. If anything, they were a defense first team.

Atlanta has a chance if their offense can continue rolling and if they can get pressure on Brady as they did with Rodgers.

But after finally seeing the first half between Green Bay, Atlanta got some very good bounces. The Packers fumble in the redzone, Green Bay somehow failing to recover that fumble near midfield and failing to intercept Ryan at the end of the half. Which led to a touchdown on the next play and game over.

They can do it. But they'll need to basically be perfect to knock off New England.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Watch Jones blow a hammy on the second series of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad