NFL GDT: Super Bowl LI: (1) New England Patriots Vs. (2) Atlanta Falcons - OT - Pats win

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I feel for Atlanta fans.

Kyle Shanahan must of packed his gear by the end of the 3rd and started picking plays at random on 3rd down. One of the best backs in the league, in field goal position to ice the game? Nah, make it more challenging.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I'm in a unique situation because I'm a native Atlantan (actually still living here) but a pretty big Patriots fan because my SO is from Boston. I was ok with whomever won but preferred the Pats. by halftime I had accepted that it just wasn't the Pats night and was just hoping they'd at least make it less embarrassing. I think I got more than I bargained for! :handclap:

I feel bad for the Falcons but as Aerosmith once sang, "You got to lose to know how to win"

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
At what point in the game did Matt Ryan's helmet need to be replaced for a headset issue (I think it was)?

I have no evidence at all but I'm not ruling out the likelihood of Patriots shenanigans. :D

I'm pretty sure it needed to be replaced because instead of calling in a play the Falcons piped in artificial crowd noise. :popcorn:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Question: on the crazy Edelman catch, why is it still considered a catch while after a couple times juggling the ball and then pulling it in, you can see the ball make contact with the ground (while in his hands)

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Question: on the crazy Edelman catch, why is it still considered a catch while after a couple times juggling the ball and then pulling it in, you can see the ball make contact with the ground (while in his hands)

Multiple replay angles pretty clearly showed his left hand under the ball when he lands on it. I didn't see any angles that showed the ball hitting the ground. It was close, but his hand was underneath it.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

The ball never made contact with the ground until the catch was official. He had one hand underneath the ball, and control of the ball, and that's all he needs to do for a fair catch.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Multiple replay angles pretty clearly showed his left hand under the ball when he lands on it. I didn't see any angles that showed the ball hitting the ground. It was close, but his hand was underneath it.

My only gripe with the play was the official ruling it a catch immediately. That was really dangerous, in a spot like that you should rule that incomplete. The reason being if the replay has no good angle you'd much rather that be ruled no catch due to inconclusive evidence than a catch. I remember a retired NFL official saying on plays that are exceptionally convoluted you're told to side with the decision which favors the defense unless you're 100% certain. I find it hard to believe he was 100% sure there given how far he was from the play.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
My only gripe with the play was the official ruling it a catch immediately. That was really dangerous, in a spot like that you should rule that incomplete. The reason being if the replay has no good angle you'd much rather that be ruled no catch due to inconclusive evidence than a catch. I remember a retired NFL official saying on plays that are exceptionally convoluted you're told to side with the decision which favors the defense unless you're 100% certain. I find it hard to believe he was 100% sure there given how far he was from the play.

That's a dumb reason. If the official had a good look at it he's got to call it as he sees it. When you watch the video the official that calls it a catch it's making the signal "very enthusiastically". If he thinks its a catch he should call it that way.

Officials shouldn't make a call based on what may or may not happen due to a replay review.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Federer isn't out of reach at all. In 2 or 3 years he could be tho.

The Serb (I think that's what they call him) probably can't pass him. If he beats him by 1 or 2 "champs" then I'd still say federer is better. As the competition was tougher. If nadal passes him he's probably the great. But we'll still in a few years
Nadal hasn't won Wimbledon since 2010 and he hasn't won a hard court tournament anywhere in three years. If he wins more Slams it will be at the French Open which will only reinforce his reputation as the clay court GOAT. Djokovic is 29 and not getting any younger. While he may return to form, his game is a big question mark right now. Plus, with 12 GS titles, it is not likely he will win another six at this age. If he did, he would be the first male player in tennis history to do so. So I'd say Federer is safe for a while anyway..

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
One thing I have hardly seen mentioned that greatly contributed to the loss was Matt Ryan hutting (?) the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock basically every play in the 4th quarter. The Falcons gave a ton of time back to NE just by his incompetence with the playclock.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Being that far away he made one heck of a good call then.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I hope Rog chokes on his own puke in his sleep for the next month

How many boxes of tissues has mark Brunell gone through today?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One thing I have hardly seen mentioned that greatly contributed to the loss was Matt Ryan hutting (?) the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock basically every play in the 4th quarter. The Falcons gave a ton of time back to NE just by his incompetence with the playclock.
I noticed the same thing. I couldn't believe what he was doing, but he kept doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad